PDA

View Full Version : Ripley needs good vibes and thoughts - UPDATE!

jazzcat
04-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Ripley is at the vet right now. I had to leave him so they can run blood test to find out what is wrong. I thought he had another UTI but the vet feels with the other symptoms it may be kidney failure so she is doing the blood work to confirm. If it isn't that then she will do x-rays to see if he has kidney or bladder stones. The other possibility, but she feels is unlikely, is thyroid.

Poor guy has gotton so thin and this week he seems so unhappy. He's been coming to me in bed every morning to tap me on the shoulder and cry. I'm never able to figure out what he wants but he is definitely trying to tell me something - I guess he's telling me he is sick. :(

Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

UPDATE - the vet just called and it is definitely kidney failure. Also, my big guy had lost another pound since January when I had him in for the last UTI. It's hard to believe that his average healthy weight used to be 18-19 pounds and now he's only 13 pounds 4 ounces. :eek: She said she can't rule out kidney or bladder stones until she does an x-ray but she wants to wait to see how he does after sub-q fluids and a round of antibiotics. If he gets another infection in a few months it will mean stones are likely and we'll do an x-ray then. She is also prescribing more Valium since it makes him feel better and it increases his appetite. On a good note she said his heart seemed very healthy.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Positive thoughts and prayers going out for poor little Ripley. Hopefully whatever it is you caught it early enough to treat it, and if it's kidney failure, hopefully sub-q fluids will make him feel better.

Be good at the white coats, Ripley. Hope you feel better real soon and are back home where you belong. :(

RedHedd
04-20-2006, 10:28 AM
Prayers going out your way. I'm waiting for Mishi's thyroid test results too. It's so hard when they're sick as they can't tell us what hurts.

Mad Mags Moo
04-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Positive thoughts coming across the miles from me and my girls :)

Maresche
04-20-2006, 10:42 AM
I'm very sorry to hear this. I hope your vet can find what is causing Ripley to be doing so poorly and know of a way to help.

Big Hugs to you and pets to Ripley.

Pawsitive Thinking
04-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Hope they find what is troubling you sweet Ripley

Killearn Kitties
04-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Ripley sweetheart, the girls and I will be sending all our good vibes your way. Please feel better soon gorgeous boy.

jazzcat
04-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Here are a couple pictures I took of him last month.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/biggie3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/biggie2.jpg

catnapper
04-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Oh Lori.... what can I say? What sad news. What is his prgnosis? Can he have a while before his liver fails completely? Many prayers coming for you and Ripley.

sirrahved
04-20-2006, 11:14 AM
Poor Ripley! Prayers and kitty scritches your way!

jazzcat
04-20-2006, 11:15 AM
Oh Lori.... what can I say? What sad news. What is his prgnosis? Can he have a while before his liver fails completely? Many prayers coming for you and Ripley.
Hopefully giving him sub-q fluids as needed will sustain him for a while. It's not an instant death sentence, I know that. I will find out more when I go to pick him up this afternoon. The vet said she had some information for me to take home and read.

If anyone has experience with this I'd love to hear about it.

Cataholic
04-20-2006, 11:27 AM
I hope Ripley will have many more years ahead of him! I will keep him and you in my thoughts.

krazyaboutkatz
04-20-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I hope that the meds and sub-q fluids will help him feel better and that he'll be able to have a lot more time to spend with you. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-20-2006, 11:45 AM
I knew Ripley was at least 12 years old, but I wasn't sure exactly how old he really is, so I went searching and found this thread from his 13th birthday - with baby pics! http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=72922&highlight=ripley+birthday

I guess that means he turned 14 this March. Hopefully he'll get to see many many many more birthdays.

Just couldn't resist posting this thread because of the baby pics. He sure was a little cutie pie fluff ball. :D

jazzcat
04-20-2006, 11:55 AM
I knew Ripley was at least 12 years old, but I wasn't sure exactly how old he really is, so I went searching and found this thread from his 13th birthday - with baby pics! http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=72922&highlight=ripley+birthday

I guess that means he turned 14 this March. Hopefully he'll get to see many many many more birthdays.

Just couldn't resist posting this thread because of the baby pics. He sure was a little cutie pie fluff ball. :D
Thank you for posting that Debbie! It brought tears to my eyes.

He turned 14 on March 2 this year. :)

Vermontcat
04-20-2006, 12:55 PM
I hope Ripley feels better soon.
He was such an adorable kitten and he is such a handsome boy now.
Give him a gentle hug from me. :)

catmandu
04-20-2006, 01:14 PM
We are sending Prayers for Riley that the White Coats can find a way for Your Companion can come home to you.
The Pet Angels will send Some Angels to comfort Ripley and keep him Company.
Please Get Well Big Guy.

catlover4ever
04-20-2006, 01:41 PM
Ripley...get well soon!!!!

Lori, sending good thoughts your way for Ripley.

christa
04-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Lori: I just emailed you but I wanted to tell you again that I am so sorry about Ripley!!! Poor guy!!! You must be heart broken!

{{{HUGS}}} for you and PRAYERS for Ripley!!! Like you said, this isn't an automatic death sentence . . . he can still have years to live, as long as he gets the care he needs! Let's just pray that the vet will be able to give him what he needs. Hang in there, hon!!!

CatLuvrs
04-20-2006, 04:06 PM
I am so sorry.....Prayers to Ripley and you!

Michelle

G535
04-20-2006, 06:06 PM
Finnigan and I will be sending plenty of positive thoughts Ripley's way hoping he'll get better soon. :)

captain
04-20-2006, 06:28 PM
Lori,

{{{hugs}}} to you and Rip.

Can I just say, he doesn't look THAT old :D
Looks like a young stud muffin to me ..... :D

jenluckenbach
04-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Prayers for Ripley and HUGS for you. A sad finding indeed, but knowing about it wll help in treatment.

shais_mom
04-20-2006, 10:50 PM
hugs on the way for you and Grandpa Ripley!

sirrahbed
04-21-2006, 07:36 AM
:( I have e-mailed you about our Ernie (1986-2003) and our experience with his kidney failure...

I am sorry to read this about Ripley

(((HUGS))))

Barbara
04-21-2006, 07:48 AM
You know that Filou was diagnosed with kidney failure a year ago. He's doing well with weekly sub-q fluids. At the moment there is no difference in behavior or whatever.

The diet food he likes best is Royal Canin Renal- the dry food. He didn't like the Hill's K/D

There is a very good website in which you can learn all about this condition:

http://www.felinecrf.org/

All the best for Ripley- the diet and the fluids will give him some more quality lifetime. :)

sirrahbed
04-21-2006, 07:57 AM
I found this wonderful website (http://www.felinecrf.com/) that is all about feline chronic renal failure and I think it is just excellent, full of imformation and help. I wish I had this site back when our RB Ernie had the condition. Hope it helps someone else :)

PS.. the URL is similar to the one Barbara posted, but is ".com" rather than ".org") ;)

zoey
04-21-2006, 08:11 AM
*big hugs* to you and my prayers go out to little Ripley.
also visualizing those kidneys regenerating to strong and healthy!

Catty1
04-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Hugs and prayers to gorgeous loving Ripley!

Catty1

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-21-2006, 11:00 AM
Can we have an uppydate please, Lori? I'm hoping that no news is good news and Meowmy and Daddy are just spending some quality time with their big boy...... :confused: :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-21-2006, 11:06 AM
Lots of gentle hugs to you, Ripley!! How are you today???

jazzcat
04-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Thank you all.

Ripley came home yesterday afternoon and was one very angry boy after all the poking and proding he got at the vet. In fact, he didn't let her finish all the exam...that's my boy! He's feeling better already from the fluids. :) The vet said everything else on him was extremely healthy for a 14 year old cat and she was optimistic that with supportive care (sub-q fluids and other options as it advances) he will be with us for a while. :D

She says we did catch the kidney failure early and that based on past blood work he has had chronic kidney disease for a few years. When she started telling me about how some cats can live for several years with supportive care I had to tell her about our own Tubby. He's now my inspiration for Ripley.

One other thing, this morning I got to sleep in. Ripley didn't come wake me up and cry. He waited to greet me in the bathroom when I first got up like he used to always do. That's a great sign!

Thank you all for your support and good thoughts and prayers. We can definitely use them all because I'm not ready to lose Ripley any time soon.

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-21-2006, 11:44 AM
Awwww thanks for posting this great news!!!

Catty1
04-21-2006, 11:58 AM
Wonderful! It must have been soo pitiful when he woke you in bed...great to hear he's doing so well!

Catty

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-21-2006, 03:57 PM
All I can say is :D :D :D and more :D

Sevaede
04-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Hooray Ripley! It's glad to see that you're being your usual kitty self! :D

rg_girlca
04-21-2006, 08:27 PM
Oh Lori, when I first started to read this, I was heartbroken. Was I ever glad to read your latest update on precious Ripley. He is such a beautiful boy.

I am so elated to hear that he will be with you for a while. YYYYAAAYYYY!!!!!

((((((HUGS)))))) for you Lori and give that big boy a hug & kiss for me, okay. :)

krazyaboutkatz
04-22-2006, 01:02 AM
Lori, I'm so glad to hear that Ripley is now home and feeling better too.:) I hope that he continues to do well.

Barbara
04-22-2006, 02:53 AM
Yeah! for Ripley! He'll be with you for quite some time. :)

orangemm
04-22-2006, 03:41 AM
Ripley, we are all here, rooting for you!!! Get better soon, big fella! I know you've had some rough times at the vet's, but it's for your own good and if you let your meowmie take care of you, you will be feeling much better soon.

Scritches and head-bumpies to you, sweet boy!

jenluckenbach
04-22-2006, 05:20 AM
Such a great update. and I agree with Debbie. :D :D :D and more :D

catnapper
04-22-2006, 07:20 AM
Thank goodness for such a good prognosis! I'm sure you'll have your spirited man for a good ong time yet.

Jayna78
04-22-2006, 05:38 PM
Congrats on Ripley coming home. It's so great to read good news and know that cats can live long lives, even with health problems. :) Veterinary medicine has certainly come a long way over the last few years. :)