PDA

View Full Version : Happy May Day to all our Pet Talk friends!!!

AmberLee
05-01-2002, 12:15 AM
May this May Day bring you many :D :D :D , and happiness!!!

Love to all our Pet Talk friends from:

Amber Lee, Cassy and Livvy

Fuzzy317
05-01-2002, 12:17 AM
Yes, Happy May Day to everyone.

zippy-kat
05-01-2002, 12:21 AM
Happy, Happy May Day to youuuuuuuuuu!

AmberLee
05-01-2002, 01:02 AM
My darling Romeo delight-of-fur!!!

Mommy hasn't let me alone near the keyboard since I asked if I could come live with you, but tonight she said I could send holiday wishes to my heart's delight, my knight in furry armor, my treasure! May Day means so much to me, beloved, because it's the start of the month that brought you to Earth to frolic and bring me delight. Purrs! Headbumpies! Ear nibblies!! Nose sniffies!!! The thought of you makes me swoonies, my Oliver!

Mommy made pasta the other night and the sight of a colander made me weak in the knees (I think I have knees? My legs got wobblies so I must...)

I'm going to my windowseat to yell sweet nothings to the wind to waft them to my beloved...

your own Jewel-iette!

Livvy

P.S. That was just to fool Mom. I really need to run around the house like a fuzzy little loon to burn off the energy I get when I dream of licking your ears!!! (These things freak Mommy out so I don't tell her about them. Humans freak out easy, you know.) :cool: ;) :rolleyes:

Former User
05-01-2002, 02:16 AM
Happy 1st of May everyone!!!

05-01-2002, 03:13 AM
What a funny reply AmberLee !!!!! I had a good laugh !!

and I join the chorus : Happy May Day !!!! (it is raining here ....:eek: :rolleyes: )

LoudLou
05-01-2002, 03:41 AM
HAPPY MAY DAY!!!!!!!http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/flowerface.gif

Ann
05-01-2002, 04:53 AM
Happy 1st of May :)

Does people in other countries burn a fire on a lake on the last day of April, to welcome May? Just curious...

lynnestankard
05-01-2002, 05:46 AM
Happy 1st May to all Pet Talkers.

No Ann no bonfires here - but it sounds lovely and dare I say very Viking?:D !!!!!

Lynne

anna_66
05-01-2002, 06:56 AM
Happy Mayday everyone!!! http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/flower.gif (http://)

Randi
05-01-2002, 07:29 AM
And Happy 1.st of May to all of you Pettalkers! It stopped raining here too! :D

Fister & his mum ;)

Former User
05-01-2002, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Ann
Happy 1st of May :)

Does people in other countries burn a fire on a lake on the last day of April, to welcome May? Just curious...

Nope, but in June we do in Finland though....

Dixieland Dancer
05-01-2002, 08:39 AM
Happy May Day Everyone!

It is my brothers birthday so the family is gathering tonight for a birthday party. Tomorrow is my hubby's birthday so another party tomorrow. Everyone has to have their own day! LOL

BUT... tomorrow is someone elses' special day too! DUSTY TURNS ONE YEAR OLD!!!

His birthday party is going to be May 11th since Dixie is entered in a hunt test both days this weekend and we are actually going out of town for it. All the puppies are planning on coming on the 11th though for a big party!

jackiesdaisy1935
05-01-2002, 09:02 AM
HAPPY MAY DAY to everyone. I woke up to find the sun shining, my pups happy, what more can one ask?
Jackie

lynnestankard
05-01-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer
Happy May Day Everyone!

It is my brothers birthday so the family is gathering tonight for a birthday party. Tomorrow is my hubby's birthday so another party tomorrow. Everyone has to have their own day! LOL

BUT... tomorrow is someone elses' special day too! DUSTY TURNS ONE YEAR OLD!!!

His birthday party is going to be May 11th since Dixie is entered in a hunt test both days this weekend and we are actually going out of town for it. All the puppies are planning on coming on the 11th though for a big party!

Wow Candy their all sharing My Birthday - Yippeeeeeee:D :D

Lynne

purrley
05-01-2002, 12:47 PM
IT'S MAY, IT'S MAY, THE LUSTY MONTH OF MAY.
EVERYONE HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE NEWNESS OF IT ALL!!!!:)

AND ALL YOUS OUT THERE WITH UN-SPAYED BABIES - HOPE YA GOT BABY FEVER:p

momoffuzzyfaces
05-01-2002, 01:02 PM
HAPPY MAY DAY!!!
Spring is here soon to melt into summer, a time of picnics, sun, and fun. No worring about water pipes freezing, falling on ice and breaking something, or homeless animals shivering in the cold. (At least in our section of the world)Yeah!! May!!!:D

Crikit
05-01-2002, 09:26 PM
I'm confused now...just what is Mayday...besides being the first of may. I'm really confused, really really.

Oh well whatever it is...HAPPY MAYDAY!

AmberLee
05-02-2002, 12:48 AM
Different cultures have different customs. I have a very dear friend who was raised to celebrate May Day by making baskets of wild flowers and surprising friends and loved ones in the early morning with mystery gifts of them. I just got nostolgic (sp?) for my friend Jane when I realized it was a few hours before May Day and since I couldn't sneak around and leave baskets of flowers on your doorknobs ... I made a wish instead. {How lame this sounds! Oh well, the intention was good. ;) }

anna_66
05-02-2002, 07:06 AM
Oh, I always loved Mayday when I was in school. We would make little baskets with candy and flowers and take them to all our friends houses. It really was fun!

DoggiesAreTheBest
05-02-2002, 07:47 AM
Ok, got a question? What's the significance of May day?
I have never heard of it.

Ann
05-02-2002, 07:58 AM
DoggiesAreTheBest: In Sweden the festival is a (pagan) rite to honor the return of Spring. Here, the important part is the eve of the last day in April, where we make make big bonfires (preferably on a lake) and greet the spring with a lot of singing. The last day in April is called "Valborgs(mässoafton)", Valborg is the Scandinavian name for the Catholic saint Walpurgis who was/is belived to be the patron of witches (this is of course not certified by the church). Her day is the first of May and, like I said, Walpurgis night is the night before May first on which nature was suppossed to be potent.

EDIT: Ooops, I didn't see your post until I posted Spencer, sorry! I hope you don't think I didn't value your post, because that's not the case. BTW, I had no clue it was Jean d'Arc's (I wonder why her name is different in English...) birthday, so thanks for letting me know that. We learn something new everyday :)

squills
05-02-2002, 06:39 PM
It is not Jeanne d'Arc's birthday that is celebrated, it is her defense of France against invading forces that is celebrated on May 1.

Here's a good place to start your research on May Day, if you are so inclined!

http://salmonriver.com/words/nancy/maia.html

Crikit
05-02-2002, 07:42 PM
Oh so that's what mayday is, makes everything a little clearer now, I guess it's not celebrated in Canada or at least Alberta because I've never heard it mentioned here, here it's just the first of May, the only holiday we celebrate in may is Victoria day.

lynnestankard
05-03-2002, 04:37 AM
When I was a little girl (eons ago) at school we would dance round the Maypole and the nature of the dance would weave the ribbons round the pole in pretty patterns. We would have a Queen of the May and she would wear a long dress and a long train with flowers in her hair. As far as us little ones were concerned it was a lovely different school day!!
Over here 1st May was always looked upon as the first day of Spring.
Years ago - yes before I was born!! - young girls would go out at dawn on May Day and wash their face in the morning dew - if I remember history lessons properly, this was supposed to make them attractive to members of the opposite sex!
Young people would go out into the forests collecting boughs of young green trees - this was called 'Maying' then the whole day turned into a sort of village picnic and celebration. The young people would drift back into the woods and forests..............
Lots of babies were born in February!!!
And like Sweden early celebrations were Pagan - a sense that winter was over and the land was warming again as the sun rose higher.
Sorry I've gone on a bit!!

Lynne