PDA

View Full Version : Nor Cal PT Meeting - Ft. Funston (?)

Giselle
04-21-2006, 04:12 PM
We haven't had a N. Cal PT meeting for about a year now, and I think we're long overdue for one ;) Everybody's getting new additions so I think it'd be nice to meet at a local beach like Fort Funston: http://www.fortfunstondog.org/
If you know where the SF Zoo is, this beach is right behind it.

Who's up for it? And if you have any ideas to contribute, chime in! :D

caseysmom
04-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Sounds fun! So coming from the sacto area can I bypass downtown san francisco?

Maybe I can find a pet friendly hotel nearby and do an overnight.

CathyBogart
04-22-2006, 11:51 AM
I can come this year! Yay! I'll brave SF to see fellow PTers. :)

RedHedd
04-22-2006, 01:55 PM
The weather really sucks in that part of town, but if that's the only pet-friendly park, I'm game. What about - shoot, I don't know the name of the park, but it's on Sacramento Street between Laguna and Gough. They have a huge dog run there. Either way, I'm just up or down the street (or across town from Ft. Funston)

Giselle
04-22-2006, 11:48 PM
I'm not good with SF, but are you talking about Chrissy field? Or maybe that big baseball-type field near the church (I think it's like Church St. or something)? I don't think the field near the church is dog friendly anymore, though. The thing is, I want to be able to let Giselle off leash and I can't if it isn't a fully fenced field. However, I'd be more than willing to keep her on lead if it's more convenient for the rest of you :) Ideas are certainly welcome. I'm not too familiar with SF, so SF-natives speak up! :)

RedHedd
04-23-2006, 10:43 AM
LOL, no it's not Crissy field. I had to look it up (and I'm a native San Franciscan and have lived here all my life) - It's Lafayette Park. It's not fenced, but it is an elevated park with picnic facilities and, like I said, a HUGE dog run and dogs are allowed off-leash there, in fact I think it's encouraged. I love watching the dogs play with each other in that park. I'll see if I can find out anything about making reservations for an event.

RedHedd
04-23-2006, 10:52 AM
I will call the Park and Rec department tomorrow to find out about reservations or permit requirements for a gathering. Here's a list of dog-friendly parks in San Francisco:

San Francisco's Officially Sanctioned DogZones
Within the City of San Francisco, local regulations dictate that "dogs must be leashed at ALL times when not on their owner's property." This is a drag, but to mitigate the severity of this harsh and unjust regulation, the SF Recreation and Park Department has designated the following areas where dogs may run off leash, provided they are with their humans:

Golden Gate Park (SE):
Section bounded by Lincoln Way, King Drive, 2nd and 7th Avenues.
Golden Gate Park (NE):
Northeast corner at Stanyan and Grove Streets.
Golden Gate Park (SW):
Section bounded by King Drive, Middle Drive, 34th and 38th Avenues.
Golden Gate Park (NW):
Dog Training Area (fenced), at 38th and Fulton Streets.
Buena Vista Park:
Buena Vista West and Central Street.
Mountain Lake Park:
East End at 8th Avenue.
Stern Grove (North side):
Wawona Street between 21st and 23rd Avenues.
Lake Merced (North Section):
Lake Merced Boulevard and Middlefield.
Bernal Heights: - author's recommendation
Entire top section bounded by Bernal Heights Boulevard. This is an absolutely great place to walk, the vistas are spectacular. There is ample parking. Some two years ago or so one person was mugged on the hill, while I think it is generally safe it is important to use common sense when walking at night.
McLaren Park (North):
Top section bounded by Shelley Drive.
McLaren Park (South):
South section, accessible via the 1600 block of Geneva or Sunnydale.
Potrero Hill Mini Park:
22nd Street between Arkansas and Connecticut.
Dolores Park:
18th Street between Dolores and Church Streets.
Lafayette Park:
Sacramento between Octavia and Gough.
Corona Heights:
Area adjacent to Randall Field, Museum and Roosevelt Ways.
Alta Plaza Park:
Clay between Scott & Steiner on 2nd Terrace.
Douglas Playground:
Between the fence and Diamond Heights boulevard at the end of 27th Street.

So there you go - a LOT of choices for a PT meeting in San Francisco :)

wolflady
04-30-2006, 11:39 PM
One of my colleagues takes her dog to Fort Funston every week. I've been wanting to meet up with her there, so perhaps this would be a good place to meet! :)

sandragonfly
05-01-2006, 10:15 AM
nooo, not san francisco parks! (ex-californian here, for good? perhaps).. :) I've been to all, except potrero hill park - and to a few too that are not listed here. most of them aren't great because you have to pay, register, license your dog first, keep your dog(s) on leash, uptight owners/dogs and especially, parking! all pain in neck ..

and I'm telling ya - this, all free park, fort funston (in daly city) is the best!! crayola calls it his ol' disneyland and he sure misses it. (for me, hometown and that dogdom are the most places I miss!) off leash crayola and I walked there every friday/saturday for two years. I worked at san francisco ZOO as well during these years, we get to walk there after and before work. almost everyone we know walks by! trust me, it's awesome one, zillions of friendly dogs/owners/volunteers there!

reddhedd, yes, fort funtson is often foggy/windy but not always! going there at around noon to 2-3 would be best. for us, hopefully one sunny day. it's summer for california soon so should be okay. I swear, once we go there, we all will forget how chilly we were! lol. :p too much fun..

I really hope you'll take giselle's suggestion - fort funston - and I pray we can gather around in mid-june, that's when I'll be visiting california! :D going and stop by at fort funston is one thing to do for sure no matter what. :cool:

bckrazy
05-01-2006, 05:03 PM
Sophie, I think Ft Funston would be really fun! But, knowing so little about SF, I'm down for whatever. I would prefer an off-leash area that doesn't have too many dogs or that isn't very small/enclosed, because Gonzo kind of freaks out in small/crowded dog parks and I wouldn't feel comfortable bringing him.

I am cool with doing something before July, since with the new pup he can safely play with other dogs starting in mid/late-June. :) I'm really glad you guys might be coming, it would be fun to see you again, Caseysmom! Also... why don't we ever hang out around here? peh. I've been reaaally busy, I'm sure you have too! We should let the dogs play around Sacto sometime this summer! ^^

flamepony12
05-04-2006, 10:35 PM
askfuahw3! I want to come. XD Maybe Merlin will end up going up there, and we'll be around the area.. heh.. that'd be cool. I shouldn't get my heart set though. :P

caseysmom
05-05-2006, 11:11 AM
I need to take bubba to the dog park some more before this. There is an aussie in the neighborhood that is casey's buddy, she hadn't seen him for months and I saw his dad out walking him and his sister this morning so I leashed up the pups and took them out to say hi. Bubba was a total monster snarling at the female and being a jerk, casey basically attacked bubba twice to put him in his place.

pnance
05-06-2006, 01:20 AM
This sounds like fun and I'd love to meet some new PTer's. Depending on when you decide to do this, maybe I can take a long weekend and drive up, I love SF. Hunter was there with me last time and I managed to get a hotel right on the wharf. He couldn't figure out what the seals were. :rolleyes:

BCBlondie
05-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Hey guys!! I haven't been here in ages. Just came across this thread and wanted to let you all know that I miss you and would love to meet up with you all again. I'm totally up for a Norcal meeting!! Especially since now the sun is FINALLYYYY starting to come out :rolleyes: (after hiding for months :( )

A lot has happened over the last year on this end.. both good and bad. So we have a lot of catching up to do! And I hear Erica is getting a Corgi????? :D

Keep me updated on when and where. Sundays are best for me! (I work or go to school all other days of the week :( Sundays are my only free days)

I would love to go to Fort Funston. I've never been there but have heard so many good things about it. Or we could meet again where we met last time - the Cesar Chavez park by the Berkeley Marina. Whatever you guys decide, lemme know!

I hope I'm not intruding your meeting by wanting to come, I know I haven't been on PT for a looong time :o

caseysmom
05-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Of course you wouldn't be intruding...sunday works for me. Erica got her pup!

bckrazy
05-10-2006, 01:34 AM
OMG Di! =) You definitely have a lot of catching up to do, fool. I haven't talked to you for soooo long! I'd love to see you and your pups again.

Sunday is way best for me too, I have Flyball & Obedience on Saturdays. June 18th or July 2nd would be best for me, but whatever is good for you guys.

BCBlondie
05-11-2006, 12:48 PM
June 18 sounds great!!!
I may or may not be in the state of California in July... >.< depending on how things go at work with my boss and new employees and stuff..

ANYways... yeah.. I have so much to tell you guys, but I think I'd rather just wait and show you at the meeting than say anything right now. Torturing is fun :D

So have you guys decided on a location yet?

bckrazy
05-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Awesome! Is June 18 ok for everyone else? That or June 25?

hm... "show" us? Why are you so cruel? >:[

caseysmom
05-19-2006, 09:53 PM
Erica, I never got back to this, as far as I know June 18 or the 25th is okay, I will check my daughters dive schedule.

bckrazy
05-20-2006, 03:46 AM
I prefer the 25th, but whatever is good with everyone else. Anyone have a preference?

Should we have a picnic, or just hang out? I think it'd be cute if we had a picnic and each of us brought something! For the dogs and the people ;0)

BCBlondie
05-21-2006, 02:35 AM
well June 18 is best for me.. my cousin has a graduation party thing on the 24th so I'll probably be at her house still on the 25th since they live kinda far...

bckrazy
06-13-2006, 12:09 AM
hm... Well, the 18th is 6 days away!! Since not a lot of us are replying, maybe we should push it into July? I don't have anything against July. ^^ Gonzo's b-day is in July!

sandragonfly
08-14-2006, 07:54 PM
bumping this up, hoping somebody/everybody could meet us, me & crayola this saturday! (the 19th?)

we went to this, fort funston park every single day since we've been here and maybe you could meet us there. we'll be there, pet talk or not! :cool: ;) last day before we leave back for new york on sunday .. :(

hey, I promise you won't regret. you get to see a view of san francisco from there too. oh, the park also is connected to our beach if any of your dog(s) wants water! just windy, but the sun been promising.

anybody coming along? :)

sandragonfly
08-23-2006, 04:39 PM
yikes .. just about we left there - a friend of mine sent me this news .. (happened the day after we flew back to new york after going fort funston for ten days straight) -

August 21st Shooting (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/08/21/MNG3TKMPP86.DTL) .. :( :(

I couldn't believe it happened at THAT park! this shooter killed himself too, had problems with himself so hope it'll be the first and last one! I can't imagine if everyone is gone now...afraid going there again. :( it was the best, best community park ever seen.

a doggy-family park, really. crayola & I already missed being there..

sigh.

RedHedd
08-30-2006, 02:14 PM
This just never took off. Any cat shows in the S.F. Bay Area coming up?