PDA

View Full Version : Degu anybody?

sammy_3
04-22-2006, 06:31 PM
I got 3 degus for my birthday. 2 boys ( Max & Jackjak), and 1 girl (sammi). Sammi had 2 babies a girl & a boy, Bobbi and Jack jr. A degu is part gerbil & part chinchilla. They look like a gerbil/ chipmunk mix. We later found out that my mom is alergic to them so I have to get rid of them. If anybody wants them please let me know. If not I will just bring them to the local Petco. In the bottom pictures I have Max & Sammi, then Jackjak. Thanks much!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b199/sammy_3/My%20pets/Maxandsam.jpg http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b199/sammy_3/My%20pets/Jak.jpg

buttercup132
04-23-2006, 09:51 AM
Not the place to say I will just rid of them at petco....:rolleyes: How iiresponsible...why not try selling them through the paper...

Miss Z
04-23-2006, 11:04 AM
Not the place to say I will just rid of them at petco....:rolleyes: How iiresponsible...why not try selling them through the paper...

I agree buttercup, you can advertise in the paper and get people to come to your house to see them. That way you know what kind of people they're going to:)

king2005
04-23-2006, 11:30 AM
instead of getting upset about her giving them to petco, why not educate her as to why its not a good idea?

Alysser
04-23-2006, 12:01 PM
Don't give them to Petco. They are most likley to go to any old home who won't take care of them. Selling them through the paper is a better idea because you can meet the person in person and really see if they are expierenced with degus. Ask them questions so you know where they degus will live, what they are fed, and most importantly if they will be loved. People sometimes go to Petco to buy toddlers/minors a pet to show responsiblity and the animal ends up being forgotten and uncared for. Please reconsider giving them to Petco and rather sell them through the paper.

GekkeGekko
04-25-2006, 03:51 PM
a degu is certainly not part gerbil. It is a caviamorph, related to Chinchilla's (you're right about that part) and guinea pigs...

I also think you should find them nice homes and don't give them to a petshop!

(I guess you keep boys and girls in two cages btw?)

sammy_3
04-26-2006, 08:08 PM
Don't give them to Petco. They are most likley to go to any old home who won't take care of them. Selling them through the paper is a better idea because you can meet the person in person and really see if they are expierenced with degus. Ask them questions so you know where they degus will live, what they are fed, and most importantly if they will be loved. People sometimes go to Petco to buy toddlers/minors a pet to show responsiblity and the animal ends up being forgotten and uncared for. Please reconsider giving them to Petco and rather sell them through the paper.

This is my explaination to why I asked if anybody here wanted my degus. If you look at what Maltese_Love, that is the reason I did not want to give them to a pet store. I was told by very close friends on pet talk to see if anybody wanted them. I was told thet everybody here is very nice and they would make great owners, so I trusted my friends advice and asked if anybody wanted them. So personal I don't think it is iresponsible. I was follow the great comments my friends gave me. I love my degus and to give them to a pet store would really hurt me. I don't know who would get them and how they you treat them.
And yes the males and females are in a different cage. I was told by the sales clerk when I bought the 3 adults that they were all male and was mistakend when my adult female had babies.

luckies4me
04-30-2006, 01:23 PM
This is one thing that upsets me. Degus are not part gerbil and chinchilla. They are completely different. Please everyone, before getting an exotic pet research it first!!! :rolleyes: Also, in case you didn't know you cannot give them to petco. They are exotic animals and in order to place/sell etc you need a permit from USDA, to breed as well. If you did that you would be breaking the law, as would Petco. Just FYI. ;)

flamepony12
04-30-2006, 03:57 PM
This is one thing that upsets me. Degus are not part gerbil and chinchilla. They are completely different. Please everyone, before getting an exotic pet research it first!!! :rolleyes: Also, in case you didn't know you cannot give them to petco. They are exotic animals and in order to place/sell etc you need a permit from USDA, to breed as well. If you did that you would be breaking the law, as would Petco. Just FYI. ;)

Nice job, Cass XD