PDA

View Full Version : Some serious camera tips?

Giselle
04-19-2006, 09:37 PM
I know I know...The camera doesn't take nice pictures; you do. So why can't I?!?! :p I've seen a lot of SUPERB pictures come out of simple Canon Powershot A80's. I have a Canon Powershot A75 myself and since there are seemingly minute differences between A75's and A80's, why can't I take pictures like the rest of 'ya? Of course, the basics apply like a clear subject, good natural lighting, balance, etc. etc. I've seen "depth of field" mentioned a couple times, but I'm having trouble grasping that concept. Besides that, can any of you shed light on what makes a good photograph?

Lengthy replies and many URL's are encouraged!!! :D

While you're at it, can anybody who has had a Powershot A75 or similar camera share tips on how to properly utilize the many functions? I really don't feel like I'm using my camera to the best of its ability.

Jessika
04-19-2006, 09:55 PM
I have a powershot and they are all pretty relatively similar (though not exactly). The functions are all there.

For me, I first set my lighting to the proper lighting. I usually have it on "auto", but if I go outside I set it on sunlight or cloudy, if I am indoors I set it on incadescant, etc.

THEN I take a test picture. If its too bright, I adjust my exposure to -1 and test again. Still too bright, I set it all the way down to -2. The exact opposite if the picture is too dark -- raise it to +1 or +2.

If you want to take GOOD indoor pictures, DO NOT use flash (or if you do, use and external flash and bounce it off of something like the ceiling. This creates a "softer" light and also avoids red eye!). If you take pictures indoors make sure to do it by an open window or door in a room with GOOD lighting. Set the camera setting to "auto" and turn the flash off. Auto for some reason has the fastest shutter speed so it takes better pictures in low light than manual mode, even if you have the ISO set to 50 or auto lol.

Anyway. The ISO setting! You can usually keep it on auto, but if you are trying to get an action shot and they keep coming out blurry (outdoors) you have a few options. First is to lower to ISO setting. This is a faster shutter speed but lets in less light, so you MAY have to raise the exposure to make up for it.
The second option is to turn the flash on and, yes, use flash outdoors. This works ESPECIALLY well in situations where the subject is facing away from the sun and their face is cast in shadow.

There are a LOT more tips I have but I have to leave to pick my fiance up from work; I'll continue when I get back!

binka_nugget
04-19-2006, 11:32 PM
I have the same camera as you! :D

Play around with it in the manual setting. You can get decent pictures in auto but manual is where you can get really creative. If you look at the thread I posted in dog general, you'll see a couple of black and white photos.. those were taken in the manual mode. I think the ISO was 50, aperature was at 2.8 and shutter speed at 1/8 or something like that. I generally keep the ISO setting at 50 (pictures end up less "grainy") and play around with the aperature and shutter speed. If I want a blurry background behind the object, I use 2.8. If everything's about the same distance away and I don't want anything blurred, I use a higher number.

Giselle
04-20-2006, 01:29 AM
Heh heh...can you define aperture and where to find it on the camera? Hehe...you can adjust the ISO on the "P" setting which means jibberjabber to me, LOL, but I'm wondering why you can't adjust the ISO on the portrait setting? Thanks guys! Your replies REALLY helped!

Russian Blue
04-20-2006, 08:42 AM
This is an excellent website that will explain all photography basics (aperature, depth of field etc.). Just use the scroll bar located on the right side of the page:

Digital Camera Tutorials (http://www.dcviews.com/tutors.htm)

Jessika
04-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Heh heh...can you define aperture and where to find it on the camera? Hehe...you can adjust the ISO on the "P" setting which means jibberjabber to me, LOL, but I'm wondering why you can't adjust the ISO on the portrait setting? Thanks guys! Your replies REALLY helped!
That's because settings like "portriat" etc have predefined settings and limited things you can play around with (like lighting). If you want to have complete control over your shooting, then get in manual mode and play around. Honestly the only way I figured it out was to just play around with settings myself to see what each one did!

Also do you have the manual for your camera? It will have lots of tips on how to use your camera.

binka_nugget
04-20-2006, 01:01 PM

Set the camera to the "M" mode. See the number on the bottom left side? It should say 1/4, 1/5, 1/6, 1/8, etc. That's your shutter speed. So 1/4 would be 1/4 of a second. Press "set" to select it. If you want a faster shutter speed, press the right button (and vice versa).

To set the aperature, press set until the arrow points at F__. F2.8 is useful for when you want to take a picture of something close to you and have a blurry background (I use it for pictures of my bettas, for example). As you go higher and higher in the aperature number, the background gets clearer (and the picture gets darker).

If you wanna go totally manual, you can also manually focus the camera. Press the macro button twice (until it says "MF"). Then press left or right until it's focused.

K9soul
04-20-2006, 01:08 PM
This is an excellent website that will explain all photography basics (aperature, depth of field etc.). Just use the scroll bar located on the right side of the page:

Digital Camera Tutorials (http://www.dcviews.com/tutors.htm)

Thanks for posting that. I've been doing a lot of reading/experimenting myself lately but still hadn't really found what I was looking for as far as a good basic tutorial type site. I have a lot of options on my camera for manual pictures etc and have read usually the best digital camera photos are done in manual mode with some manipulation to the settings rather than automatic modes. I KNOW I'm not using my camera to its full potential yet and I am really wanting to.

Giselle
04-20-2006, 03:58 PM
You guys are my heros :D I lost the manual, but I wish I hadn't. For now, I'm just playing around with the settings (which I've been scared to do before for fear of breaking the camera LOL). Thank you SO much, Russian Blue. That's exactly the type of link I was looking for.

Russian Blue
04-20-2006, 06:13 PM
I lost the manual, but I wish I hadn't. For now, I'm just playing around with the settings (which I've been scared to do before for fear of breaking the camera LOL).
Go to this link - Canon A75 - User Manual (http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=DownloadDetailAct&fcategoryid=320&modelid=9828) - then click on Product/Software Manual - then click on PowerShot A75 Camera User Guide to download. Voila, a new manual for you to explore! ;)

Thank you SO much, Russian Blue. That's exactly the type of link I was looking for.
No problem, I help when I can.