PDA

View Full Version : Choking scare!! - He's okay

Sirrahsim
04-20-2006, 01:00 AM
Oh my gosh... I am just starting to calm down. I'll preface this by saying that Tyler is FINE. Tyler was eating lunch a few minutes ago and started choking on some ravioli. It was the single most frightening experience I can think of.... He was making gagging motions, but he couldn't cough and wasn't making a sound. I unstrapped him from his high chair and flipped him face down with his head lower than his chest like I learned to do and thankfully the change in position was all that it took for him to spit it out. I am so freaked out right now, but SO GLAD that I took the time to do the Red Cross training!!!!!!!!!!

I urge anyone who hasn't taken a class in first aid to do it!!!
http://www.firstaid.ie/tip_infant_choking.htm

caseysmom
04-20-2006, 01:06 AM
The choking thing always freaked me out when my kids were babies, my first born seemed to choke on everything.

caseysmom
04-20-2006, 01:06 AM
Forgot to say I am glad Tyler is okay, now how about you :D

Pawsitive Thinking
04-20-2006, 03:29 AM
OMG! How frightening for you both. Well done you for leaping into action!!

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-20-2006, 05:05 AM
What a scare you had!!

critter crazy
04-20-2006, 06:24 AM
So glad that he is okay!!!! it is such a scary thing!!! BUT JUST SO YOU KNOW IT WILL NOT BE THE LAST TIME IT HAPPENS!! SO BE PREPARED!! great job though!!super mom!! :)

Daisy and Delilah
04-20-2006, 07:21 AM
OMG!! How scary. I hope all is well now with the entire family:(

IRescue452
04-20-2006, 08:17 AM
I'm glad he's alright. Its true it won't be the last time. To lighten the mood- a Hilary Clinton moment- "let's ban all pasta". ;)

moosmom
04-20-2006, 08:53 AM
Kids can definitely put the fear of God in us all!! They're ALWAYS putting stuff in their mouths, not to mention eating.

Good job!! You never think that you'll have to use the technique when you're taking the class. I had to use the Heimlich Maneuver at a Mexican Restaurant years ago. A woman was choking on a nacho chip. It worked and she was greatful. I was happy to oblige. It was the only time I've ever used it.

Cataholic
04-20-2006, 09:00 AM
OMG!!! I have tears in my eyes just reading this, Missy!!! Poor Tyler, and POOR YOU!!! Thank GOD he is fine (and you will recover).

king2005
04-20-2006, 09:55 AM
wow, talk about a scare! Glad hes ok & that it was a soft slimy food (comes out easier)... My old dog was choaking once & I was scared to death as I had no idea how to help him, as I had training for a human, not a dog.. He was so obident during it, I got him to sit & open his mouth for me. Dad held him & I reached in & luckly my hand was small enough to get way back there. I took the object out & tossed out the treat. Rawhide is evil even when your watching the dog.

sirrahved
04-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Poor Tyler! Glad mommy thought quickly and now your fine!

Some Auntie advice- chew next time, little guy!

BC_MoM
04-20-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm so paranoid when it comes to younger kids and food. Especially when I'm babysitting.

Last time I went babysitting, I was so hesitant to let the kids have some Jolly Ranchers.

I haven't taken a course in 5 years and am very rusty.. time to take it again so that I'm confident enough!