PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here making his own jam or jelly?

Kirsten
04-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Last year, I started making my own marmelades and jellies, and I love to experiment with different kinds of fruit.

My favourite is still apple jelly with vanilla and cinnamon, or peaches with cinnamon. Today, I tried something else: rhubarb/apple with vanilla and pineapple/banana with coco. No idea how this will turn out in the end. LOL

Does anyone here have some interesting recipes for jams or jellies? Just curious about your faves! :)

Kirsten

Uabassoon
04-21-2006, 03:04 PM
I used to make them when I was a kid, my grandmother would send me out and I'd pick berries then when my basket was full we'd make jellies. I wish I had some recipies to share but I really don't remember any of them! My dad makes a really good mango jam it's my favorite. When I go home to visit him I always make sure to bring a jar or two back with me.

Kirsten
04-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Mango jam sounds yummy! I think I'm trying to make some later this year when mangos are available. :)

Kirsten

lizbud
04-21-2006, 06:59 PM
My Grandmother (Dad's Mom) made Apple Butter & other jams & jellies.
Used to can veggies too. I loved watching her as a child. :) Sorry that
I never picked up that talent.

kuhio98
04-21-2006, 07:10 PM
I love to make make jam. My favorites are rhubbarb and orange marmalade and I also like apple butter. A few years ago for Christmas, I gave everyone orange marmalade that I had mixed with a few cranberries. It was a huge hit. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to duplicate the recipe again.

Karen
04-21-2006, 10:57 PM
Haven't done so in years and years (my yard is smallish and dark and grows rocks better than anything else) but Lady's Human and I grew up as grandchildren of a farmer (once he retired from mechanic/factory work) and so have made countless jellies and jams. Currant jelly, raspberry jelly, strawberry jam, quince jelly, rosehip jelly, mint jelly (apple jelly with mint infused), raspberry jam, never rhubarb, that we froze so it would be pie-ready midwinter), and did canning of pears, apple sauce, tomatoes - lots and lots and lots of tomatoes, because of course they all ripen at once, pickles of several sorts, piccalilli and pepper relish, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. And Ma made ginger jam as an experiment one year, it was strong enough to clear your sinuses unless you spread it really, really thin!

It's hot, sweet, hard work, but worth it midwinter.