PDA

View Full Version : Does your dog like carrots?

wolfsoul
04-19-2006, 11:03 PM
I never thought Visa would be a big carrot fan. She doesn't like hard treats very much, and her veggies have to be mixed into meat in order to get her to eat them. The other day though, I bought a bunch of big fresh carrots for myself, and realised that there was no way I was going to eat all of them before they went bad. So I started to throw a carrot around for Visa and she eventually ate it. She is lying on my floor right now munching away on another carrot. I checked her stools after the first one and they are perfectly normal, so I guess this is going to be a regular snack!

Do your dogs like carrots?

Glacier
04-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Earle loves carrots! He's on a diet right now so he's getting carrots as treats.

pnance
04-19-2006, 11:07 PM
All 4 of mine love carrots!! That doesn't say much in Hunter's case he'll eat anything, even meds! :eek:

Tollers-n-Dobes
I've never had a dog who didn't love carrots!

The Cat Factory
Chester loves carrots! :D

kimboe
04-19-2006, 11:34 PM
Camen doesn't like raw carrots but he'll eat them if they are cooked.....What a fussy dog :rolleyes:

Daisy Jo's Mom
04-19-2006, 11:44 PM
Daisy loves carrots...the vet told me to feed them to her every once in a while as a treat to regulate her bowel movements...sometimes when she eats to many...her poop is orange!!! LOL

Sevaede
04-20-2006, 12:00 AM
I never thought Visa would be a big carrot fan. She doesn't like hard treats very much, and her veggies have to be mixed into meat in order to get her to eat them. The other day though, I bought a bunch of big fresh carrots for myself, and realised that there was no way I was going to eat all of them before they went bad. So I started to throw a carrot around for Visa and she eventually ate it. She is lying on my floor right now munching away on another carrot. I checked her stools after the first one and they are perfectly normal, so I guess this is going to be a regular snack!

Do your dogs like carrots?

Yep! My moms dogs love vegetables. In fact, the only thing Trixie won't eat are plums and pickled asparagus. Willy will not eat green olives. Little Dog is super picky so you kind of have to just see what happens but I know that she likes cheese, ham, beef jerky, and green peas! My cats, all of them, past and present, like or have liked vegetables and fruit. My grandfathers RB Tig used to love cantaloupe!

jennawing
04-20-2006, 12:05 AM
All my dogs love carrots. Every morning when I get baby carrots out for the pigs and bunny, have to get them for the dogs, too.

cali
04-20-2006, 01:09 AM
if I have 2 grocery bags, one with meat and one with Veggies, Misty graviates to the veggies lol cant say I have ever had much of a carrot fan as Shadow is though, but only baby carrots, if you give her a big carrot peald or not she wont touch it, but she will go absolutly crazy for baby carrots!

Cinder & Smoke
04-20-2006, 02:26 AM
Yuppers, we ALL munch on "Healthy Snackz" at the Ranch! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

Baby Carrots were an "acquired" taste ... years ago a few were *spit out* and rejected -
but SmokeMutt gave in and *tried* a couple - then Cinder ate em because HE did ...
as they say - "The rest is History!"

Bowser eats ANYthing ... so Carrots are just fine with him!

And whenever we have Pat & Joan's Cali Dawg - like we've had for a week and
will have till Wed or Thursday of next week - she's a food hound and enjoys a good Carrot Snack!

Most of em (I guess Cinder is the *Phussie Wun* and turns up her nose at something
that's "different") will eat most Veggies and Fruit - as long as *I* eat some FIRST!
Cucumbers, tomatoes, oranges, and mellons are all on their A-OK list.

Apples were a hard sell for a while ... I tried Smokey first ... he *chewed* for
what seemed like hours - then *spit it out* with hardly a tooth mark on the piece.
Cinder would *grab it*, savor it, then *P-tooie* it out like a hot pepper!
After a LOT of attempts, Smokey finally *ate* an apple piece - and came back
for seconds ... all Cinder needed -- "He *LIKES* it - GIMMIE some!"

Bowser and Cali both accepted apples on the first try ... I made a salad tonight
and wound up giving most of my apple pieces to the Dawgs! Not to mention having to
chop a dozen baby carrots for the Four Mutts!

Smokey will even grab a dropped piece of lettuce - Cinder isn't too fond of it - yet.

I tease em when done with a salad - I offer and they start to lap up the left-over
salad Dressing - both Italian and French are my favorites. Any one of the Four
will start *lappin* it up - but I can tell by their facial expression NONE of them
"likes" it - they just don't want the Other Guys getting any! Since I can't believe
Salad Dressing is "good" for dogs - only one of em (first to the bowl) gets a
couple of licks before I pull it away.
I just LOVE the *pulled-back-lips* and the "DAD! This stuff tastes AWFUL!!"
look that they all get when lappin up http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif salad dressing!

Kat has even been sucked in with the Salad Sauce - he *thinks* it's Ice Creme -
we often use the same bowl for both - and he'll KILL for ice creme soup ...
takes him a lick or two to decide it's http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/mad.gif salad dressing.

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

chocolatepuppy
04-20-2006, 05:02 AM
My pups won't eat carrots. :o

Pam
04-20-2006, 05:26 AM
Phred, I loved your post. I got a comical mental picture. :)

Yep my two love carrots! I buy the little baby carrots and offer them as treatsfor good behavior as well as snacks. Hubby eats an apple for breakfast every day (I know, it's a strange breakfast :rolleyes: ) and he cuts up little pieces for the dogs and they really look forward to it. They also love, love, love lettuce. I discovered this one day by accident when I dropped a piece on the floor while making salad. :) I also give them cooked green beans mixed in with their kibble sometimes.

husky 1
04-20-2006, 07:00 AM
Yep ,mine All Luv Raw Carrots ;) :)

Pembroke_Corgi
04-20-2006, 07:00 AM
Yes they all like carrots, but there are very few things that they won't eat! :)

Lori Jordan
04-20-2006, 07:20 AM
I have Veggie dogs in my house!!!!Maggy loves Green Peppers and my cat callie eats tomatoes weird arnt they?

BitsyNaceyDog
04-20-2006, 07:35 AM
Mine all love carrots too.

IRescue452
04-20-2006, 07:50 AM
Pepper never liked veggies, but Autumn can't get enough. The one thing I can't get her or the cat to eat are olives (which cats are supposed to love). Autumn rolls in them and Sonny turns his nose up to them. I feel veggies are as important to dogs as meat.

mruffruff
04-20-2006, 07:56 AM
Both Scruffy & Samson like carrots. Bella Mae won't touch them--unless they're in her bowl with her kibble! Scruffy loves lettuce. No one likes green pepper or tomato.

Carrots were the snack of choice for my (RB) diabetic dog, Bear. He would eat anything, but it wasn't good for him so I stuck with a carrot or two each day.

abbersmom
04-20-2006, 07:59 AM
Abber LOVES them!

king2005
04-20-2006, 08:03 AM
my old guy loved carrots & so did cadeau. However Cyrus HATES them. I was upstairs with Rose & Cyrus was begging for food quietly. I said, awww give the baby a carrot. We had a silly conversation & she said watch he wont eat it. She gives it to him & he spit it out in the silliest mannor!! OMG it was so funny. So I picked it up, made him do his tricks & gave it to him.. she mouthed it & then spit it out & was chasing it around the floor!!! HAHAHA hes such a goofball!

elizabethann
04-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Fenway eats carrots in his dry food...but they're very tiny pieces so I don't think he can really taste them. When I offer him a carrot stick, he won't eat it.

K9soul
04-20-2006, 08:56 AM
Both of mine enjoy carrots, but Tasha in particular enjoys them, especially ones from the garden!

http://www.doordolt.com/jess/gardenuncropped/tashacarrot.jpg

Pawsitive Thinking
04-20-2006, 09:11 AM
Tobey loves them! Every morning "I'm a rabbit, honest"

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/Denise40_0/identitycrisis.jpg

lv4dogs
04-20-2006, 09:16 AM
My dogs won't eat carrots unless they are cooked. Nanook & Raustyk used to like raw carrots but they haven't liked them in years now they wouldn't eat one if their life depended on it. Kaige will sometimes nibble on them but thats about the extent of it.

gemini9961
04-20-2006, 09:54 AM
Maggie loves them. :) Sadie will take it and shake it, make sure it's dead. :confused: Sadie will eat it but she doesn't really come back for more. Grant, he eats anything so yep.

zoomer
04-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Well Buddy will eat absoulutly anything! I'm not sure about Alaska and Georgia, though.

Suki Wingy
04-20-2006, 10:29 AM
He does. :)

ParNone
04-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Oh definitely. I've yet to find something mine won't eat. They're always sitting in front of me, waiting for a bite, whether I'm eating steak or salad. I'm sure they wouldn't trade a bite of steak for a piece of lettuce or carrot, but when it's that or nothing, veggies are apparently quite tasty.

Phred, Oz, Gull and Murph suggest you switch to Ceasar dressing. Nothin' better they say, especially if there's some parmesan cheese floating around in it. :)

Par...

BC_MoM
04-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Definitely. Mickey LOVES vegetables. Molly loves anything, but I've noticed has troubles eating vegetables.. it's like she has a deformed mouth! :confused: :p

critter crazy
04-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Duke loves carrots!! of course he will eat anthing we give him!!! :D

luvofallhorses
04-20-2006, 11:19 AM
My pups won't eat carrots. :o

mine either, but Buster will eat lettuce.. :rolleyes:

lute
04-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Both the dogs love carrots. well, Gracie is a given...she'll eat anything. :rolleyes:

buttercup132
04-20-2006, 02:42 PM
All my dogs love carrots. Every morning when I get baby carrots out for the pigs and bunny, have to get them for the dogs, too.Baby carrots arent good for bunnies because they have too much sugar in them wich is very bad for little bunnies. I'm not sure if it's the same for dogs but I think big raw ones would be better for all the animals. My dogs HATE veggies lol but I did grind up some carrots once and they ate it ..mind you it was mixed with grated cheese.:rolleyes:

k9krazee
04-20-2006, 03:15 PM
Yup! All 5! Shadow used to HATE carrots...and lettuce...but since she sees the others eat it, she eats it too!

chocolatecoffee
04-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Panna LOOOVES carrots, it's her favourite food. She goes insane whenever she sees one which is great since she's on a diet! She pretty much loves all vegetables, one time she got ahold of a spinach leaf and inhaled it. Cannelle will eat them, but she prefers meat, and Mocha will NOT touch them. She did eat one once when Panna wanted it, but that's the only time and she refuses to eat anymore :p.