PDA

View Full Version : Pete's sick again!

Glacier
04-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Most of you know that my Pete has idopathic FLUTD. He had a PU surgery almost 4 years ago. He's sick again! I took a urine sample to the vet this morning. She examined Pete yesterday but he was not cooperative with providing a sample at the clinic. Mainly because he peed all over his carrier when I put him in it!

The sample is full of infection and crystals. If he hadn't had the PU surgery he would have been completely blocked again, probably several days ago! He already eats CD formula food, but for the next two weeks he gets only S/D and only canned. No dry food at all. That should be fun to try and keep him out of the other cats' food. Everyone eats C/D but the vet doesn't think Pete should have any dry food at all right now. He also has to take Baytril for two weeks. Getting that into him should cause some nice new scars on my hands! Does anyone know if Baytril can be crushed and hidden in food?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Cats%202006/petenewbed.jpg
My poor little guy! At least the episodes are getting farther apart. His last flare up was about a year ago. Thank goodness he has had the surgery already. At least when he flares up now, it's not life threatening!

RedHedd
04-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Sorry I can't help as Mishi takes his Baytril and other meds without a problem. It might not taste too good crushed and he might balk even more if you try to sneak it into his food. Perhaps those pill pocket things that others on this board have used with some success? Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Also, not to sound dumb, but I really don't know - What is PU surgery and what is FLUTD?

Cinder & Smoke
04-18-2006, 05:13 PM
He also has to take Baytril for two weeks.
Getting that into him should cause some nice new scars on my hands!

:eek:

Poor Pete! Feel Better Soon, Bub. ;)

As for your scars ... do it the NO-Scar way =
Pill Shooter and a pair of gloves! :p

;)

Glacier
04-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Also, not to sound dumb, but I really don't know - What is PU surgery and what is FLUTD?

PU surgery is basically a kitty sex change. It's done on males who block repeatedly. Pete blocked 5 times in 4 months. The surgery rebuilds their urinary tract, removes the extra kinks in it and essentially their urinary tract becomes that of a female cat.

FLUTD = Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disorder. It's the disease that causes crystals and blockages. Pete has the "idopathic" version as he blocks without an apparent trigger and none of the conventional treatments helped him much. Idopathic is vet-speak for "we don't have a clue why this is happening!"

RedHedd
04-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Thank you; I feel smarter now :)

catmandu
04-18-2006, 07:33 PM
We are praying for Pete to get Better,and be his Old Self Again.
Please get Well Pete.
Please.
The Found Cats,Porchies and Angels LOVE YOU.

rg_girlca
04-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Poor Pete. Prayers on the way that you have a speedy recovery and please take your medicine so you can feel better soon.

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-19-2006, 03:03 AM
Aww, poor Pete..

orangemm
04-19-2006, 04:40 AM
Sweet Pete, I hope you will be feeling much better soon. Poor guy, what a tough break.

You look very fine, sitting in your pretty box!

catnapper
04-19-2006, 06:33 AM
Poor Pete!

I know EXACTLY what you mean about trying to get hom to eat only the SD and nothing else --- good luck with that! :eek: Sounds like my Pouncer is idiopathic too.

As for Baytril, I seem to remember someone saying it has a bitter taste and its best not to crush it up in their food because then they won't eat the food. Of course I could be mixing that up with another antibiotic, so I could be wrong about the bitterness.

If Pete doesn't like the SD, ask the vet about Eukanuba's version, Pouncer LOVED it. I had little to no faith he would even eat it, let alone devoutr it and beg for more! We finished the last round of crystals, and I still had some food left and now its his nightly treat... yes, TREAT! Pouncer LOVES the Eukanuba version of the Hills SD. So if Pete goes on a hunger strike, you might try that.

critter crazy
04-19-2006, 06:35 AM
Poor pete!!!! I hate to any critter sick, it just breaks my heart!! :(

catfamily
04-19-2006, 07:43 AM
My heart goes out to you.Pete sounds like he's in severe pain.I hope something works.My Madeline was so bad that every medication and food did not help her and she was in unreal pain.We had to put her down.I felt sick about it.We think that when she was spaded they cut her bladder or something.But I DID take her for an ultra sound and they found sand and crystals but NOTHING helped her.I knew she was in severe pain.They just kept telling me to feed her the script food and give her meds but they said not to operate.I was so upset.Some vets don't realize that operations are NEEDED!They cannot live in pain like that too long.It's just too much trauma.I wish I went to a 3rd vet but boy she was in bigtime trouble by then.Poor Madeline.
I really hope Pete gets better.My Madeline could Not pee at all!It looks promising for Pete if he can pee.

furrykidsmother
04-19-2006, 08:49 AM
Poor Pete! Catnapper is correct, Baytril has a very bitter taste and would be noticed if you tried to put it in the food. I just finished 20 days of it with Fluffy. Good luck to you and Pete. Pete be a good boy and take your medicine, it will make you feel much better. Be prepared though, it has caused us some very soft stools, waiting to here from the vet what I can do to improve that situation.

Queen of Poop
04-19-2006, 08:58 AM
Prayers for Pete to take his meds and feel much better very soon. Take it easy on Meowmie Pete, she's only trying to help you.

Lizzie
04-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Best wishes to Pete and I hope he gets better very soon. He looks really handsome in his box.

As others have said, Baytril is bitter tasting so the majority of cats will just "cover" their food if you put it in that. I don't think you can get it as a gel to massage into their ear either.

When my cats get really soft stools from a course of antibiotics, I put Metamucil in their wet food and offer yogurt. If you use Metamucil in wet food, add a good splash of warm water first, sprinkle on the M. and mix in well, then you may need to add a little more water. That method seems to mix it in well and prevent it becoming gluey. The only problem with Metamucil is trying to get the fine textured, no flavor variety.

krazyaboutkatz
04-20-2006, 01:20 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that Pete is sick again.:( My Storm has also had the PU surgery and was on the Royal Canin Urinary S/O diet. I stupidly changed his diet to Innova and he got crystals again but luckily no bacteria infection. He's now back on the Royal Canin diet and is doing very well. All of my cats are now eating this and they love it. I feed them both wet and dry. This food prevents both struvite and calcium oxalate crystals and I also think that I read that the canned food helps cats with the idiopathic FLUTD. Here's the link to it Royal Canin Urinary S/O diet (http://www.walthamusa.com/Learning%20Center/SO30.html). I sure hope that Pete will feel better soon.