PDA

View Full Version : please help, hubby is threatening to rehome Charlie

ashleycat
04-20-2006, 11:39 AM
For the first few weeks of having Charlie. He was a good dog.

He's been here lil longer than a month.

Now he is knocking plates off counters, getting his treats himself, marking his territory INSIDE even tho he has been neutered more than a month ago. Why inside tho? I thought they didnt' do that. Unless, he is smelling the neighbors dog. It was raining and the smel of them must have came in. They don't pick their poop up. their yard is full of it.

We don't have a crate for him, but am planning on getting one.

Any good videos out there? I have one, but it doesn't cover what's happening here.

also, I don't know wether he has to potty, or just wants to go outside to mess around. I can't just let him free out there yet untill his poo isn't soft. It's hard to pick it up till the sun hardens it. He won't stay outside unless someone is out there with him.

BC_MoM
04-20-2006, 11:47 AM
For the knocking plates off of the counters:
Try putting tape around the edges of the counters, sticky side up.
Also, you have to remember, if he's knocking them off, he's in reach of them. Try to avoid the situation by putting them out of his reach.

What do you mean gettings his treats himself?

I don't think he'd be marking inside just because a smell of the neighbours dogs. (I could be wrong)

I suggest taking him outside more often and not coming in until he pees. How often is he peeing? Is it always in the same spot, or all over?

Why is it too hard to pick up the poo when it's soft? Use a spade and scoop from the edges rather than the front point. Or use a bag. It's not that difficult! :p Unless his poo is watery, (sorry, gross, I know) I don't see the trouble! lol

Make the time in your day to go outside with him when he needs out. Imagine how hard it would be if he had to let you out everytime you needed to go but he wouldn't let you out because he didn't have time.

You have to adjust to your dogs needs. :)

K9soul
04-20-2006, 11:49 AM
It sounds like a few things. 1. He has excess energy and no direction for it, and 2. He feels he is the pack leader in your home. He needs lots of exercise and a direction, i.e. obedience training, and he needs to be put on NILIF program I think (nothing in life is free, meaning he has to earn all good things, from food to attention). You can do a search in google about NILIF and it will talk more about it. He just needs structure, guidelines, and to realize you and your husband are his leaders. He needs to not have a lot of excess/bored energy to deal with too, which causes frustration and destructiveness and other negative behaviors.

ashleycat
04-20-2006, 11:53 AM
I had his treats on the counter. I have milk bones and a bag of those steak ones. I've been trying to train him. He's 4.

I'm also treating him for coccidia and whipworm. so that's why his stools are still soft.

I take him out all the time. I'm home all day. He scratches the door all the time it seems like. It seems like he's going out there every second. But he only fiddles around. He pees atleast 3 times a day. If not more cus of marking out on walks. He uses the whole yard. I've been using the leash on him for the back yard sometimes. I should do it more often. I just started tho. For the first few weeks I have been just letting him out, and he'd do his business. Now, it's fiddeling.

I'm trying to adjust to his needs. It's hard when I don't know what he wants.

He's giving me the runaround

ashleycat
04-20-2006, 11:55 AM
I play with him all the time. I run around the house have him chase me, I play fetch with his bone. I have the bruises to prove it. lol

I keep his food up, and make him sit before he gets it, make him sit before I open the door.

I'm going to google the nilf, I read a little upon it. But need more.

BC_MoM
04-20-2006, 12:03 PM
How about mental stimulation? Having mini training sessions on your own. Does he know his basic commands? If so, you can teach him different tricks.. or perhaps enroll in some obedience, flyball, or agility classes? :)

ashleycat
so part of the NILF is that he has to be on a leash while inside too, if not in crate. Well, that might have been the problem here. He has access to everywhere. lol.

K9soul
It sounds to me like you are catering to his needs so much that he feels he is the pack leader. You definitely should not have bruises on you from his playing, he is playing too roughly with you then. I don't know about the chase game, especially for a dog who is feeling like he is the pack leader. It might just encourage and reinforce dominant behavior. Fetching games are good as long as he gives up the toy easily he is fetching, and I'd give him obedience commands in between and have him earn the throw. Of course no exercise is as good as a nice long daily walk, just playing in the house or yard will never expend enough.

After reading many books and watching a lot of Cesar Milan's show on Ntl Geographic, I really am convinced the majority of dog behavioral problems have to do with excess energy and confusing messages sent to them by our own behavior, putting them in a position of leadership without us really realizing we are doing so. This can cause anything from anxiety and fearfulness to aggression and acting out to just destructive, pushy behaviors. A dog with calm, assertive leadership, not aggressive leadership with punishment, but just calm and consistent, is a much calmer, happier, and well behaved dog.

K9soul
04-20-2006, 12:08 PM
This is a good post someone posted not long ago. Some may have slightly different version of NILIF but the basic idea is the dog learns all good things must be earned and that you are the one they come from and only when he behaves.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=102679

I personally don't use the head halter collar but I have used Cesar Milan's method of putting the collar up just behind the ears and under the chin, and keeping the dog by my side on walks, not in front. It was surprisingly easy to nix any pulling problems (mainly with Tommy) with this method. I also stopped watching the dogs while I was walking them all the time, and look straight ahead like I am leader and am confident about things. In a pack, the dog watches its leader, not the other way around :).

edit: I just realized you asked about a video. I haven't seen it but I have watched a lot of Cesar Milan's shows and he has a basic dog behavior and how to interact with them video. http://cesarmillan.securesites.net/product.php?cPath=24&products_id=34

elizabethann
04-20-2006, 12:11 PM
What's a NILF? I don't understand the leash in the house thing. Maybe it's just me.

I would take obedience classes and teach him who the alpha being is - you. Also someone mentioned Cesar Milan (the dog whisperer on the national geographic channel), he has a new book out. You should see if the local library has it.

Good luck.

ashleycat
04-20-2006, 12:13 PM
How about mental stimulation? Having mini training sessions on your own. Does he know his basic commands? If so, you can teach him different tricks.. or perhaps enroll in some obedience, flyball, or agility classes? :)
He knows sit, down and roll (where I get him to lay on his side)

But he ignores me a lot of the time. Unless I have something he wants. Sometimes I reward him with getting pet. No treat. So I've been doing that not every time has a food reward.

Depends on what I have. Sometimes he acts like he's the best trained dog in the world and sits and downs sooo fast. Then theres times where he ignores me.

Karen
04-20-2006, 12:15 PM
NILF= Nothing In Life is Free

This makes the dog realize that every treat, every bit of praise must be earned. It establishes and reinforces you as the Alpha of the pack. It is a very good method for training smart dogs who think they're in charge. It is work, yes, but you, Charlie and your husband will all be happier with the results.

K9soul
04-20-2006, 12:16 PM
What's a NILF? I don't understand the leash in the house thing. Maybe it's just me.

It's Nothing In Life Is Free (NILIF). Like I said there are different versions of it out there. I have not personally done the leash method but if I had a real problem behavior dog on my hands I probably would. It's just used for the first couple weeks, the dog learns in that way he goes where you (the leader) goes, and freedom off leash comes only from behaving.

ashleycat
04-20-2006, 12:17 PM
I also take him 20 min walks around neighborhood too. I forgot to mention that. I get my excercise too. lol.

I have to go and buy a crate too.

ashleycat
04-20-2006, 12:19 PM
how do i know where to find good obedience classes?

Vela
04-20-2006, 12:19 PM
A crate isn't going to fix the problem of him not seeing you as pack leader. You should really listen to waht K9Soul is saying and apply it. It will help you, Charlie, and your husband.

ashleycat
04-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Nilf said to use a crate.

I would only use it when we're gone and at night.

Queen of Poop
04-20-2006, 12:34 PM
Sounds like you need to teach your dog who the boss of the house is. You need to go for obedience training. Find a class close to you and get signed up as soon as possible. Your local pet store should probably have a bulletin board with all sorts of training options.

What I did with my unrully dog was attach the leash to her collar and to my waist when I was at home. That way she had to be with me all the time and I could keep an eye on what she was doing. It worked well for us and she quit chewing the walls, furniture, etc.

Good luck, don't give up on him just yet, train him, he needs structure, boundries, etc, just like a child.

Aspen and Misty
04-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Charlie is still a new dog to the house hold. I know more then a month may seem like a long time, but think about the lifestyle change he is getting used to. It took Nova a little over 6 months to settle in and become her true self. It also took her that long to learn all the rules.

While a crate is a good idea, I do think Charlie see's himself as the leader of your house hold. He thinks he makes the rules, not you. That’s why he takes what he wants and does what he wants. It is important for you to gain back your Alpha role. My dog Nova is a very dominate dog so I go through the same things with her. She thinks that she rules everything and it really takes a strong hand to stay on top of her. Like in the system mentioned, she gets nothing for free, ever.

Why not start him on a routine? For instance - 10 minute potty brake in the morning (time it and take him in after 10 minutes). Another 10 minute brake around lunch time (time it and take him in after 10 minutes) then a 20 minute walk at night. This will get him to go potty faster while outside cause he will learn that he has to go potty right away as he only has short breaks. Also, only let him out three times day which will hopefully get him to hold it more and not ask to go out so much.

Ashley

ashleycat
04-20-2006, 12:44 PM
What if he doesn't go in that 10 min, and ends up going on the floor?

Or just when I see him looking for a spot, to rush him to the door?

BOBS DAD
04-20-2006, 12:58 PM
CALM DOWN ASHLEY... Deep Breaths... Deep Breaths...

I have not personally done the leash method but if I had a real problem behavior dog on my hands I probably would

Bob was a pretty good boy at home - most of the time. BUT he was a terror at work. I bring my dogs to the office as often as I can. Ginger is used to the routine and is a very good girl at work. BUT BOB - it was like he forgot everything he had learned at home. Sneaking away and doing his business, not listening, fighting with Ginger... on and on. Worst off was the fact that he loved to sneak across the hall and poop in the neighbor's cublcle. HOW MANY TIMES I HAD TO CLEAN UP and not to mentin the many times I caught him just starting to sneak away. Something about that spot - he liked to do his business there.

I did resort to the leash inside. I tethered him to ME, when I was moving about and when I needed to sit down and really concentrate, I tehered him to counter where I was. WHAT a WORLD of difference!!!

NOW when he really had to go, he let me know and outside we went. Sometimes he goofed off and I started not listening to him as early. I made him wait and when he was really, really fidgety, we went and HE WENT. NO MORE CUBICLE NEXT DOOR. He stopped eating my many papers strewn about the office. He lsitened better, etc. and eventually off the leash and NOW HE IS AT WORK LIKE HE IS AT HOME. I would definitely recommend the leash indoors!!!

Giselle
04-20-2006, 03:20 PM
He knows sit, down and roll (where I get him to lay on his side)

But he ignores me a lot of the time. Unless I have something he wants. Sometimes I reward him with getting pet. No treat. So I've been doing that not every time has a food reward.

Depends on what I have. Sometimes he acts like he's the best trained dog in the world and sits and downs sooo fast. Then theres times where he ignores me.
If he ignores you, you're either boring the the living daylights out of him or he simple isn't trained well enough. Honestly, enroll yourself in an obedience class (I don't recommend PetSmart). You need a professional trainer to work with you because it doesn't sound like you and Charlie are communicating efficiently. Here's a link of where to find trainers in your area from the APDT (Associate of Pet Dog Trainers): http://www.apdt.com/trainers-and-owners/trainer-search/choosing-a-trainer.htm

Also, I *wouldn't* get Charlie started in any advanced classes since he doesn't even seem to grasp the Basic 5: sit, stay, down, come, heel. Charlie is an aussie, I assume? If so, aussies are AMAZINGLY intelligent dogs. They learn and they learn quick. They don't like repitition. You need to vary your commands and perform them randomly. Don't just stand in one place and ask him to "Sit" 5 times in a row. He'll get bored and try to invent his own form of entertainment (i.e. counter surfing and knocking dishes onto the floor). If Charlie ignores your commands, DON'T repeat it over and over again or the effectiveness of the command wears off and he gains leadership over you. This is why NILIF is *so* crucial and *so* important.

When you ask Charlie to do something, he thinks, "What's in it for me?"

A pat on the head? I'm sure you love Charlie very much so I'm sure you give him loads of kisses and pats and hugs anyways. So why should Charlie sit for a pat on the head? If he's going to perform for you, he needs a strong motivation. The primary motivation should be because he wants to please you because you are ALPHA. You see, this whole training business all goes back to NILIF. You need to assert yourself as alpha and he as the omega. Once you strongly establish leadership over him, everything falls into place. Once you are leader, Charlie will want to please you. He doesn't know right from wrong, but you do. Once you are leader and once Charlie finds the motivation to perform willingly for you, he will act "obedient".

Giselle
04-20-2006, 03:24 PM

Or just when I see him looking for a spot, to rush him to the door?
Quite frankly, I don't think Charlie is potty trained. Go back to the basics. When you see him frantically sniffing around for a spot, rush him to the yard. When he goes to the bathroom, click if you want, and treat/praise profusely. NEVER allow him to go on the floor. I agree with Aspen and Misty. I know that Greyhounds, in particular, love a concrete schedule, but I would suppose almost all dogs do. Today, sit down and make a schedule. Try to stick with it until good behavior starts to surface.

Aspen and Misty
04-20-2006, 07:37 PM
I agree with Giselle, sounds to me like Charlie may not be potty trained. When Teddy started having accidents in the new house we just started all over. It took awhile, but he caught on.

As for him not going in the ten minutes, then start him on a schedule you think will work. Every dog is different. It takes mine about 5 minutes to go and come back in. For Charlie you may need to spend 20 minutes, three times a day till he goes in the allowed time. Then move it down to 15 minutes, then down to 10. If you find he is unable to take such a big jump in time, you can do it in smaller increments such as 20 mins, 18 mins, 15 mins, 13 mins etc.

Keep working with him and he will improve. I know with Nova it felt like for weeks were at a stand still and making no progress. Then all the sudden we took a huge step forward. It takes time, patience and love, but the rewards are well worth it.

Good luck,
Ashley

ashleycat
04-20-2006, 09:01 PM
so how do you know if he's potty trained? He's only had 3 accidents since he's been here. 2 by which was my fault.

Sevaede
04-20-2006, 09:24 PM
For the first few weeks of having Charlie. He was a good dog.

He's been here lil longer than a month.

Now he is knocking plates off counters, getting his treats himself, marking his territory INSIDE even tho he has been neutered more than a month ago. Why inside tho? I thought they didnt' do that. Unless, he is smelling the neighbors dog. It was raining and the smel of them must have came in. They don't pick their poop up. their yard is full of it.

We don't have a crate for him, but am planning on getting one.

Any good videos out there? I have one, but it doesn't cover what's happening here.

also, I don't know wether he has to potty, or just wants to go outside to mess around. I can't just let him free out there yet untill his poo isn't soft. It's hard to pick it up till the sun hardens it. He won't stay outside unless someone is out there with him.

I've talked to my mom about animals and marking their territory inside. She said that neutering usually does the trick but it might take them a little while because the hormones still have to die down. Our boy cat was neutered two-three months ago and STILL acts *stud*ly, if you catch my drift...

Aspen and Misty
04-20-2006, 10:40 PM
so how do you know if he's potty trained? He's only had 3 accidents since he's been here. 2 by which was my fault.

These are the two parts that made me assume he is not potty trained.

marking his territory INSIDE even tho he has been neutered more than a month ago. Why inside tho?

You know him better then we do. If you think he is potty trained, then he may be. We just suggested starting over as an option we thought would help. When Nova began to pee in the house because we got another female dog we re-potty trained her. She was already potty trained, but because we re-potty trained her it ended her bad behavior. (Yup, Nova is our "problem child")

In response to

Something else I thought of is you said you are home all day with him. Well you don't necessarily have to follow the schedule I set up, you need to make it fit your schedule. You can walk him as many times are you want. So maybe start off with 5 or 6, 10 minutes walks a day. Or you could start off with a 10 minute walk every 2 to 3 hours if you don't think he can hold it. Then slowly increase the time between walks and shorten the length of the walks (although I think a dog should have at least 10 minutes to potty, IMPO preferably 15)

Ashley

Lori Jordan
04-21-2006, 12:25 PM
I don't know what to tell you about him marking in your home,I never had that problem with Bandit he was fixed at 6 months ,As to jumping on the counters i had that problem with mine i have had steaks go missing lol you name it,Now im at the stage of them staying off the couch and have tried it all.I'd suggest obeience it does help everyone had given really good tips on this topic.

Giselle
04-21-2006, 02:11 PM
There is no one concrete signal where one day your dog wakes up and goes, "Oh! Don't worry mom, I'm potty trained". You have to know your dog and it's all a matter of speculation. If your dog marks inside and goes on the floor frequently as was suggested above, chances are he is not *fully* potty trained. He could be getting the idea, but either you just aren't rushing him to the yard soon enough or you're misinterpreting his warning signs or he just doesn't think of your house as his kennel (thus, avoiding accidents). I knew Lucky was potty trained when he sat at the backyard door and barked for me to release him. That was pretty obvious :p Giselle, however, has different signals. She can't sit patiently waiting for me to open the door. Instead, she walks to the front door and sniffs it (even though her potty area is in the *backyard*). It's subtle, but that's her way of letting me know.

The easiest option, IMO, is to go back to Square 1.

ashleycat
04-22-2006, 11:53 AM
I thought he was pt, he scrathes at the door to be let out. 2 of the accidents were my fault. Only 2 territorial accidents. He just got neutered march 15th.

Today I left him out there and shut the door. He went potty about 5 min later and then I opened the door. He came runnin in and jumping sooo happily. I praised him soooo happily and played fetch with a toy. Which is one of my daughters toys that he loves, so I guess it's his now. But he acted like he hit jackpot when I opened the door after he pooped lol.

The toy is a round soft ducky that laughs when shaken. He goes nuts after it.

sabies
04-22-2006, 02:07 PM
I think obedience training would be a good idea. I never went to a trainer with Sadie - financially it wasn't possible and she was naturally submissive so it didn't seem necessary. Fortunately the only problems I've had with Sadie are things that make cute stories but I do believe from what I've read over the years that dogs, submissive or dominant, are happier with a solid social structure. I think it would have relieved some of Sadie's anxieties if I had been a better Alpha but I always gave in to what I thought she wanted - little things that seemed harmless but probably signalled to her that hey, there's no one in charge in this house!

I think the most important thing to get out of obedience training is how to be Alpha - and that's not a lesson for the dog. I know at least for me Alpha behavior does not come naturally. Good luck!