PDA

View Full Version : Flea collars for bun buns?

buttercup132
04-23-2006, 01:49 PM
I started a new job at a Pet Valu recently and they make us do TONS of reading on everything. I was reading about fleas and stuff and was wondering if a cat flea collar would be ok. They have the emergency elastic so if anything happens they can get free. The cat ones are also made for pets who constantly groom themselves. I dont want Ted to get fleas or my dogs so I'll be getting my dogs flea collars but I was wondering about Ted. I've read that they are ok but thought I'd ask here too.

Also it wouldnt be used for like taking him for walks he would have his harness on for that and it would be a kitten flea collar most likley. But just cause I'm afraid of collars it would come off at night. Or maybe I'd just put it on him while he's outside.http://sc.groups.msn.com/img/R9c/c.gif

jennawing
04-24-2006, 09:25 AM
Flea collars never work- they are a waste of money. You need to treat the yard, the house, and the pets. Frontline plus will work if your yard is treated and they won't pick them up everytime they go out. Bunny shouldn't need any treatment at all if you keep them off the other animals.

BitsyNaceyDog
04-24-2006, 09:51 AM
Flea collars never work- they are a waste of money. You need to treat the yard, the house, and the pets. Frontline plus will work if your yard is treated and they won't pick them up everytime they go out. Bunny shouldn't need any treatment at all if you keep them off the other animals.

I agree. I never never never use flea collars. I don't like them and they work poorly.

Roxyluvsme13
04-24-2006, 10:03 AM
Agreed. Flea collars never work. You would have to use flea medication. Lily uses Revolution with flea and heartworm medicine in it. It treats everything except internal parasites. Roxy uses can't think of it, but ah well. Skye doesnt get flea medicine since she stays inside. I would treat ur carpet, yard, etc...

buttercup132
04-24-2006, 10:05 AM
But arent flea collars a preventative...not a cure.

Roxyluvsme13
04-24-2006, 10:06 AM
But arent flea collars a preventative...not a cure.YES, but they dont work hardly at all.

Kfamr
04-24-2006, 12:58 PM
I wouldn't recommend using flea collars on any of your animals. They are a waste of money.

Flea collars only generally work in the area they are put on, which is the neck and head - your animals will get infested in every other area.

critter crazy
04-24-2006, 01:03 PM
I got my kitty rom my aunt who rescued 7 of them. she had a flea collar on her, and she started to get real sick. come to find out it was from the flea collar!! I have never used them and never will. I use advantage on my dog and cat. and havent had a poblem. My mother in law used a store brand flea repellant and her cat got sick as well! so we both use advantage.

buttercup132
04-24-2006, 02:05 PM
Wow I never knew they were so bad. Thanks

Karen
04-24-2006, 02:12 PM
Ted could get very sick from licking the flea collar. Miss Hoppy has never had a problem with fleas, though she does sometimes go outside. She doesn't interact with other animals, though, as she is an "only child."

dab_20
04-26-2006, 03:43 PM
I agree.... from my experiences with flea collars I find them a waste of money.