PDA

View Full Version : What would be the best?

Sevaede
04-21-2006, 03:44 PM
I am trying to figure out what to purchase for my sister (thirteen years old). Should I get her a fish tank and a few fish or a guinea pig? She is starting to go through that awkward, independent age and I think she really needs some companionship. You know, something small and easy to care for to mend and melt away the feelings when she is down. The parentals are going through a divorce so she is pretty torn. (If it is anything furry then I will go to the humane society there in town)

Lady's Human
04-21-2006, 03:49 PM
I'd go with fuzzy, personally. Fish are okay, but they're pretty tough to hug/cuddle with when you're in the dumps.(not to mention slimy) :p

Roxyluvsme13
04-21-2006, 03:54 PM
FURRY! Get her a puppy! They always want to be loved on and played with, and mine sure do cheer me up.

Muddy4paws
04-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Is a dog or cat an option?

I love guinea pigs I find them so calming to be around but the noise can get to some people.

sammy101
04-21-2006, 04:18 PM
furry. Out of what you said,i would go with a Guinea Pig( though i dont know much about them...)

Miss Z
04-21-2006, 04:57 PM
I would choose guinea pig out of that choice. Will this be her first pet? Maybe she'd like a little hamster, they are very straight forward to look after and cute and cuddly too, and maybe a little less difficult to clean out than a guinea pig;) I would suggest a rat, but unfortunately they are not everyone's cup of tea and maybe not a first pet, although I must say that Tia cannot be beaten on cheering me up when I'm down:)

IRescue452
04-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Go with the small mammal. Perhaps you can look on petfinder and find one to rescue in your area. The initial cost of a proper tank will be more than for a small mammal cage and it will take much more time to get it up and running proper.

Misty_Pearl
04-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Personally - I would choose a chinchilla as they live the longest of the small furry animals.

Suki Wingy
04-21-2006, 07:49 PM
I think a hamster or a gerbil or a guinea pig is a good idea. Make sure she knows and wants it first though to avoid... you know. Most humane societies/shelters make everyone in the family be present when adopting any way. I would not suggest a chinchilla as a first pet. They can be difficult (never had one but knew one and did extensive research when I thought I would be able to get one.) If she can handle it, a rabbit may be good too. I would suggest a calm breed like a dutch.

Sevaede
04-21-2006, 09:33 PM
I'd go with fuzzy, personally. Fish are okay, but they're pretty tough to hug/cuddle with when you're in the dumps.(not to mention slimy) :p

Haha, yeah, I better go with something furry. :D

Sevaede
04-21-2006, 09:38 PM
FURRY! Get her a puppy! They always want to be loved on and played with, and mine sure do cheer me up.

You know, I was thinking about that. I really do believe that she is responsible enough to care for one as well because, well, the blatantly obvious displays of responsibility.

Roxyluvsme13
04-21-2006, 09:40 PM
You know, I was thinking about that. I really do believe that she is responsible enough to care for one as well because, well, the blatantly obvious displays of responsibility.
Yay puppies! Of course a bit on the biased side...heh, I say Pomeranians! They're really sweet loving dogs, and they're very furry and cuddly :D (well at least mine is!)

Sevaede
04-21-2006, 09:41 PM
Is a dog or cat an option?

I love guinea pigs I find them so calming to be around but the noise can get to some people.

I think so. It would have to be a small pooch though because the parentals are not fans of big dogs. So, something about the size of a field spaniel or less.

The guinea pig I had was really calm and quiet. He was definitely awesome.

Sevaede
04-21-2006, 09:44 PM
furry. Out of what you said,i would go with a Guinea Pig( though i dont know much about them...)

Well, I am going to get her a book and print out some information on whatever I get her PRIOR to actually getting it so she can be prepared. However, her parentals already have two Doxies. One is about five and the other is almost a year.

Sevaede
04-21-2006, 09:49 PM
I would choose guinea pig out of that choice. Will this be her first pet? Maybe she'd like a little hamster, they are very straight forward to look after and cute and cuddly too, and maybe a little less difficult to clean out than a guinea pig;) I would suggest a rat, but unfortunately they are not everyone's cup of tea and maybe not a first pet, although I must say that Tia cannot be beaten on cheering me up when I'm down:)

Heh, well her parentals already have two Doxies (1 and 5). We've also had a mouse, a guinea pig, and NUMEROUS hamsters. Her parents used to breed hammies. However, her last hammie was not the friendliest and I don't think she would want one. Rats are awesome even though mine was neurotic. What do you think about a gerbil? I've had a gerbil for a week now and he's GREAT. :D

Sevaede
04-21-2006, 09:55 PM
Go with the small mammal. Perhaps you can look on petfinder and find one to rescue in your area. The initial cost of a proper tank will be more than for a small mammal cage and it will take much more time to get it up and running proper.

Yep, that was the plan. They have a humane society where she lives and I was planning on visiting and taking her there to look at the small animals. I was thinking about the tank costs and whatnot and I agree, that would probably be a little difficult and confusing for someone who didn't know what they were doing.

Sevaede
04-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Personally - I would choose a chinchilla as they live the longest of the small furry animals.

Are they of relatively low maintenance?

Sevaede
04-21-2006, 10:01 PM
I think a hamster or a gerbil or a guinea pig is a good idea. Make sure she knows and wants it first though to avoid... you know. Most humane societies/shelters make everyone in the family be present when adopting any way. I would not suggest a chinchilla as a first pet. They can be difficult (never had one but knew one and did extensive research when I thought I would be able to get one.) If she can handle it, a rabbit may be good too. I would suggest a calm breed like a dutch.

Oh yeah, she knows because we've been talking about it for a while (and so do the parentals). I don't think she wants another hammie. It will probably be a gerbil or guinea pig because the previous experiences have been GREAT with them. A rabbit would be good but we would definitely have to take up the suggestion on a CALM one because the last one I had (we were living together) was NUTS towards anyone, and anything, but myself.

Sevaede
04-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Yay puppies! Of course a bit on the biased side...heh, I say Pomeranians! They're really sweet loving dogs, and they're very furry and cuddly :D (well at least mine is!)

Well, then, we'll have to see if they have a Pomeranian at the shelter (if the parentals say yes) some time soon. :D

Miss Z
04-22-2006, 04:58 AM
What do you think about a gerbil? I've had a gerbil for a week now and he's GREAT. :D

Well, I've never had a gerbil, but have been thinking about getting one for my brother, so I'm kind of in the same situation as you:rolleyes: . Gerbils probably have the same maintenance as hamsters, but I understand they're quicker than hammies and escape easily from your hands. It sounds as if you really like your gerbil, so you're probably more experienced than me on this one;)

Are they of relatively low maintenance?

I really don't recommend chinchillas as a first pet. They can have rather highly strung temperaments and need a very large cage, so there's a lot of cleaning out to do, and they also need daily dust baths. They are also not that easy to tame accordinmg to some who have kept them in the past. They are beautiful to look at and have lovely soft fur, which does need special grooming. Of course there will be chins out there that are little angels, but not necessarily the majority. They're also pretty expensive too, over here you can pay well over £100 for one, that's just for the chinchilla, and they need a regulated diet to prevent them from getting ill. After my first rabbit died, I decided to have a look at chinchillas. Whilst I found them very sweet, holding them was as easy as holding wet soap. At the time I was 10 years old, but even now at 14 I don't know how well I could hold onto them. Also, a family friend who bred chinchillas for shows DID NOT recommend them as a young person's pet. One of the things she did say is that they are pretty much a life long commitment, apparently it's not unusual for chins to live well into their twenties, so unless your sister is prepared to care for a chin into life where she may be going to university and maybe even getting married, then maybe they're not the pet for her.

carole
04-22-2006, 05:21 AM
How about a beautiful baby bunny , i was patting a minature rex at the pet shop, his fur was like velvet, the other bunnies were soft but nothing in comparison, they are so cute and cuddly and not too hard for a 13 yr old to look after

BitsyNaceyDog
04-22-2006, 08:30 AM
This would probably get more knowledgeable responses in pet general.

I've pretty much had it all at one time or another. A lot of others on PT have too, you'll be more apt to find them in pet General though.

Fish are nice to look at but that's about it. I've never been too big on fish, though I know a lot of people here do really like them.

Hamsters aren't too hard to care for, but they aren't always the nicest of pets. I've had very easy going hamsters and very nippy hamsters.

Gerbils- I've not actually had one myself, but my husband had one when we were dating. I really liked the little guy, but he was really fast and hard to hold on to.

Guinea pigs are more work than smaller rodents. Mostly because there is more cleaning. I cleaned them daily as opposed to weekly for the smaller rodents. They of corse also need a larger cage than a lot of other pets. They tend to be very sweet though.

Rabbits are great, but they too need a larger cage and males often spray. They're no too difficult to litter box train though (I suggest a covered box).

Ferrets have always been a favorite of mine. They do have an oder though. They aren't too hard to care for but aren't the easiest either.

Chinchillas- I absolutely do not recommend a chinchilla. I love mine dearly, but they can be a rather difficult pet.

Rats are also one of my favorite rodents. They are a great pet to play with or to sit and watch TV with.

Mice are also a favorite of mine. Because of their small size they are less cleaning than a lot of other pets. Their cage also takes up less room. They're generally very sweet and easy to hold.

Cockatiels are probably my favorite small pet. Birds aren't for everyone though.

Budgies (parakeets) are also great, though I prefer cockatiels.

Most reptiles I don't recommend for kids (though 13 isn't really a kid anymore). Reptiles needs are often more challenging. I've never had a leopard gecko but from what I know of them they aren't too difficult and are generally a good starter reptile.

I don't know your family's situation with the divorce, but if there's any possibility of a move (especially to a rental house or apartment) I don't suggest a dog or cat.

If you have any questions please PM me, I'll be happy to help you if I can.
Good Luck!

IRescue452
04-22-2006, 09:16 AM
Well the family seems to have quite a bit of experience so she could go with anything. I don't know why somebody thought of suggesting a chinchilla. Chinchillas in my experience aren't as aloof as people say, but they do need a big, multi-story preferrably, cage and lots of expensive stuff like dust bath. My sister's cage is the size of Autumn's 5 foot by 36" kennel. I'd personally go with the guinea pig. The are big enough to let out of the cage without holding them and are more friendly than gerbils I'd say. Not that you can't cuddle a gerbil, but they are small and quick. I guess it depends on her preference though. Good luck finding a nice pet.

BitsyNaceyDog
04-22-2006, 10:13 AM
I don't know why somebody thought of suggesting a chinchilla. Chinchillas in my experience aren't as aloof as people say, but they do need a big, multi-story preferrably, cage and lots of expensive stuff like dust bath. My sister's cage is the size of Autumn's 5 foot by 36" kennel.

You're right. Mine come right to the cage door whenever I walk into the room. They don't mind being touched, however they don't really like being held. When out of their cage they are nearly impossible to catch, they run and jump around so quickly, I always have to bribe them back into their cage. I don't really consider them aloof, but they aren't as personable as other animals.

Misty_Pearl
04-27-2006, 03:11 AM
This would probably get more knowledgeable responses in pet general.

Ferrets have always been a favorite of mine. They do have an oder though. They aren't too hard to care for but aren't the easiest either.

[k!

I wouldn't recommend a ferret. While I love my ferrets and have had them for over 10 years - ferrets arn't normally an animal that likes to cuddle. I have heard of ferrets that liked to sleep and cuddle etc with it's owner but I have never had one personally; plus if the length of life was part of the choice - a ferret can live up to 12 years which is quite a long time. Ferrets also, if they are to stay in a cage need 4 hours and up of human interaction and play time daily - Not what I would call a low maintenance animal and ferret food is quite expensive. Of course that is if the ferret is properly taken care of.

I also had the privalage of being owned by more than one guinea pig and while they are great and sweet - they are VERY noisy and messy throwing their bedding everywhere. And an aquarium home is not the best choise as it can cause a lot of respiratory problems in your cavi.

Honestly if looking for ease of care and the length of life is not a consideration - a cat is the best choice. Easy to care for, loves to cuddle if in the mood, loves attention and all that you have to do is feed water and scoop a litter box. Quite the easiest animal to own.

buttercup132
04-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Oh yeah, she knows because we've been talking about it for a while (and so do the parentals). I don't think she wants another hammie. It will probably be a gerbil or guinea pig because the previous experiences have been GREAT with them. A rabbit would be good but we would definitely have to take up the suggestion on a CALM one because the last one I had (we were living together) was NUTS towards anyone, and anything, but myself.
The last rabbit you had probly wasnt very socialized, and was there for scared of people. If you get one at a young age and socialize it properly then it should be fine. Or better yet go get one from the humane society so you know what the personality is good. I think rabbits make amazing pets I couldnt imagine my life without one. Anymore questions about them you can pm me.