PDA

View Full Version : Better late than never!!

Logan
04-30-2002, 02:53 PM
I got my sweet postcard from Dallas today!!! Can't read the postmark, but I don't care!! Helen and I enjoyed it, regardless!!

Thanks Karen and Paul, Aly, Reece and Lolly, Sammi, Chuck and Laurie!!!! :D :D :D

Former User
04-30-2002, 04:37 PM
Is this normal US postal service speed? Takes weeks for a card to get to the owner, even inside States? :eek:

AmberLee
04-30-2002, 04:47 PM
For some reason I find that postcards do seem to take forever to get where they are sent. One not-so-funny joke friends and I share is that it takes so much longer than regular mail because everyone at the post office needs to read it... (I think I read somewhere that it is because of the cheaper postage that they travel slower?) :rolleyes: :eek:

Do postcards travel at the same rate as enveloped mail in your country?

Logan
04-30-2002, 06:10 PM
I'm thinking mine might have been mailed a little late??? :o But I don't care. It was so nice to get it, regardless. Usually, Casper and Kitty, it doesn't take quite so long!! Although most of us "cuss" the snail mail, every now and then. Our bills get here quickly, but the fun stuff seems to take a while.. :eek:

Thanks again, folks. It was a pleasant surprise, and will go on the "wall of fame" with all my Pet Talk pictures from Christmas!

Former User
05-01-2002, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by AmberLee
For some reason I find that postcards do seem to take forever to get where they are sent. One not-so-funny joke friends and I share is that it takes so much longer than regular mail because everyone at the post office needs to read it... (I think I read somewhere that it is because of the cheaper postage that they travel slower?) :rolleyes: :eek:

Do postcards travel at the same rate as enveloped mail in your country?

In Finland postcards are on the way normally 2 days, but mostly when you mail them, they are at the receiver on the next day. And the price is the same for a letter and postcard, no difference there.
I've joked too that if my card takes longer to travel, it's because the post office staff indeed needs to read it. Once I even put a sign on the postcard that do not bother to read, it's boring. Needless to say that card get to the receiver in a day :rolleyes:

Former User
05-01-2002, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Logan
Although most of us "cuss" the snail mail, every now and then. Our bills get here quickly, but the fun stuff seems to take a while.. :eek:

Yeah, no kidding, bills sure come with extra speed! I guess that's the same everywhere! :rolleyes:

05-01-2002, 03:09 AM
I do often get mail from friends in the US (we lived in St.Louis for 2 years) . And sometimes our mail even gets lost !!! Well , the other way is not any better !!!! They wrote they have not heard from us in quite a while ; and I know I wrote at least two letters !!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: !!!!!!!!!!!!
Yesterday I found 4 ( yes : FOUR !!!!) postcards from them , all mailed at different places :confused: :confused: !!??
Guess the postoffice waited till they had enough of the re-reading and mailed them a bit late !!!!!
:rolleyes:

sasvermont
05-01-2002, 05:07 AM
Hi Kids: I am not a postal worker although I deal with postal problems nearly every day. I believe the first problem is that most mail is read by an automated optical reader/scanner. Since many post cards contain handwriting, I should think the scanner would have a more difficult time reading the address, if it can read them at all... and the Post office may not bar code the item. Thus making the entire trip manual and subject to every possible human error. Last week it took 7 days for a letter to go from Portland Maine to Burlington Vermont - it usually arrives over night. The bar code on the bottom of the envelope had been incorrected coded and it went on an oddessy - to parts unknown, finally arriving one week later. Go figure.