PDA

View Full Version : an introduction of the rescue kitty, George

lv4dogs
04-18-2006, 01:49 PM
I finally have pics of a rescue! Can you believe it. lol Of course this time it's a kitten, much easier to photograph than a feral adult cat. :p

George is about 3.5 weeks of age and a real LOVER!!! I've fallen head over heals for him, as Joe has too. :D
We are not sure if we will be keeping him or not, if not he will go live with my best friend in Ohio next month.

I can not believe how much he has improved in just the 4 days that I have had him. His coat is way softer & smoother, less dandruff and he's put on some weight.
We went to the vets yesterday morning just for a general check up and the vet said he could gain a little more weight but otherwise he's completely healthy.
I was a little nervous as I am not able to quarantine him like I usually do with newbies & fosters/rescues & the like. With the remodeling I'm doing & the fact that Joe's moving in in a couple weeks my house is a mess and I don't have a room I can close off. My cats are not getting close to him yet anyways so I don't think it will be a big problem, at least I hope.

I am pretty darn experienced when it comes to raising kittens as I've raised hundreds over the years but it has been about 2-3 years since I have raised any.

QUESTION:
When I first got him Fri afternoon his stools were small but otherwise looked ok. I brought a fecal to the vets where it came up negative under a smear (better than the fecal floats). He was dewormed anyways.

But I haven't seen him poop since yesterday morning and he's only had 2 bowel movements that I saw since I got him Friday afternoon.
It is possible that he may have pooped under something & not in his box when I wasn't looking but I have a feeling he didn't as I have never seen him wander under or behind anything before and I've also searched everywhere for poop. He's rarely out of my sight, maybe only a few times for a couple seconds each time and he is confined to either the living room & kitchen or a big dog crate. But anything is possible I suppose.
He is acting fine otherwise, urinating ok, eating, drinking, active, alert, everything else is normal.
He does meow constantly when in the litter box but has done so since day one, even was he was having bowel movements. He does not appear to be sensative at all near his rear end.
He is not eating a lot of solid food though, mostly formula and watered down merrick canned food. I do offer him moistened kibble (chicken soup for the kitten lovers soul) and he does knibble on it but he doesn't eat much of that at all.
And I do stimulate the bowels and bladder and he will sometimes let out a little urine but not feces. It almost appears he may not need this step anymore??????
Should I be concerened?

SEMI-UPDATE:
A receptionist finally called back from the vets office as she has spoken to the vet, they want to see the kitten but won't tell me if it's urgent or not.
I am BROKE & already took the cat to the vets yesterday (wasn't concerned then cause it was only one day with no bowel movement at that time and the vet didn't seem to concerned about it either yesterday).
If this is urgent I will get him to the vets no doubt but if it's common I'd rather wait a day or two longer.

UPDATE:
Sorry I was unable to update, I was without a computer but he pooped about an hour after I posted this. :roll:

During that hour I did more research & found that a few websites stated not to worry if they don't pass a stool after every feeding or even every day. After finding that I called back the vets office and actually spoke with the Dr, she said the same thing. She said as long as the kitten is completely healthy & normal besides the fact that she/he's lacking bowel movements & as long as the kitten is getting mostly liquids, she wouldn't be concerened until 2-3 days, possibly 4 if the kitten has been through a lot of change &/or stress &/or if the kitten is under 3 weeks of age and getting completely liquids.

He's continuing to do just great!! :D
__________________________________________________ _______________

On with the pics, which aren't the best, it's hard to get a pic of such a tiny kitten who's either on the move or has his head tilted down. lol
http://nanryk.zoto.com/img/45/1a89a831a59c9084263966598a920b3f-.jpg

I am not strangeling him, I'm actually holding him under his chest but he's so tiny it looks like I've got him by the neck.
http://nanryk.zoto.com/img/45/00b7e451aa6689399b34c85360995fee-.jpg

Doing what he does best, sleeping with humans (hope joe doesn't see this) LOL
http://nanryk.zoto.com/img/45/af3c268ae51fc17cc51d812325a87ac3-.jpg

He has quite a few white outer hairs over the black on his legs, it's oh so cute
http://nanryk.zoto.com/img/45/d70ce2b3a75484685959cd854c8683ee-.jpg

RedHedd
04-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Aww! He's SO cute! His bowels will probably start moving normally again after a few days of TLC. His system is probably in shock from all the changes, including a change in diet to a healthier one. I wouldn't worry about it too much, if all the other tests came back normal.

moosmom
04-18-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm in LOOOOOOOVE!!!!!!! What a sweet little puddy!! I hope you can keep him! If not, send him MY way!!! :p What's one more poop in the box???

catmandu
04-18-2006, 07:23 PM
I think that he wil be Fine as well.
Have you tried the Royal Canin Baby Kitten Food Dry?
Its excellent and usually on Special.
Hes a Doll and will make a Fine Cat One Day.

lute
04-18-2006, 07:24 PM
OMG! i love the white on the nose! sooo cute! :D

lv4dogs
04-19-2006, 08:04 AM
I posted an update on the first thread. He's doing great, he pooped about an hours after I posted this. :rolleyes: lol And everything looked healthy. He's growing on me more & mroe everyday, it's hard to remember how I ever fostered/rescued before & didn't end up keeping every last one of them. ;) He's like velcro, worse than Kaige even. Should of named him Captain Underfoot Jr. or something. lol
Thanks for the ease of mind & the compliments! :D