PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm... trying to choose the right dog

Cats*Rule
04-21-2006, 11:00 PM
My mom and I are trying to find the perfect dog for us. We live in a small apartment with 4 cats. We are looking for a small dog and can't handle much grooming or barking. A short haired one. We do not want a pro groomer. A dog that does not need much excersize and can use a litter box on occasion would be perfect. Can you help us choose the right dog?

zoomer
04-21-2006, 11:03 PM
Well... I think Chihuahuas bark too much. Maybe a Toy Manchester Terrier? And maybe a standard but they are medium sized not small dogs. Toy Manchesters are the size of Chihuahuas and standards are about two times the toy one's size. I was thinking of a yorkie but they require very much hair care. There's not really a toy dog that doesn't bark :p Well, maybe a Norflok Terrier or a Dachshund???

sammy101
04-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Italian Greyhound,Boston Terrier,French bulldog,Pug? I'm not really sure,i'm sure otheres have better recommendations :o

zoomer
04-21-2006, 11:31 PM
Italian Greyhound,Boston Terrier,French bulldog,Pug? I'm not really sure,i'm sure otheres have better recommendations :o

Nice ideas I think Italian Greyhound and Boston Terriers would be a great choice for you, April. French Bulldogs and Pugs sounds great for you, too!

luvofallhorses
04-21-2006, 11:37 PM
go to http://www.petfinder.com and do a search. :)

IRescue452
04-22-2006, 09:22 AM
Definately not a doxie. I think an italian greyhound would be a nice addition. They act like cats some people say, and if you do litter train it I don't see it having problems getting in and out of the box like would a pug or frenchie.

Alysser
04-22-2006, 09:45 AM
I'm thinking of a toy breed. Like a Chi or maybe a Maltese. Italian Greyhounds have very short hair and don't need much walks. Even big greyhounds dont need as much walks as thought to by most people.

Lori Jordan
04-22-2006, 10:04 AM
Minature Yorkies are great my friend has one and she is a doll!!

Anita Cholaine
04-22-2006, 10:09 AM
I agree with the suggestions above... Italian Greyhound, Boston Terrier and French Bulldogs might be good breeds for you! Maybe a Chihuahua too?

Dachshunds are definitely a bad idea... Maybe they are short, but they need lots of exercise and attention... My Anita could never live in an apartment!

As Krista said, go to PetFinder and do a search there too!

Good luck finding the right dog! :)

CathyBogart
04-22-2006, 11:27 AM
If you like pugs I would suggest a pug....but do go loot on www.petfinder.com as someone else suggested...perhaps the perfect little Heinz-57 mutt is waiting for you...

sammy101
04-22-2006, 04:37 PM
and yes look on petfinder! :) Like suggested by a few other people.