PDA

View Full Version : We got the results about Jimmy's bladder stones.need some support. Updated 4/20.

My Peanuts
04-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Poor Jimmy again. For those of you that don't know, Jimmy has been through a lot in the few months I've had him. The most recent aliment has been bladder stones and blockages which required emergency surgery.

I didn't take the call and the doctor couldn't call me because he had to perform a surgery. He told my brother to have me call him Thursday. Jimmy's stones were sent away to the University of Michigan (I think) and he has been a case study there for the past month. Jimmy's stones are from a hereditary, very rare, protein problem. He cannot digest a certain protein and now HE CAN'T EAT MEAT! My poor poor boy :( . He’s been through so much and now we have to take away something that makes him happy. No raw hides, treats, or his old food. I have to get his food and treats from the vet now and he has to get his necessary proteins from vegetables now. I feel so bad. I need good vibes, prayers and encouragement. I think if it was one of the other dogs I'd be taking this news better, but my Jimmy has had such a horrible life.

On the other hand, I'm trying to stay positive. Things could have been worse for him, especially if I didn't rescue him.

I’ll know more when I talk to the doctor on Thursday.

Karen
04-18-2006, 03:39 PM
Aww, but just think - he'll be feeling much better now on the no-meat diet, poor guy, and I bet you'll soon find a treat he likes just as much. Some dogs looooooooove, for example, the peanut butter Scooby Snacks (right Sherman?). And as someone with food allergies (which is probably similar to his inability to tolerate certain proteins), tell Jimmy I know what it feels like, and his tummy will feel much, much, much better.

Queen of Poop
04-18-2006, 03:54 PM
Jimmy is very lucky to have someone so caring to look after him. Please give him a big hug and kiss from me. Being on a reistricted diet, if it makes him feel better, isn't such a bad thing.

Roxyluvsme13
04-18-2006, 04:01 PM
Aww, Poor Jimmy. I'm sure he'll find something he LOVES though!

dab_20
04-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Poor Jimmy. At least you know that he'll feel better. You sure are dedicated to him and are such a kind person, he loves you dearly for that. {{HUGS}}

Molli sends many stay-well kisses Jimmy's way. :)

I_luv_rusty
04-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Aww! Poor Jimmy :( Hes been throught so much, he is so strong to go throught this. Sending Prayers Jimmy's Way! :D

gemini9961
04-18-2006, 04:20 PM
Awww poor Jimmy. As bad as news as this might seem, it's not that bad. There are plenty of other treats he can learn to love. :) Cheese might become his new favorite treat. :D

Daisy and Delilah
04-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Every time I read about Jimmy's latest medical problem, I thank God that he is living with the best humans he could ever have in his life. Poor little guy has been through so much. Bless you for being there for him. You're one in a million! Please give him some kisses from us :)

Alysser
04-18-2006, 04:44 PM
He MAY have had a horrible life. But now he doesn't have to worry anymore. Jimmy knows his loving humans will always take care of him from now on, NO MATTER WHAT! Poor Jimmy.:(I hope everything goes well!

lizbud
04-18-2006, 05:25 PM
Poor Jimmy. :( Maybe this will mark the beginning of good health for
him. He sure deserves a break. I do hope the change of food helps him.

Ginger's Mom
04-18-2006, 06:55 PM
Poor Jimmy, and you. I am sure it is tough worry so much about the little guy. I hope this solves the problems for him. And as has already been said, he may find that not only does he feel much better, but he really likes some of the new food/treats he gets to have now.

Riptide
04-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Ohh, I'm so sorry! :( You'll both make it through ok, I'm sure of it. Prayers for you and Jimmy both ^^

buttercup132
04-18-2006, 07:04 PM
Poor Jimmy but I know there tons of meat free foods. Although they arent the same I'm sure they taste good aswell. Get well soon boy and no more getting sick or having problems your mommy and all the Pter's are so greatful your finally getting better. Keep enjoying that road to recovery.

luvofallhorses
04-18-2006, 07:39 PM
I'm so sorry. :( ((hugs))

captain
04-18-2006, 07:44 PM
I am so sorry to hear that ......... {{{hugs to you}}}}

I did a search, and found this SITE (http://www.thepetprofessor.com/homemade%2Dpet%2Dtreats/) that might help you with treats!

You would have to make them, but there are many WITHOUT meat .......

I hope this helps

{{{hugs}}} again
Michelle

Pembroke_Corgi
04-18-2006, 07:51 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Jimmy. :( It will definately be hard changing his diet, but at least there is something that can be done to help him. I think some companies even make vegetarian kibble which are considered to be a suitable subsitute by the certification boards. I really hope he starts feeling much better soon!

anna_66
04-18-2006, 09:13 PM
First off...this is for youhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/anna66/Smileys/bighug.gif

Now, I think since they've found this out that your little guy is going to be on the road to feeling good:) Like others have said, there are plenty of things that hopefully he can eat (like home made treats, I've got a ton of recipes if you want any just pm me).

Ya know, I think all this change is going to be harder on you than him;)

beeniesmom
04-18-2006, 11:04 PM
Oh, I am so sorry about Jimmy.

cyber-sibes
04-18-2006, 11:06 PM
Aw, give Jimmy a pat on the head & a kiss from us. poor guy, but you are making progress - narrowing down what's going on. that's good! I've been following your Jimmy threads, and bless you for rescuing him! I couldn't believe how badly he was treated before you came along. He must feel so much better, just being loved and cared for. He knows you are trying to help him, and you will get through this, too.

zoey
04-19-2006, 12:14 AM
(((((((((((((((((good vibes))))))))))))))))))
Jimmy has a great mom. Thanks for rescuing him and caring so much for him! What about tofu? Is that an option?

king2005
04-19-2006, 12:23 AM
I didn't read all the other posts, so I hope I'm not repeating anything.

What about Tofu? You can buy some that tastes like meat & other things. Its full of veggie proteins & other stuff (or atleast I think it is).

Also there are veggie burgers (but make you own as their might be onion in the premade ones)! Those taste pretty good :) & to a dog I'm sure it'll be a great taste to him!

Pawsitive Thinking
04-19-2006, 06:25 AM
Much better to find out what was wrong with Jimmy. Think of all the fun he's going to have testing non-meat products ;) Feel better soon little man

elizabethann
04-19-2006, 08:02 AM
I'm sorry to hear about Jimmy. He's been through alot (and so have you).

Can Jimmy eat peanut butter or tuna fish? I know Fenway loves that stuff. Perhaps you can give him that and he'll forget all about meat.

Good luck and keep us posted on his condition.

lv4dogs
04-19-2006, 08:42 AM
Oh Diana I'm sorry to hear that. {{hugs}} I know you will both be able to cope with this new transition quite well and I'm sure he'll be finding some new better treats that he will just gobble right up! :D
He sure is a lucky fella to have such a wonderful mommy caring for him. :D

zoomer
04-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Awww poor baby :( ((((((hugs)))))))

My Peanuts
04-19-2006, 11:54 AM
Thank you everyone for all the kind words, they honestly really help. I know many of you asked questions and I'll try to answer them when I call the doctor tomorrow (he's not there today).

For those of you that mentioned Tofu, that's a great idea and I'm going to ask the doc about it.

Captain-That was really nice of you to look up that site. I really appreciate it. I didn't even think about homemade cookies. I've made them before and Jimmy as well as the other dogs love them.

My Peanuts
04-20-2006, 03:07 PM
OK, I just spoke with Jimmy's doctor. Jimmy has Sistine (sp?) crystals and the doctor said he "hasn't seen a dog with them in some time." Not what you want to hear. Something about the way his body metabolizes the amino acids in meat protein. It is hereditary. Jimmy will be eating Royal Canin Vegetarian Formula for the rest of his life, I think. His treats should be meatless, but he can have an occasional rawhide because it's "not a significant source of Amino Acids." I was really worried about the Rawhide, he loves them! So all in all not too bad. I just feel so bad for him. I treat him like a little prince and I like spoiling him because he's had a tough life and he truly is a VERY good boy. He deserves the best and I hate that he has to be restricted. Still, I am very grateful this didn't turn out worse.

Thank you everyone for the ideas, prayers and support. You'll be happy to know Jimmy is starting to get quite wild (which we encourage). He's spunky and seems to understand what toys are. He never had them before and never would touch them. He plays tug of war with Morty and sometimes it makes me so happy I want to cry. He looks very healthy and maybe this new food and restrictions will insure he stays healthy.

BTW, the University they sent the crystals to wasn't Michigan it was Minnesota.