PDA

View Full Version : Farm work - stupid question

slleipnir
04-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Hey, I have a dumb question....

For a long time, (say, most of my life) I've wanted to live on a farm. I have no idea why, because I understand how it is very hard work. I was thinking how it would be neat to stay on a farm for a summer and work. I would work for a place to stay and food lets say? I think it would be good for me...however, I have no idea how to do this...I would be willing to travel some place...but even still, I have no clue who to ask or what to say. I would want to work with animals...even mucking stalls or whatever, not like...field work all the time??

Anyone ever do this? Any ideas?? Better yet, anyone here have a farm you need help with ;) hehe just kidding. I think it would be such a great experience, and I could learn a lot

Glacier
04-20-2006, 06:32 PM
You might want to check out this group:
http://www.wwoof.org/

My neighbor has a couple "wwoofers" a year help out at his place. They have a few dozen horses. The wwoofer isn't paid, but gets room and board. They have to work a certain number of hours a week and the rest of the time they are free to do whatever they want. Currently, my neighbor has a couple guys from France helping him. He's had people from around the world.

slleipnir
04-20-2006, 06:43 PM

My neighbor has a couple "wwoofers" a year help out at his place. They have a few dozen horses. The wwoofer isn't paid, but gets room and board. They have to work a certain number of hours a week and the rest of the time they are free to do whatever they want. Currently, my neighbor has a couple guys from France helping him. He's had people from around the world.

Thanks. I looked at a few places, and they seem to be all about plants and stuff? I'm not really interesting in planting...I kinda wanted to do stuff with animals...horses especially. I don't mind doing some planting but the main idea was that I want to learn about animals. I wonder if that's possible anywhere.... I'll keep looking around the site though, thanks a lot for the info!

Russian Blue
04-20-2006, 06:46 PM
I actually saw a program about youth helping out on farms a couple of months ago. Of course, I don't remember the actual program which matched youth with the farmers.

Here's one link that posts openings for various internships on farms -GoodWork Canada (http://www.planetfriendly.net/gwd.php?id=1532) It sounds really interesting! There's a mix of animal and field work.

I would contact your local provincial farmers association and I'm sure they would be able to give you the programs for your area.

Have fun! ;)

Uabassoon
04-20-2006, 06:46 PM
I know that my dad did that when he was a kid but it was through the 4-H program. He got to spend the summer on a farm in Switzerland.

critter crazy
04-20-2006, 06:49 PM
All I can say is that living on a farm, which i do, is alot of work!! I enjoy my horses and wouldnt change a thing but, it takes away alot of things from you. My family and i cannot just decide to go on vacation without months of planning and even then it is tough. You have to find someone to take care of your animals for you(a responsible person who nows what they are doing)!! not ot mention the long days!! early in the morning and late at night. Especially if you have a full time job on top of it! Lots of mending fences barns and such....I am by no means trying to discourage you, i just want you to know what it all intails! If you can find a farm to work on, by all means go for it!!! it will be a great experiance!!! :D

slleipnir
04-20-2006, 06:57 PM
All I can say is that living on a farm, which i do, is alot of work!! I enjoy my horses and wouldnt change a thing but, it takes away alot of things from you. My family and i cannot just decide to go on vacation without months of planning and even then it is tough. You have to find someone to take care of your animals for you(a responsible person who nows what they are doing)!! not ot mention the long days!! early in the morning and late at night. Especially if you have a full time job on top of it! Lots of mending fences barns and such....I am by no means trying to discourage you, i just want you to know what it all intails! If you can find a farm to work on, by all means go for it!!! it will be a great experiance!!! :D

Yes, I know that....but for some reason it appeals to me. I'm sure it would be different it I was out doing it...but I think it would be good for me.

Also, I kind of want to go somewhere else and do it. It would be neat to see a new place on top of doing farm work...

slleipnir
04-20-2006, 07:00 PM
I actually saw a program about youth helping out on farms a couple of months ago. Of course, I don't remember the actual program which matched youth with the farmers.

Here's one link that posts openings for various internships on farms -GoodWork Canada (http://www.planetfriendly.net/gwd.php?id=1532) It sounds really interesting! There's a mix of animal and field work.

I would contact your local provincial farmers association and I'm sure they would be able to give you the programs for your area.

Have fun! ;)

Sounds interesting indeed. I kinda wanted something for this year (deadline was feb) but I guess it's really too late in the year to do something for THIS year. I'll have to bookmark it for next year. Thanks a bunch :)

critter crazy
04-20-2006, 07:12 PM
Yes, I know that....but for some reason it appeals to me. I'm sure it would be different it I was out doing it...but I think it would be good for me.

Also, I kind of want to go somewhere else and do it. It would be neat to see a new place on top of doing farm work...

well good for you!! It is alot of fun!! I knwo i enjoy it, and would never think of not doing it! I hope you can find something!! dont give up!! keep looking!!keep us all posted how you make out!! :D

slleipnir
04-20-2006, 08:22 PM
It's proving to be hard finding something...haha.

slleipnir
04-20-2006, 08:47 PM

Oh, I think I got it figured out now :) I found a lot of interesting places. Thanks a bunch! I'm thinking about registering...

smokey the elder
04-21-2006, 10:37 AM
Do they have anything equivalent to Future Farmers of America or The Grange in Canada? These may be other sources.

slleipnir
04-21-2006, 10:41 AM
I contacted a farm about an hour or so from here. She said she'll call me at the first of the week. I may go visit and see if it's what I want to do...

Suki Wingy
04-21-2006, 02:55 PM
good luck! That is something id's like to do too!

Uabassoon
04-21-2006, 03:06 PM
Good luck! I'm sure you'll have to much fun. I know my dad had a great experience when he got to spend the summer working on a farm.