PDA

View Full Version : Did you hear about the horrible policeman act?

zoomer
04-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Did you hear about that horrible policeman act? The 5 year old boy's mom fainted in her room so he did what his mom had told him to, call 911. He called and told the policeman about it. The policeman told him to stop playing with the phone and threatened to send a policeman to yell at him :eek: :mad: His mom ended up dying and all he got was a threaten from the policemean :eek: :mad: It really mad me mad, one of the worst things I've ever heard. There was a video of it and what the policeman said to the boy, but it was on the AOL HOME thing and it is gone now. Just wanted to share and really needed to vent...

BC_MoM
04-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Heard about that, too.. what a load of crock. What's the point in calling 911 anymore?

My brother works at Canadian Footwear here and one day some drunk guy came in with a snow white rabbit threatening to throw it on the ground and squish it's brains out if no one bought it from him for $20. A co-worker called 911 and they said "We can't come, no human life is in danger". WHAT THE HECK IS UP WITH THAT?!

binka_nugget
04-20-2006, 10:51 PM
That's horrible! :(

Heard about that, too.. what a load of crock. What's the point in calling 911 anymore?

My brother works at Canadian Footwear here and one day some drunk guy came in with a snow white rabbit threatening to throw it on the ground and squish it's brains out if no one bought it from him for $20. A co-worker called 911 and they said "We can't come, no human life is in danger". WHAT THE HECK IS UP WITH THAT?!

What happened!? Did someone pay the $20??

Karen
04-20-2006, 10:55 PM
You should have called animal control, not 911, about the bunny. I hope he got arrested for animal cruelty, and that his dreams are haunted by bunnies with sharp teeth.

But anyway, the boy the thread is initailly about should be commended, and his family is suing the 911 operators. The child did exactly what he was supposed to do. The operator did not. Hopefully the suit, while it cannot replace the boy's mother and her role in his life, will change the attitude, procedures and training of 911 employees.

luvofallhorses
04-20-2006, 10:56 PM
:eek: :( :mad:

Jessika
04-21-2006, 12:08 AM
To reiterate, it was the 911 operator who told him to stop playing around, NOT a police officer. They played the recording over television not here but in other cities. In fact, the operator actually threatened to "send a police man to the house and you will be in big trouble!". Well TECHNICALLY even if they do get a prank call, they are supposed to send an officer over to the house to investigate just in case!

Here is an article:

DETROIT-- A 5-year-old boy called 911 to report that his mother had collapsed in their apartment, but an operator told him he shouldn't be playing on the phone, and she died before help arrived.

The family of Sherrill Turner, 46, of Detroit, doesn't know whether a swifter response could have saved her life, but they want to know why the operator apparently treated the call as if it was a prank.

"Clearly there is nothing in that that sounded like a prank," Delaina Patterson, the eldest of Turner's 10 children, said Friday.

Detroit police said the 911 response was under investigation.

After Turner collapsed Feb. 20 on the kitchen floor, her son, Robert, placed two calls to 911, Patterson said. In the first call, Patterson said Robert told an operator that his mother had passed out, but the operator asked to speak with an adult.

When he called back later, Patterson said, an operator said: "You shouldn't be playing on the phone."

In a tape of the call, parts of which were broadcast by Detroit-area television stations WJBK and WDIV, the operator said: "Now put her on the phone before I send the police out there to knock on the door and you gonna be in trouble."

In an audio of the tape played on TV, some of what the boy says is unintelligible.

Patterson, who lives in suburban Detroit, said her brother placed the first call about 6 p.m., and police didn't arrive until about three hours later. She said only Robert and his mother were home at the time.

Detroit police spokesman James Tate said it was at least an hour before authorities arrived, but he said he didn't have details. By that time, the boy's mother had died, he said.

"The operator may have believed he was playing on the phone," Tate said.

The 911 operator remains on the job amid the investigation, Tate said.

Police Chief Ella Bully-Cummings said it is important not to rush to judgment.

"The citizens of Detroit can be assured that our department is meticulously examining every aspect of what occurred," Bully-Cummings said Friday in a news release, "and if disciplinary action is recommended following the completion of the investigation, then that is the course that will be taken."

She declined further comment "due to imminent or pending litigation."

Kimberly Harris, president of American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Local 1023, said the 911 operator deserves the benefit of the doubt as the response is investigated.

"Part of the tapes and the boy's responses were inaudible," said Harris, whose union represents 911 operators.

Robert, who turned 6 last month, is living with relatives in the Detroit area, Patterson said. She said he wasn't available for an interview Friday, but he had recounted the call to local broadcasters.

"I tried to tell them she wouldn't talk," Robert told WDIV.

Source: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060408/METRO/604080399

jesse_3
04-21-2006, 02:08 AM
That is absolutely horrible! I can't imagine what that poor boy feels like:( What has this world come to?

Stephanie

Miss Z
04-21-2006, 03:34 AM
Oh my gosh, how terrible and sad:( . That poor boy! He would have been panicking about his mother at that time, I can barely imagine what kind of state he would have been in when that operator was clearly taking him for a pranker, and was also rather rude aswell.

the operator said: "Now put her on the phone before I send the police out there to knock on the door and you gonna be in trouble."

What an idiot. Threatening that poor kid when he was desperate to help his mother. And another thing, has this operator ever spoken on the phone to someone unconcious before? I think not.:mad:

Jods
04-21-2006, 07:14 AM
This is terrible...
I used to work at walmart and once the police called and started yelling at me that there were kids outside calling 911 then hanging up, really how the hell was I supposed to know they were doing this on a payphone and to call me inside the store and tell me to get out there NOW and tell them to stop really made me mad, he could have done it alot nicer but the thing is why would he phone and yell at me like it my fault some kid is dialing 911... I think they need to work out some glitches in their system for that childs sake!

moosmom
04-21-2006, 07:35 AM
EVERY 911 call should be taken seriously. Shame on the dispatcher.

When I was an Auxiliary State Trooper, I was in a bank line (in uniform as I was on my way to work). This little boy was hanging on the velvet ropes and was just plane bore waiting in line with his mother. She was getting annoyed at him and tried to get him to stand still (the kid wasn't more than 4 years old). She looked and pointed at me and said, "If you don't stop your figeting, I'm going to tell that police lady to take you to jail!!" I was SOOOOO pissed. Parents shouldn't teach their children to fear the police, or threaten them with something like going to jail. I very politely told her what she did was wrong, and I didn't appreciate her making me look like a bad guy to her kid. I then went over to the little boy and had a little talk with him. He asked me if my gun was real and if I was going to take him to jail. I told him no, that he shouldn't be afraid of me that I put bad guys in jail, not little kids. I then gave him a piece of gum.

Some parents are SOO stupid. That really made me angry.

I'm glad the family of the little 911 boy is suing. Maybe it'll prove a point, as moot as the issue is right now.

elizabethann
04-21-2006, 07:42 AM
EVERY 911 call should be taken seriously. Shame on the dispatcher.

When I was an Auxiliary State Trooper, I was in a bank line (in uniform as I was on my way to work). This little boy was hanging on the velvet ropes and was just plane bore waiting in line with his mother. She was getting annoyed at him and tried to get him to stand still (the kid wasn't more than 4 years old). She looked and pointed at me and said, "If you don't stop your figeting, I'm going to tell that police lady to take you to jail!!" I was SOOOOO pissed. Parents shouldn't teach their children to fear the police, or threaten them with something like going to jail. I very politely told her what she did was wrong, and I didn't appreciate her making me look like a bad guy to her kid. I then went over to the little boy and had a little talk with him. He asked me if my gun was real and if I was going to take him to jail. I told him no, that he shouldn't be afraid of me that I put bad guys in jail, not little kids. I then gave him a piece of gum.

Some parents are SOO stupid. That really made me angry.

I'm glad the family of the little 911 boy is suing. Maybe it'll prove a point, as moot as the issue is right now.

Wow. Now that was stupid, wasn't it? That kids going to grow up being afraid of the police.

I'm glad the family is suing too. My heart goes out to that little boy and his family. That 911 operater should be ashamed of herself.

Samantha Puppy
04-21-2006, 08:07 AM
It wasn't a policeman who ignored him, it was a 911 operator. Still pathetic and horrible, but not a police officer's doing.

BC_MoM
04-21-2006, 08:11 AM
They couldn't call animal control, it was 7:00 at night, and I don't think many stores would have that number at hand. The police still should have come. It was basically a hold up.

No one payed the $20, my brother and two co-workers eventually jumped him and held him.. They told him "Either you give us the bunny and we let you go, or you wait until the cops come" (he didn't know they weren't coming) and the kid goes "If you half let me go, I'll half give you the rabbit!" :rolleyes:

Eventually he let go of the rabbit and ran out of the store. The bunny stayed in the store over night and the humane society came and retrieved him the next day and he went up for adoption.

caseysmom
04-21-2006, 09:24 AM
Most animal controls have an emergency off hour number.

Vela
04-21-2006, 10:02 AM
I heard that about the 911 operator. I had a similar thing happen when I was younger. My baby brother, about a year old, was choking to death on a piece of tinfoil (he had grabbed it from the box of fish medicine while my mom was putting it in the fish tank, and it had those sharp edges so it was stuck really well and I called 911 and was hung up on twice. If my mom hadn't been a nurse at the time and able to get it out herself by reaching down his throat with a pair of kelly clamps he would have been dead. My dad called back and reamed them out something fierce but at least my brother didn't die. I just think it's pathetic that something that is there to save lives it staffed by some of the worst "customer service" you can find and those crappy 911 operators, who fall asleep and threaten children give all the good 911 operators a bad name. I feel horrible for that poor boy being threatned while his mother died. I read they probably would have been able to save her if help had come. Poor little kid=(

As for the bunny story, police can't run out to every animal case, it's just not possible. If they were out saving animals they wouldn't be there to help other people in trouble. That's why they have animal control and animal cops, etc. I understand it was after hours and that was just "one case". But if they went out to all those "one cases" then nobody would be there to help people too. There is usually an after hours emergency number you can call for those things with animal control, and it's usually on the voicemail of the main number. I'm glad the bunny was saved though.

king2005
04-21-2006, 10:31 AM
That poor boy will be scared for life. Not only did his mommy die, but he tried to save her & was threatened & didn't know what to do. poor poor poor child :(

As for the bunny case, I have mixed feelings.. it being a 911 call no. a police matter YES! I've called 911 before & asked to be transfered to the local police as it wasn't a life & death situation, but an officer was needed.

13yrs ago, I called the local police (there was no 911 in my town). I told them there was a raccoon in the neighbours yard & it didn't look right. They rushed 2 officers over. A lady officer was let into our yard & the male officer asked to go into the yard 2 houses down. They saw the raccoon & also felt something was wrong with it. the lady Officer watched the coon, while the male went to the 3 houses to let us all know they were going to shoot it & to keep all kids & pets indoors, until they gave the all clear. 16 shots later the coon finally died.

I'll explain why it took so many rounds. These Police Pistols (really the cartridge) are not designed to kill animals. The bullets are traveling so fast that they go right through the small animal & do not cause enough damage to kill it (when an officer shoots a person the cartridges are also not suppose to cause a gory mess, if the suspect dies ohwell, but the chances of survival is decently high). Also you cannot shoot the animal in the head if it is suspected of having rabies (they need the brain to test for it). They also wanted to make sure it was 100% dead before they went near it. Any twitching could mean its still alive (not likely but why risk it). My folks were very helpful. they supplied the officers with large trash bags & a box to make carring the body easier & less messy. The police were bad people (hells angels) but atleast they took good care of us when we needed them! Regular cops normally wouldn't deal with this stuff.

zoomer
04-21-2006, 10:33 AM

That is just crap! :mad:
And what happened?

ramanth
04-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Heard about that news story. So sad. However, after the stories Andy's co-workers have told me, I'm sadly not surprised. :(

One co-worker had her car stolen. She then spotted it in a driveway a few streets away. She called the police and they asked her if she had an extra key. She said yes and they told her to go steal it back! :eek:

zoomer
04-21-2006, 10:58 AM
One co-worker had her car stolen. She then spotted it in a driveway a few streets away. She called the police and they asked her if she had an extra key. She said yes and they told her to go steal it back! :eek:

:eek: WHAT!!!!!????? :eek:

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-21-2006, 11:25 AM
That poor boy will be scared for life. Not only did his mommy die, but he tried to save her & was threatened & didn't know what to do. poor poor poor child :(

Exactly!!! That operator is definitely guilty for serious neglect!! I know some kids play games with the phone; but a help-call from a 6 year old should ALWAYS be taken seriously; They should at least have checked this!!!

Poor boy :(

king2005
04-21-2006, 11:30 AM
Heard about that news story. So sad. However, after the stories Andy's co-workers have told me, I'm sadly not surprised. :(

OMG!

that reminded me of what happed last year (I think I posted it). A BABY & little girl were outside alone. The little girl was trying to get into the house but couldn't.. both kids were crying for 30 mins. We kept an eye on them & then called the police as enough was ENOUGH!

The police went over to the house (the kids were finally in the house, but the mother left the BABY outside for an extra 15 mins alone!!!).

The damn police officers walked RIGHT to our house!! (thats all we needed was for the mother to know who called the police on her) They YELLED at us!! & said the kids were out ther for no longer then 5 mins & that we should have gone over & delt with it!!!!
We argued back telling them it takes 30 mins or more to get the trailer out of the garage, fill the tires, fill the trailer, test the trailer, cover the trailer, hook it up to the car properly, & park it outside the house. The kids were outside crying LONG before we went outside to deal with the trailer (I have no idea just how long the kids really were out there, before we spotted them).

The next day the grandfather came over to our house (the mothers father, they live nextdoor to eachother). I thought it was going to be a war, but he was just VERY concerned & wanted to hear our story before he judged anyone (he sounded like a caring man). We told him what we saw & how long the kids were alone for. He was quite angry (not at us), he said he hasn't seen this behaviour before in his daughtor, but will NOW keep an eye on things & thanked us for being caring neighbours!

Oh ya, after the 2 police officers left I called their supervisor REALLY pissed off (I tried not to yell at him). I asked that the 2 officers need to be spoken to RIGHT NOW & to NEVER treat anyone with such dissrespect ever again! Nor to walk up to the house that made the call & yell at them!! I said that experiece is almost enough to NOT call the police for anything & when who is to blame if the kids were hit by a car?? (besides the parents of course).

Like I said before, its pretty darn bad the the hells angels Police Officers are FAR better officers then the regular police officers.. Its also kind of scary too.

dab_20
04-21-2006, 04:20 PM
I heard about that on the news. What has this world come to? :mad: :(

*LabLoverKEB*
04-21-2006, 05:47 PM
That just makes me sick... that's just HORRIBLE. Imagine what the little boy thinks of himself now... poor baby. :( :mad: :mad:

dukedogsmom
04-21-2006, 06:36 PM
To reiterate, it was the 911 operator who told him to stop playing around, NOT a police officer. They played the recording over television not here but in other cities. In fact, the operator actually threatened to "send a police man to the house and you will be in big trouble!". Well TECHNICALLY even if they do get a prank call, they are supposed to send an officer over to the house to investigate just in case!

Thanks for pointing that out! And we get prank calls all the time but never is a call ignored. I was so shocked when I heard about this. That poor boy.