PDA

View Full Version : At what age can my westie have her first litter?

lucyloo55
04-19-2006, 02:28 PM
I want her to have one litter of pups and the thing is that I get 6 weeks holiday in the summer every year so I hope to be able to time it so that she has her pups in that time.
She is only 8 months old at present. What age will she be able to have pups??
Thanks

moosmom
04-19-2006, 02:32 PM
From what I know, you should let her go into heat once before you mate her. WHY you want to breed her is beyond me, since there are SOOOO many unwanted pups desperately needing homes.

buttercup132
04-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Why are you breeding her?

I would say not age I'm against breeding as are most people on here....get her spayed is the best if you want a puppy go to the shelter I'm sure theres either a Westie rescue near you or I'm sure you could find one in a shelter.
I suggest you watch this video its the link on the first post..
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=99111
Theres also this thread
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=102768&highlight=convincing+breed

Please dont breed her theres enough purebreds that are homless dont add to the number
Theres also this wich is very true
10) You like the idea of having a house overrun by dogs you were unable to sell.

9) You'd rather spend all your money on dog bills than buy that new faux fur coat/build the new house addition/get that new car/buy a boat, etc.

8) You get to spend all your spare time at the vet's office.

7) Making enemies with the neighbors is a big priority on your list of things to do.

6) You never wanted a yard with grass anyway--mud is so much more stylish.

5) Staying up all night bottle-feeding sick/orphaned/bitch-rejected puppies is your idea of a good time.

4) You savor the idea of having to explain to the kids why Fifi didn't come home after that one-way trip to the veterinarian during labor complications.

3) It will be fun watching the kids' expressions when you tell them that all the puppies they were so enthusiastically looking forward to having, died.

2) Chewed-up furniture, peed-on rugs, and fur everywhere is THE new "look" in home fashion.

And the number one reason to breed your dog is......

1) Adding to the huge number of genetically inferior/homeless/euthanized dogs is something you've always wanted to do.

caseysmom
04-19-2006, 02:33 PM
I am assuming from your question that you know next to nothing about breeding, please have your dog spayed. Unless you are a responsible breeder you should not be doing this. You would be a back yard breeder.

You will hear a lot more from others on this board, most of us feel pretty strongly about this subject.

IRescue452
04-19-2006, 02:34 PM
2-3 years is best I believe, why would you want to breed your dog. Do you know the risks? Do you know all the steps for breeding, the health tests, the money you need to set aside for complications? After all the research you'll find you are doing yourself and your puppy a favor by not breeding.

lv4dogs
04-19-2006, 02:34 PM
From what I know, you should let her go into heat once before you mate her. WHY you want to breed her is beyond me, since there are SOOOO many unwanted pups desperately needing homes.

ACtually they should go through at least 2-3 heats, they should be at least 2 years of age before they are bred.
BUT you should ONLY breed to improve the breed. Both parents (and preferably further back in the lines) should all have complete health tests to make sure their eyes & joints are stable & ok and have no genetic diseases that may be passed on down the road (like diabetes, allergies, etc... etc...) the parents should also have titles to prove they are a great specimin of the breed.

Can I ask why you want to breed her?

k9krazee
04-19-2006, 02:36 PM
Hello! Welcome to PT.

May I ask WHY you want to breed your Westie?? We believe that the only people that should breed dogs are those that are doing it to BETTER the breed, show their dogs, have completed the health testing, have homes lined up WELL in advance, etc.

Please do not breed your dog :( There are 105 Westies currently on petfinder that need homes. And for every dog you sell, that is one more dog out there in shelters that has to die. Please reconsider!!

kb2yjx
04-19-2006, 02:36 PM
Ditto to ALL the above posts!!! There are THOUSANDS of cats and dogs being put to sleep EVERY DAY in the US because there not enough homes!!! Save lives, please have your dog spayed!!!

moosmom
04-19-2006, 02:40 PM
lv4dogs,

Thanks, I stand corrected.

Why DO you want to breed??? That was my first question.

Suki Wingy
04-19-2006, 03:23 PM
DISCLAIMER: Since you posted very little info, I have to make assumptions.
I'm guessing she's not show quality because you would have asked your breeder that first. Since you didn't, and you are thinking about it, then that probably means that she's not from a reputable breeder. A responsible breeder would have spayed all the pet quality puppies. Because she's from that type of lines, chances are she'll pass on some sort of disorder, even though she might not show it, or there will be a complication durring pregnancy or birth, in which case you might loose all or some puppies, or even your precious bitch.
The tests to make sure she doesn't (as well as the sire) have any problems that might cause death/complications durring birth or pregnancy are very expensive. Plus C-sections and after birth care can get VERY expensive.
Additionally, letting your bitch come into heat increases the chance of reproduction-relacted cancer, which are also very high.
Finally, breeding dogs carelessly quickly leaves a trail of destruction that we then have to dedicate our time and money to save.
*Only breed if you have a goal in mind as to what you will make better, whether for show or work. (Not to many westies actually work going to ground nowadays)

kimboe
04-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Get her spayed. Please :)

critter crazy
04-19-2006, 03:30 PM
DITTO TO ALL THE ABOVE!!!!! SPAY YOUR DOG AND GET A RESCUE!!!!!!!

Giselle
04-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Because a friend of mine wanted a Westie, I know that this breed in particular seems to be more susceptible to allergies, bladder cancer, luxating patellas, and eye problems.

In addition, each pure breed of dogs has its own particular hereditary problems; some minor, some impairing, and some possibly fatal. Some may show a very strong hereditary basis and others not much more than a tendency to "run in families." The Westie is no exception. Failure to screen for hereditary problems before breeding often results in the "doubling up" of unfavorable genes, and the results are distressing for the buyer and dog alike.

- The West Highland White Terrier Club of America
http://www.westieclubamerica.com/health/concerns.html

As you can see, there are a wide range of diseases that the Westie, in particular, is prone to. It's up to you the owner to avoid these health maladies. The best way is to screen your dog via blood tests, Optigen ( http://www.optigen.com/), OFA (http://www.offa.org/), PennHip (http://www.pennhip.org/), CERF (http://www.vmdb.org/cerf.html). It should be worthy to note that your dog must be around 2 years to have successfully screened and passed her patellas and hips. So to answer your initial question, you'll have to wait a couple years for those puppies.

If your b*tch passes all these tests, congratulations! You have a very nice healthy foundation for a successful breeding program. Now it's just time to evaluate why you want to breed. In order to "prove" your dog can help improve the breed, you'll need to enter her in either field trials or conformation shows. Or maybe she excells at an entirely different event completely. The point is that she brings something new to the table. She needs physical proof that she can help better the breed, whether it be through her fantastic conformation or her strong work ethic. Being "cute" and "sweet" simply is not enough in this overpopulated world. I truly hope this gave you something to chew on. If you're still interested in breeding, pair up with a REPUTABLE breeder and see if they would like to mentor you. Chances are you'll have to wait a couple months/years to get your hands on a good foundation b*tch, and you'll have to wait even longer to acquire the semen of a good stud dog. For starters, you can attend a local dog show and talk to the Westie breeders or visit: http://www.westieclubamerica.com/teamwestie/rrc.html

Breeding isn't a six-week venture. It's a life-long dedication to the breed.

lute
04-19-2006, 04:23 PM
don't even consider breeding her unless you do what's lited below!!!...

wait till she's 2-4yrs old.
genetic tests
vet check-up
shots up to date
register her
find a REPUTABLE breeder that has a nice male that contridicts your westie's faults.
show her in conformation, agility, obiediance, etc.
make sure you have homes for ALL the pups when they are ready to go to their new homes
take back the pups when
be ready to take back the pups if their homes don't work out.
have PLENTY of money stashed away for stuff for the pups such as shots, food, emergancy kit, vet care, etc

i've forgot some of it, but it takes A LOT to have a succesful, healthy litter.

oh, if you just have a cute little pet you want to breed....DON'T BREED HER!!!!!!!
if you still want to breed your "pet" go visit a humane society and just know that a lot of those puppies won't make it out of there alive just becase there are no homes for them....and if you breed you will be adding to this.

if you want cute pups running about your house become a foster parent to a animal shelter or rescue(even a westie rescue). you'll be litterally saving lives. :D

lucyloo55
04-19-2006, 05:06 PM
the reason I would like to breed her is because I have members of my family and a few people I know who really want a westie.

The reason I posted the question on here is because I want to do it properly and in an informed manner.

I have never had a dog who has had pups in my entire life and this is why I would be a novice at this but I guess everybody has to start somewhere.

I really can not stand people who always think the worst of people before knowing any facts.

BC_MoM
04-19-2006, 05:16 PM
You should do YEARS of research before you attempt to breed a dog. And before breeding your own, how about assist a local REPUTABLE breeder in breeding so you have some experience and see how it's done?

You wouldn't believe how expensive it is to raise a litter. And almost no profit is made at all, if any.

I suggest you tell your friends and family to look into local rescues and shelters to find a Westie or a Westie mix.

"Why breed and buy while shelter dogs die?"

Tollers-n-Dobes
04-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Why do the people you know want a Westie?? Do they know anything about the breed? I would reccomend not breeding her since you obviously did not get her from a responisble breeding. Which means you do not have a clue what she could be carrying and passing on to her puppies since her parents probably were not health tested...and I doubt you're going to test your girl. If you did get her from a responsible breeder, the breeder would be making plans to breed her, not you. I really hope you reconsider!

Lori Jordan
04-19-2006, 05:41 PM
I always waited until they were 3,I would think long and hard before making a big decision like that!I still have 2 cats from my cats litter from June 2005 it aint always easy finding homes!

Lori Jordan
04-19-2006, 05:46 PM
the reason I would like to breed her is because I have members of my family and a few people I know who really want a westie.

The reason I posted the question on here is because I want to do it properly and in an informed manner.

I have never had a dog who has had pups in my entire life and this is why I would be a novice at this but I guess everybody has to start somewhere.

I really can not stand people who always think the worst of people before knowing any facts.
Ok first,Have you thought about "What can go wrong" Some females just cannot handle delivering a good friend of mine lost one of her top dogs who had already had 3 litters,Have you thought about Cost?Have you thought about the 8 weeks ahead of having puppies overwhelm your home.I am not against breeding at all i bred German Shepherds but,you need to think things over!!

My Peanuts
04-19-2006, 05:56 PM

Have you had extensive and expensive tests run so that you know she is the best possible Westie to breed? I'm certain you wouldn't want to pass on unfavorable traits and diseases to family and friends who may very well breed those puppies and continue to pass on those traits. If you have had those tests run on the mother and father then I apologize for what I'm about to type. You have given us VERY little information and I suspect you of being a back yard breeder.

Tell your family and friends that there are plenty of people the breed Westies ONLY to better the breed or to go to a shelter. There are many too many dogs getting put down for the reasons you mentioned for breeding.

I think you are on the wrong site. You might want to go on Google and type in “irresponsible breeding.” While you’re at it you might want to look up all the homeless puppy and dog faces that you personally are just adding to for no good reason. So many dogs are euthanized because of people like you. I only hope you can make better choices with other life decisions since you SEEM to be taking this too lightly.

Again, if you have two PERFECT Westies then I apologize.

My Peanuts
04-19-2006, 06:01 PM

Start somewhere!?! I can't imagine how many dogs will be put down if you decide to breed irresponsibly over the years. Unbelievable! :mad:

Like I posted before, I'm jumping to this because of the information she gave us. If she has done all the genetic testing and waits until the pup is of age then I will very much apologize. I really don't think that's going to be the case. I hate when people do things without realizing the consequences for their actions.

lute
04-19-2006, 06:52 PM

if someone you knwo wants a westie, help them find a REPUTABLE breeder or rescue. this is a much better thing to do!

believe it or not we are not thinking the worst of you. we've had way too many people come here asking the same question. we are looking out for the well being of your dog. it's not that we don't know the facts, we just know what happends to people that want to breed their "pet".

i understand your intention of wanting to do this right, but honestly the best way to do it is to NOT do it at all.

"everyone has to start somewhere" WTF?! this is just a foolish and stupid thing to say.

flip195
04-19-2006, 07:13 PM
I want her to have one litter of pups and the thing is that I get 6 weeks holiday in the summer every year so I hope to be able to time it so that she has her pups in that time.
She is only 8 months old at present. What age will she be able to have pups??
Thanks

There are 105 westies listed on petfinder today alone, maybe your ppl would like to adopt as these dogs are in danger of dying.

Best thing you could do is spay your dog, having litters of puppies are all well and good until something goes wrong and you are face with a $2000 vets bill or losing your dog and the puppies. Westie do have a lot of problems birthing then you should run a full screen of tests before breeding add another 500 so it goes on .

Don't Litter adopt a shelter dog.

lute
04-19-2006, 07:19 PM
There are 105 westies listed on petfinder today alone, maybe your ppl would like to adopt as these dogs are in danger of dying.

if she still breeds her dog after knowing there are this many homeless westies(a breed she wants to breed) that are in danger of peing killed, she's heartless. :(

luvofallhorses
04-19-2006, 07:20 PM
Please Get Her Spayed And Adopt A Dog From A Shelter. There Are Plenty Of Them Needing Homes Already!!

Alysser
04-19-2006, 07:28 PM
If improperly bred, these dogs will be a nuisance and very bad. They will have behavioral problems and health problems. The members of your family should just buy from a certifeid breeder with years of expeirce.

luvofallhorses
04-19-2006, 07:34 PM
You should do YEARS of research before you attempt to breed a dog. And before breeding your own, how about assist a local REPUTABLE breeder in breeding so you have some experience and see how it's done?

You wouldn't believe how expensive it is to raise a litter. And almost no profit is made at all, if any.

I suggest you tell your friends and family to look into local rescues and shelters to find a Westie or a Westie mix.

"Why breed and buy while shelter dogs die?"

well said, Jess.

*LabLoverKEB*
04-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Arghhhh!! :mad: :( PLEASE GET YOUR DOG SPAYED! It not healthy for a dog to have puppies..... IMO. She'll live longer, stay healthier, and mnay other good things will happen if you spay your dog.
PLEASE SPAY YOUR DOG!!

Giselle
04-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Hey there, I won't bash you, don't worry :) I'm not going to scream SPAY YOUR DOG at you, don't worry. What I will do is try to set you off in the right direction. You obviously have a passion for your dog and puppies alike. That, however, is not reason enough to breed. I don't have the heart to type it all again, but I don't think you *read* my previous post. So here it is again in all its glory :p

(I boldened the parts that will help you go about your breeding in a proper and well informed manner)

Because a friend of mine wanted a Westie, I know that this breed in particular seems to be more susceptible to allergies, bladder cancer, luxating patellas, and eye problems.

http://www.westieclubamerica.com/health/concerns.html

As you can see, there are a wide range of diseases that the Westie, in particular, is prone to. It's up to you the owner to avoid these health maladies. The best way is to screen your dog via blood tests, Optigen ( http://www.optigen.com/), OFA (http://www.offa.org/), PennHip (http://www.pennhip.org/), CERF (http://www.vmdb.org/cerf.html). It should be worthy to note that your dog must be around 2 years to have successfully screened and passed her patellas and hips. So to answer your initial question, you'll have to wait a couple years for those puppies.

If your b*tch passes all these tests, congratulations! You have a very nice healthy foundation for a successful breeding program. Now it's just time to evaluate why you want to breed. In order to "prove" your dog can help improve the breed, you'll need to enter her in either field trials or conformation shows. Or maybe she excells at an entirely different event completely. The point is that she brings something new to the table. She needs physical proof that she can help better the breed, whether it be through her fantastic conformation or her strong work ethic. Being "cute" and "sweet" simply is not enough in this overpopulated world. I truly hope this gave you something to chew on. If you're still interested in breeding, pair up with a REPUTABLE breeder and see if they would like to mentor you. Chances are you'll have to wait a couple months/years to get your hands on a good foundation b*tch, and you'll have to wait even longer to acquire the semen of a good stud dog. For starters, you can attend a local dog show and talk to the Westie breeders or visit: http://www.westieclubamerica.com/teamwestie/rrc.html

Breeding isn't a six-week venture. It's a life-long dedication to the breed.
Yup! Everything is in bold. Please do read it all.
As well, if your family members want a Westie, please advise them that despite their fluffy, white image, they are TERRIERS at heart. They dig. They bark. They fight. And, boy, are they feisty. Terriers (Westies, included) are notorious for starting dog fights. As such, your family and friends need to enroll the Westie puppy in obedience and socialization classes.

If you want help on finding a mentor, just PM me. I and many others on here have the proper resources to point in the right direction. It would be wise, however, to consider spaying your b*tch and apprenticing under another breeder. I sincerely hope you choose this option.

Sevaede
04-19-2006, 09:31 PM
Hey there, I won't bash you, don't worry :) I'm not going to scream SPAY YOUR DOG at you, don't worry. What I will do is try to set you off in the right direction. You obviously have a passion for your dog and puppies alike. That, however, is not reason enough to breed. I don't have the heart to type it all again, but I don't think you *read* my previous post. So here it is again in all its glory :p

(I boldened the parts that will help you go about your breeding in a proper and well informed manner)

Yup! Everything is in bold. Please do read it all.
As well, if your family members want a Westie, please advise them that despite their fluffy, white image, they are TERRIERS at heart. They dig. They bark. They fight. And, boy, are they feisty. Terriers (Westies, included) are notorious for starting dog fights. As such, your family and friends need to enroll the Westie puppy in obedience and socialization classes.

If you want help on finding a mentor, just PM me. I and many others on here have the proper resources to point in the right direction. It would be wise, however, to consider spaying your b*tch and apprenticing under another breeder. I sincerely hope you choose this option.

VERY well put! :)

wolfsoul
04-19-2006, 09:36 PM
Hi there, welcome to PT. :)

I have lots of friend who are breeders, and even my dog will be bred in July. Let me tell you, it's tough. I had to work very hard with my dog and spend alot of money in order to do our sports, but it is important to me that she has titles before and after she is bred. I still work hard with her because she doesn't have a very good ring temperment -- it takes tons of work and socialisation, and TONS of money. I have to travel everywhere, I have to pay for her heath certifications (to make sure she doesn't pass diseases on to her pups), I have to pay for lessons and trials and shows...It'd be a rough life for someone who isn't truly dedicated.

Breeding isn't something you do just because some people want puppies; It's a hobby and a passion. My goal is for my dog to create healthy, well-rounded, well-tempered puppies that will go on to be the best they can be and possibly go on to better the breed, themselves. I have researched and understand the risk factors involved. My dog may need an emergency C-section, and she and/or the puppies could die during the whelping. The puppies could be born prematurely, or Visa may not produce enough milk and we will have to take turns staying up and bottle feeding the puppes. The puppies could be born with defects and they would have to be put to sleep. Because my dog is not spayed, she is at risk for cancer, and pyometra (a life threatening condition where the uterus becomes infected and fills with puss). I also have to deal with her incessant annoying behaviour during her heat -- she bleeds everywhere, she smells TERRIBLE (the discharge from their vulva literally smells up the entire house), she acts freaky and screams, she attracts male dogs into our yard (even our 6 foot fence didn't stop a chow from stopping by last year). She is at greater risk for behavioural problems because she isn't spayed. But I do it all because I have a goal in mind.

If you are truly dedicated to your breed and you are willing to spend the time and money and make lots of sacrifices, then maybe you could be a reputable breeder. First I would recommend talking to a Westie breeder. Hopefully your dog came from a reputable breeder (what was the breeder's kennel name?). The breeder can help you with any problems you encounter along the way, and can take a look at your dog's pedigree and possibly locate a good stud. Keep in mind that a stud dog will usually cost you anywhere from $500 and up. Obviously the breeder will really preach that you do health certifications. Here is a list of Westie health problems (http://www.westieclubamerica.com/health/concerns.html) . At the bottom of the page is OFA's link, it will let you know if there are any OFA/ CERF, etc clinics in your area. You will definatly want to wait until your westie is 2 years of age to breed. OFA won't even certify a dog that is younger than that. The breeder can teach you how to handle your dog in the showring and possibly other sports. If your dog is not show quality, the breeder will probably recommend that you don't breed (as Westies are not often bred only for their working ability these days). The breeder will also not recommend breeding if your dog is unregistered, unpedigreed, not health certified, coming from bad lines, having a bad temperment, having health issues, etc.

Keep all of this is mind -- yes, everyone does start somewhere -- but the responsible people start off by listening to those that are much more experienced than they. I wouldn't be breeding my dog if I didn't have her breeder giving me her first-hand experience.

Hope to see pictures of your dog!

Sudilar
04-20-2006, 08:11 AM

Just want to mention what bladder cancer is like. Sudden heavy bleeding when urinating.....constant urge to urinate.......the diagnostic test......bladder cancer results.............total and complete lack of appetite and water consumption.......vomitting anything given by mouth...........continued symptoms.....no food for two weeks.......pacing.....panting..........inability to sleep........inability to walk more than a few steps........look in her eyes..........growing bladder.....................all options to save her gone..................death by euthanasia. It took all of two weeks.

Another note: pray the pups don't have portosystemic shunts!! That's another tragedy to worry about!

moosmom
04-20-2006, 08:13 AM
Sudilar,

I couldn't have said it better!!

Pawsitive Thinking
04-20-2006, 09:26 AM

Don't get angry because you may not be getting the answers you wanted. On PT we all feel very strongly about the welfare of the animal. If you are serious about breeding your Westie you should take on board all the advice you have been given here. Personally, I think you would be breeding her for all the wrong reasons - if the people you know want a Westie so badly point them in the direction of a Westie rescue centre

BitsyNaceyDog
04-20-2006, 09:37 AM
I really can not stand people who always think the worst of people before knowing any facts. By what you've told us we can assume the facts.
Fact- Your dog is not spayed and you are considering breeding her.
Assumption- Your dog was purchased from a backyard breeder therefore will not meet the standards and should not be breed.

Fact- You are asking how old she should be before she should be breed.
Assumption- You have never breed before and you have no knowledge of how to properly do so. I can also assume you don't know the health risks you will be forcing on your dog.

If you have family members and friends who want a westie they first need to research the breed to be sure it is the breed for them. If they still want a westie after researching them then I'd suggest either finding a westie to rescue from a shelter or finding a reputable breeder. If you need help finding a reputable breeder there are a lot of people here who would be more than happy to help you find one.

This (http://www.adoptarescuepet.org/byb.htm) helps explain how we all feel, it give a good definition of a backyard breeder. Please read it carefully. I pulled a few highlights from the article

Every breed of dog recognized by the AKC has a written standard, a blueprint of what the dog should look like and act like. These standards were written so that all would know what a quality example of the breed is and strive to produce dogs that meet or exceed the standard in health, temperament and appearance. To be sure you are breeding dogs that meet these standards, your dogs must be judged by people who have a lifetime of experience among the breed. Do you know the standard of the Pure Breed Dog? Does your dog meet this standard according to an AKC Judge? If not, your dog is pet quality. A pet is to be loved, cherished, trained, cared for, spoiled and bragged about, but it is NEVER to be bred. No matter how cute or sweet the dog may be, if it is not up to the standard, you have no business breeding it.

-Most purebred dogs are not breeding quality. If you breed your pet quality dog, you are a backyard breeder, whether you breed the dog in your backyard, garage, living room or an expensive hotel room, the term is still backyard breeder.
-If your pet quality dog has AKC papers, that's nice but it doesn't change anything. You still don't have the right to breed it.
-If your pet quality dog cost you $500 be glad you had the money to afford it. You still have no right to breed it.

Backyard breeders will swear all of their pups went to a good home. They believe this but it's not true. Some may have been lucky enough to go to a good home but more than half of them will end up dead, in a shelter, alone, on a cold table with a needle sticking out of their leg. Some of those good homes will get tired of the dog and they will just give it away to anyone who is willing to take it. Some of your beloved dog's children will end up living alone in a backyard, barking all night, cold and neglected until the owner gets complaints and then that pups will be dead. Some will be starved and beaten. Some will be bred until they die from it.

Do you want to be respected? Spay or neuter you pet dog. There's really no other way. The kind of homes you want for your pet pups don't want to buy from you. They are looking for responsible, respected breeders who are doing something for the breed as a whole. Most of those who will come running to buy your pups are the kind of people I wouldn't give a dog I didn't like to. They are the ones who will turn your puppy into a shelter when the novelty wears off. That's a fact.

Cataholic
04-20-2006, 09:55 AM
Someone above stated it - and I wanted to emphasize it- she wasn't getting the answers she 'wanted', so, I doubt she will be back to read all the wonderful responses.

She is young, ignorant, and defensive. She doesn't want education, she wants validation. She didn't get it here. She will move on to others that give her "oooohhh what a great idea...." answers.

Amazing, isn't it, that she purchases a Westie, and, like, all of a sudden, has all these people that want one, too. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

zoomer
04-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Hello and welcome to Pet talk. Please do not breed your dog there are 5000 dogs a second being put to sleep in shelters across the world. You dont want to add to those shelters, do you? Instead, convience people to get dogs from the shelters!

Flatcoatluver
04-20-2006, 02:31 PM
Catholic your are very right!!!

BUT EVEN IF SHE DOESN"T READ THIS,
70 million dogs and cats are born every year
but only 10 million children are born!!!
The numbers don't add up.

Jessika
04-20-2006, 09:36 PM
If your family members want a Westie, perhaps they should look into a Westie Rescue and look to rescue a Westie who NEEDS the help rather than breeding and adding to the population problem?

That would be the best option, in my opinion.

We do NOT think any less of you as a person, as you said you don't know all the facts and just came here for information. But in my honest opinion, you are breeding for all the wrong reasons. As I've already stated, if your family members want a Westie please save a life and rescue instead of breeding.

dab_20
04-21-2006, 07:33 AM
Please don't breed your dog. You will end up regretting it... it's no easy task. Plus by breeding your dog, you have killed a dog in a shelter for every puppy that is born. Be willing to learn the facts.