PDA

View Full Version : Please can I ask?

Flatcoatluver
04-20-2006, 12:08 AM
This is a painful thread for me to write. But Salt's health took a turn for the bad. I came home and he was hardly breathing and laying on the rocks.I gave him some conditioner and other stuff I read about. For more information about him click
here (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=103111).
I am just so shocked. He had such a bad life and he is pretty much gone. Can I please ask some prayer request.

IRescue452
04-20-2006, 08:13 AM
Do you have a water test kit? You should do a large water change and see if that helps.

king2005
04-20-2006, 09:28 AM
add some table salt to his water.. add 5 table spoons ASAP (you said he was in a 50gal right? its 1 table spoon/10 gallons of water.

Turn the tank heater up to 82F & get rid of any bright lights. Just make him relaxed. Leave him alone & hope for the best.. I'd remove the goldfish for now, as he needs to be alone & not picked on.

IRescue452
04-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Do not add table salt unless the ingredients are listed! Most tables salts contain a form of prussic acid or yellow prussate which is toxic to fish. Adding salt helps the fish through the symptoms of water toxins (which could be the problem) but a water change will actually get rid of the toxins.

My Peanuts
04-20-2006, 01:03 PM
No table salt! It has to be Fresh water aquarium salt found at petco and most pet stores.

Prayers are on the way for Salt.

Flatcoatluver
04-20-2006, 02:19 PM
ok I seperated him from the goldfish, but when I get home I will put him in the 55 and take the 3 goldfish out. I did a water change last night and I guess i will just hope for the best, right?

king2005
04-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Regular table salt has worked for years & it was reccomended to me by fish experts. I've had 7yr old goldfish (their death was an accident caused by a neighbour), I have a 5 & 4yr old fish & they are just fine.. I add salt to the water every week with a water change.

When I moved to my new apt. Jack had bruses up & down his poor body. I added my regular table salt & he was feeling much better the next day.

IRescue452
04-20-2006, 03:01 PM
I'll bet it wasn't bruises. How on earth do you transport the poor fish. What kind of person told you to use table salt? Some clerk at an LFS? You are lucky you haven't killed the fish yet, perhaps you use table salt without prussic acid without even knowing it- morton makes plain salt as a table salt. You really only should add salt when you are treating ich or water toxins in goldies. A consistent salinity doesn't harm the fish, but it makes it harder to treat problems that require salt.
Flatcoatlover, I wouldn't put any of your fish in a tank that isn't properly set up. You really should just treat the cichlid in the tank or put him in a quarentine tank. Leave the goldies where they are since they ultimately need more water. You should probably do another water change today as well.

lute
04-20-2006, 03:16 PM
prayers a commin! GET WELL SOON FISHY!

My Peanuts
04-20-2006, 03:28 PM
I'll bet it wasn't bruises. How on earth do you transport the poor fish. What kind of person told you to use table salt? Some clerk at an LFS? You are lucky you haven't killed the fish yet, perhaps you use table salt without prussic acid without even knowing it- morton makes plain salt as a table salt. You really only should add salt when you are treating ich or water toxins in goldies. A consistent salinity doesn't harm the fish, but it makes it harder to treat problems that require salt.
Flatcoatlover, I wouldn't put any of your fish in a tank that isn't properly set up. You really should just treat the cichlid in the tank or put him in a quarentine tank. Leave the goldies where they are since they ultimately need more water. You should probably do another water change today as well.

I agree with everything. :) With the acceptation of one thing, I use Doc fishwell's fresh water aquarium salt whenever I do water changes. I've used it for years and my Cichlids are very healthy. If a problem occurs (hasn't happened yet) I was told to just add extra salt. Same concept though.

king2005
04-20-2006, 03:52 PM

It was bruses, as its happened to him before. I took photos of him & they said he prob. freaked out in the bag & brused himself as it was blueish.

I put him & Mango in large fish bags & into a fish cooler. Jack is a sensitive fish to touch & bruses easly. Mango isn't a sensitive fish & never bruses.

I don't go to LFS, I go to Fish stores or large Fish breeders (been doing it for 20 years). I was told to use regular Table salt, nothing fancy. Cichlids need a bit of salt in their water, other wise they get sick. I tried fish salt once & it did nothing as the fish got sick.. I put them on table salt & they healed right away & never got sick again. I never had fish get ich when using table salt & my mom couldn't keep her fish alive with fish salt (I took over & the rest survived).

I'm not some stupid kid, I'm an adult (I didn't like the way you worded your post). My hobby is fish, turtles, bugs & dogs. Like I said I have 20 years on my belt & never had any issues only great results! My dad had an Angel fish for 10 years living off table salt, it only died because my sister (she was 4 & not all that bright) tried to clean the tank with a bar of soap :rolleyes:
For anyone who doesn't know, Soap will kill a fish. Always use bleach, vinager, or salt when cleaning an empty tank. a tiny bit of bleach, vinager, or salt left over from a cleaning shouldn't kill the fish, where the soap will (it gets stuck on their gills & they cannot breath)..

would post more, but gotta run

Flatcoatluver
04-20-2006, 05:50 PM
ok thanks for the advise. I will try another water change and keep the goldies in the 55 gallon. My sick one is already quarentined