PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it amazing...

Glacier
04-18-2006, 01:23 AM
how all the cats know a carrier means a trip to the vet?? Pete had to go to the vet this afternoon. I suspect he has another UTI, not uncommon after a PU surgery. I'm still trying to get a urine sample to confirm though.

I took the carrier out of the crawl space and within 30 seconds, it was hard to tell I even own one cat! All eight of them vanished into thin air! Once I had Pete in the carrier, with some minor blood loss on my part, the others came back out! If I ever want a few cat free moments, I'm just going to pull the carrier out!

Killearn Kitties
04-18-2006, 02:29 AM
Cats are mind readers. It is very important not to even think about cat boxes when you need to take someone to the vet, because they know instantly! Try to think of freshly roasted chicken! :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-18-2006, 03:03 AM
It may sound unbelievable, but my cats don't !! How did I do that?
Well, the "cat-o-prison" is always in their "cat-room" (where they sleep), opened. Some even sleep in it sometimes. When I know a vet-visit is due, I put the box in the livingroom a day ahead. No scared faces here :D

orangemm
04-18-2006, 04:29 AM
We -try- to get it out a day or two ahead of time so that they kind of forget about it. Good idea about keeping it out all the time!

Beauty17
04-18-2006, 09:16 AM
My mother leaves hers out all the time with bedding in it so that the cats can go in and hide and feel safe and cozy. That came in handy when she had to move her cats from one house to another when she got married recently (a happy occasion, after five lonely years of widowhood). One cat went easily - she is gregarious and brave. But poor little Magic slunk and hid where no one would even imagine a hiding place existed. Finally, after my mother had given up all hope of ever being able to reach her and get her into the carrier, Magic crept into the carrier for refuge. My mother nudged it closed with her foot, and that was that. One transported cat. Adjustment to the new home is still going on, nine months later, but at least she's there.

Donnaj4962
04-18-2006, 11:19 AM
My girls also enjoy the carrier! They are more curious about it than anything else. They also, have been seen sleeping inside! We have been so fortunate that our visits to the vet have been limited, so maybe they just don't associate it to that. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I just ordered a great new carrier from LTD Commodities. I cannot wait to get it, as it is collapsible (sp?!? :rolleyes: ) and lightweight. One of my co-workers oredered one ON WHEELS for her Mother's cat, as he apparently is a hefty furrbutt and his Meowmie needs to be able to roll him into the vets!

elizabethann
04-18-2006, 11:46 AM
LOL. I leave the kitty carriers in the closet. If I go in there and hit the carriers by mistake or I have to move the carriers (just inches), the cats are gone in a flash...especially Cosmo. I think they can hear the little metal gate clinking or something. Cats are smart.

AbbyMom
04-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Cats are mind readers. It is very important not to even think about cat boxes when you need to take someone to the vet, because they know instantly!

Of course, my girls read my mind when I think about even going to the vet.

But...when I'm at the shelter and a cat has been adopted, almost always they go right into that carrier on their own. Take me home they say! Opening that carrier door for an adopted cat has become my favorite part of volunteering.

RedHedd
04-18-2006, 02:08 PM
I have the Sherpa on wheels for Mishi and I NEED it! Even though he's mostly fur and bones right now - it's a huge 13 lbs. of fur and bones and we're trying to fatten him up. He's easy to put in the carrier as that one's a top-loader.

Mitzi is another story in fact this morning I left her glued inside the bed's boxsprings as she knew she was going to be port-o-prisoned up to the alternate apartment while painters work on my apartment. The painters are working in the living room today while she's locked in the bedroom for the day.

Tomorrow will be another story - I must come up with a plan (evil plot?) so she won't get painted tomorrow as they'll be working on my bedroom.

lvpets2002
04-18-2006, 02:24 PM
:) Oh my girls are just the opposite.. I keep the carriers put up & if someone is to take a vet trip or where ever I get the carrier out the night before & leave in the living room & they all will play in it & sleep in it & then the next day they are like pick me pick me.. I will admitt the carrier will always have a blankie & some toys in it for the trip which makes it more relaxing..

elizabethann
04-18-2006, 02:29 PM
:) Oh my girls are just the opposite.. I keep the carriers put up & if someone is to take a vet trip or where ever I get the carrier out the night before & leave in the living room & they all will play in it & sleep in it & then the next day they are like pick me pick me.. I will admitt the carrier will always have a blankie & some toys in it for the trip which makes it more relaxing..

That just simply amazes me. I leave the carriers out the night before too and I will put toys and a blankie in them, but it does no good. :)

gini
04-18-2006, 02:41 PM
I usually bring the carrier out a day or so before and try to make it look like an end table :D :D - very casually sitting next to a chair.

So getting one of them in it isn't the problem it is the horrific HOWLS AND YOWLS that start up once they are secured in them.

It continues all the the way to the vets - TORTURE IS IMMINANT........

Once I get them to the vets all noises STOP...............and then driving back home is usually just as peaceful. I always laugh at Rascal because once I am home he swaggers out of the carrier in front of Annie and Emma like - "it was nothing girls".............

catnapper
04-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Poor Pete. I hope all is well.

Though in my house, the carrier coming out of storage is cause for celebration. I typically have to evict several cats from the carrier before the right cat crawls in! I can honestly say at least 3 of my fosters were ready, waiting in the carrier when it came time to me take them home!

rg_girlca
04-18-2006, 09:00 PM
Oh My gosh, that is too darn funny. I can just picture all the cats doing a disappearing act. LOL!!!

I have no problem getting mine into the carrier, it's when they are locked in it and taken out to the car, when the havoc and howling starts.

Sevaede
04-19-2006, 12:49 AM
how all the cats know a carrier means a trip to the vet?? Pete had to go to the vet this afternoon. I suspect he has another UTI, not uncommon after a PU surgery. I'm still trying to get a urine sample to confirm though.

I took the carrier out of the crawl space and within 30 seconds, it was hard to tell I even own one cat! All eight of them vanished into thin air! Once I had Pete in the carrier, with some minor blood loss on my part, the others came back out! If I ever want a few cat free moments, I'm just going to pull the carrier out!

I wonder if all kitties are like that? Soni and Isis (and RB Tier) are very calm and willing to go in to their carriers and they know, as well, that's where they are going when they get in one most of the time! Isis hates the vet (well, she dislikes pretty much everyone except her meowmie and she likes her dad at night) but she loves to hang out in her carrier. Soni used to like it up until recently. Here's a word from him, "Screw getting in that thing! Every time I get in it, I go to that place, get poked with sharp things and get something cut off!" (neutering and necrotic tissue)