PDA

View Full Version : Getting Braces Tomorrow :(

BC_MoM
04-20-2006, 10:16 PM
Tomorrow at 9:00 I'll be getting braces for my overbite and bottom teeth overcrowding .. for 12 months. :(

I'm scared and nervous.. I suck with pain. And now I'll be the classic nerd.. glasses first, and now BRACES.

Someone just be brutality honest with me.. how much do they really hurt?

luvofallhorses
04-20-2006, 10:19 PM
I've always needed braces, but never have got them. Good luck, I am sure you'll be fine! **hugs**

Alysser
04-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Jess, your not a nerd. I have no clue if they hurt or not because I don't need them. It's only a year. Not like most of my friends, who must wear them for over 2 years. Good luck! :)

Karen
04-20-2006, 10:49 PM
They make your mouth sore for a few days each time you either have them put on, or they adjust the wire. It's not a sharp pain, like stubbing your toe, or banging your shin, it's a dull ache. It goes away pretty quickly, and it is worth it in the end. Been there, done that! :D And have the straight teeth to prove it!

binka_nugget
04-20-2006, 10:54 PM
Don't worry! It's not as bad as you think. It'll be sore for a couple days but the pain's not unbearable.

I actually kinda miss my braces... :p

GoldenRetrLuver
04-20-2006, 10:55 PM
I had braces for almost two years.
When I first got them on, I couldn't eat much of anything for about a week, it took some getting used to and they felt a little sore. If it starts to ache, be sure to stock up on lots of wax -- it's a lifesaver!

But no, they're really not as bad as they sound or look. The tightening and adjustments every month or so can be a pain, but it's all worth it in the end. :)

Tollers-n-Dobes
04-20-2006, 11:13 PM
I had them too...they are not any where near as bad as people make them out to be. They hurt at first because they're moving your teeth but it's not horrible, after about 3-5 days they pain is gone. When you get them adjusted they hurt a little because again, they're moving your teeth but it's not bad at all. I had mine on for 2 1/2 years, I didn't mind them at all, in fact I kinda missed them when they were off...lol...it felt like I was missing something. The retainer afterwards is really annoying though, I thought.

Almita
04-20-2006, 11:15 PM
I have had them for 5 years but they don't hurt and I just had an overbite but I just had the top and then later the bottom and then rubberbands. They just make your teeth sore. Just can't eat hard stuff just soft and easy to just suck on and swallow. I got them off Feb 7 and it feels great to get them off and now that your teeth will be fine but only if you wear the retainers though, if you don't then back to braces.

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-21-2006, 04:37 AM
My daughter always said it hurt everytime she went for an adjustment. But that was always temporarily
good luck!

Pawsitive Thinking
04-21-2006, 04:39 AM
My daughter always said it hurt everytime she went for an adjustment. But that was always temporarily
good luck!

Mine said the same but has a lovely smile now :D

Maresche
04-21-2006, 07:02 AM
I had them for 7 years and as others have said, once you get used to having them on (initially they will rub the insides of your lips) the hurt is only a dull ache and that only happens when they are adjusted. You may want to avoid really hard food when you first have them put in and for a day or so each time they are adjusted.

Just do exactly what your orthdontist tells you and you may get them off even faster.

Pembroke_Corgi
04-21-2006, 07:18 AM
Getting braces is not too bad, I wore them for about 1 1/2 years, and I'm very glad I did- I love my teeth now! I still even wear my retainer at night sometimes so they won't move back even though I've had them off for almost 10 years. It doesn't really hurt that much, but it's an excuse to eat ice cream and maybe get a little extra time out of school. ;) :p

Miss Z
04-21-2006, 07:44 AM
I've had my braces for nearly 18 months and I'm getting them off soon. Don't worry, you won't be a geek, they feel like they really stand out in your mouth at first but actually a lot of people barely notice them. So many people have them nowadays that having braces is not such a big deal;)

As for pain, well, it can depend. Some people are not so bad with them, others experience quite a lot of pain. I had it quite bad, when it was first put on, my teeth constantly ached for a week, I found it difficult to sleep because of the pain, I could eat nothing but soup for that week and even breathing too hard sent shots of pain through my mouth. But I don't want to frighten you, it's pretty unusual to experience that much pain according to my orthodontist. And after that week, everything was fine, it's just one of those things you get used to. I was nervous about having the brace tightened, but it was nothing like having them put on, in fact it only felt tight for a matter of minutes and then went back to normal. My friend had braces on for a year and hers barely ached at all, so I guess the amount of pain depends on the teeth and how badly they are arranged (mine were pretty bad).
At the end of the day though, braces are made to help you and the pain and having to wear and clean them for a year or two is worth having straight teeth for the rest of your life;)

dab_20
04-21-2006, 04:35 PM
I had braces in 5th and 6th grade. As Miss Z said, it depends on the person and how they handle pain. Mine was painful, but it usually lasts a few days after you get them on and sometimes when they get tightened. You usually have to get them tightened regularly and they sometimes get sore then, but you'll be used to it by then. Your not a geek just because you have glasses and now your getting braces. Trust me, you'll be glad you went through getting braces when you get them off and you have straight, white teeth!

btw, don't forget to wear your retainer afterwards, because if you don't you'll regret it!! I still wear mine at night and it's been almost 2 years.

chocolatecoffee
04-21-2006, 06:18 PM
I think I'm going crazy, I could have sworn that I responded to this thread.

I got my braces on about six weeks ago and I was terrified since so many people told me that they hurt like crazy. They were uncomfortable at first and I couldn't close my mouth all of the way due to the placement of the bottom brackets, but within a week my mouth had shifted so I could close my mouth without any problems and they felt fine. I was really surprised that they didn't hurt much at ALL and they're not nearly as bad as everyone says. They do scratch the inside of your mouth a little bit, but it's nothing a little wax can't fix. So how are they? :)

Sirrahsim
04-21-2006, 06:40 PM
Ibuprofen is your friend when it's time for adjustments!!! I still wear my retainers at night and have for the past 4 years or so. You'll have a beautiful smile when they come off :) As for the 12 months thing, try not to be too dissapointed if you must wear them longer. Many people need to wear them longer than the ortho originally estimates, but it is worth it in the end!!!

gemini9961
04-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Don't worry it's not that bad. You'll be sore for a little bit and after adjustments but like Missy said, Ibuprofen will be your best friend. I had mine on for 6 years :eek: , but would not change it for the world. Having great teeth is awesome. I have my retainer but I need to wear it more often. :o

BC_MoM
04-21-2006, 08:31 PM
I think I'm going crazy, I could have sworn that I responded to this thread.

I got my braces on about six weeks ago and I was terrified since so many people told me that they hurt like crazy. They were uncomfortable at first and I couldn't close my mouth all of the way due to the placement of the bottom brackets, but within a week my mouth had shifted so I could close my mouth without any problems and they felt fine. I was really surprised that they didn't hurt much at ALL and they're not nearly as bad as everyone says. They do scratch the inside of your mouth a little bit, but it's nothing a little wax can't fix. So how are they? :)

The procedure itself did hurt at ALL.. but 5 hours later, and my mouth is all sore and I can't chew or put my teeth together..

I had a bowl of KD for lunch, and soup for supper.. this sucks! I have a crunchies-craving. :(

I had some ibuprofen, but it didn't work unless I slept (which I eventually did).. but as soon as I woke up, they hurt again so I walked to 7 Eleven and go a slurpee..

The top back end of the wire keeps hooking on my cheek. I need to get my Dad to bend it towards my tooth or snip it off.. I can't get the wax to stay on, no matter how dry I try and get the area that I need it on!

dab_20
04-22-2006, 08:20 AM
The procedure itself did hurt at ALL.. but 5 hours later, and my mouth is all sore and I can't chew or put my teeth together..

I had a bowl of KD for lunch, and soup for supper.. this sucks! I have a crunchies-craving. :(

I had some ibuprofen, but it didn't work unless I slept (which I eventually did).. but as soon as I woke up, they hurt again so I walked to 7 Eleven and go a slurpee..

The top back end of the wire keeps hooking on my cheek. I need to get my Dad to bend it towards my tooth or snip it off.. I can't get the wax to stay on, no matter how dry I try and get the area that I need it on!

I know what you mean. Putting the wax on takes a bit of practice, but sometimes if it won't stay on, you might need to go back to the dentist and get that wire snipped off. Hope your mouth feels better soon!

KYS
04-22-2006, 08:47 AM
When I first got my braces I moaned
and groaned about it. (now a days wearing braces are cool)
Getting braces was one of the most rewarding things
I did for my physical looks. Teeth are one of the first things I look at when I meet someone.
When the Ortho. first tightens them it is a bit uncomfortable,
for the first day or so, but by no means unbearable.
(the wax helps too)
You also can not eat certain foods, such as chewy or hard candy and
soda pop if I recall.
I was suppose to wear mine for 1 year, but it ended up taking three.
(My parents went through a Divorce and my dad would not
pay his 1/2.) So the braces did not come off till the last dime was paid. :(

For me Braces are well worth the investment!!!

buttercup132
04-22-2006, 03:05 PM
:( I wish I had braces!!! I know it sounds dumb but I just want them. Not just for my teeth but just cause. But it would help the stupid gap in between my teeth. I'm supposed to have them but we cant afford them...

Karen
04-22-2006, 03:08 PM
:( I wish I had braces!!! I know it sounds dumb but I just want them. Not just for my teeth but just cause. But it would help the stupid gap in between my teeth. I'm supposed to have them but we cant afford them...

Your parents should check around - some orthodontists will work out a payment plan for people who cannot afford it otherwise. It's worth it to get it done sooner rather than later, in my humble opinion, but if necessary, you can wait and get it done in your twenties - my friend Bonnie did, and is happy with the results.

Miss Z
04-22-2006, 03:11 PM

Maybe you wouldn't want them when they're first on....lol;)

Afford them? You should come over to England, for 16 year olds and under they are free on the NHS:) which is good because dentristry work is terribly expensive:rolleyes:

BC_MoM, you sound much like me when mine were first fitted. I know just how you feel. But the pain does eventually cease and you soon get so used to them that you forget you even have them:)

buttercup132
04-22-2006, 03:12 PM
Maybe you wouldn't want them when they're first on....lol;)

Afford them? You should come over to England, for 16 year olds and under they are free on the NHS:) which is good because dentristry work is terribly expensive:rolleyes:

BC_MoM, you sound much like me when mine were first fitted. I know just how you feel. But the pain does eventually cease and you soon get so used to them that you forget you even have them:)WHAT!!!! I'll be right over!!!

Roxyluvsme13
04-22-2006, 04:35 PM
Same here..But since we're getting alot of stuff payed off now, they're hopefully in my near future.
Jess, I'm sorry you're in pain, but at least it's ONLY a year, and it will go by REALLY fast! :)

dogzr#1
04-22-2006, 08:22 PM
I have braces on right now. Whenever I go to get them tightened, I usually can't eat for 1 meal afterwards, because of the pain, but if you just take small portions off of the food and chew with your molars, not your front teeth, it shouln't hurt as much. I have to wear mine for about 1/2 year more. They really aren't that bad and I think the pain gets less and less each time you get them tightened. Use a lot of wax. It might taste gross and feel weird but it prevents lots of nasty blisters. I didn't use any and I got many blisters and had to rinse with warm salt-water and that HURT like heck. Well good luck and hope the pain isn't that bad.