PDA

View Full Version : kitty electrocuted!

cprince
04-30-2002, 09:53 AM
Help! One of my co-workers' cats was electrocuted this morning when she got her claw stuck in the power cord attached to her heating pad. She is a Scottish Rex and sleeps nightly on this pad.

I told my co-worker that I thought if there were a safer product out there for Zoe (his Rex), that the people at POTD would know. Does anyone know of a heating apparatus that doesn't use electricity?

Thanks, guys!:p

jennifert
04-30-2002, 10:20 AM
Goodness, is the cat ok? I dont' know of any heating devices that don't use electricity. Except maybe those cushions that people use at sporting events...where you rumple them up and they give off heat for a few hours. I dont' know much about them or how long they last or anything.
What is the heat for? Just pleasure? Is is constant heat he is looking for because that would certainly require electricity or some sort of fire.
If he just needs it for short periods,here is an idea that we use at home, actually for my niece's "growing pains."
We roll up a dry bath towel and microwave it for about 30 - 45 seconds and then she wraps it around her knee. It stays warm for quite some time actually.

Hope this helps. And I hope the kitty is ok!

Former User
04-30-2002, 12:46 PM
Oh dear, how is the cat? Hopefully your friend took her to the vet! Keep us posted!

Kater
04-30-2002, 12:52 PM
I have a suggestion though it would not supply the long lasting heat of a electric heating pad. I suggest just sticking a towel in the dryer to warming it up for a few minutes and using that wrapped around the kit!

~Kater

cprince
04-30-2002, 12:58 PM
Zoe's mom was taking her to the vet this morning. I have not heard but she was walking around when my co-worker left home this morning.

Thanks for asking. I'll let you know more as I find out.

AmberLee
04-30-2002, 03:58 PM
There is a product in the pet stores here that's called a heat reflector -- althought I've noticed it I'm not sure quite how it works, or how much it costs ... It looks a little like those metallic looking blankets that they call space blankets? (I feel like I'm babbling -- has anyone else seen these things?)

Another idea.
My cats enjoy my 'corn bag'. It's like a little pillow filled with SEED corn (NOT popcorn) that I heat in the microwave for 5 minutes prior to taking it to bed as a foot warmer. It's rather like a hot water bottle -- stays warm for 6 - 8 hours. They're sold many by charities here at craft fairs, but I imagine you could find them on the internet???

05-01-2002, 06:49 AM
I have such a bag !! It is filled with cherry-stones !! Is really good !!! I bought it at a shop where they sell all kind of reform-articles (nature products !!) . They had it in many different sizes !
Good luck !
Sure hope that cat is fine !!!

Randi
05-01-2002, 07:10 AM
A member of John's family in England had a kind of plastic blanket - a flat darkblue one, which she put in the microwave for a few minutes, we had it under our blankets in our bed one cold winter and it kept warm for quite a long time. I don't know where to get it or what it's called, but I'll ask. :)

cprince
05-01-2002, 09:59 AM
Just spoke with Zoe's dad and she is going to be fine. The vet, however, has put her on a voltage-free diet.

Randi, if you would, please let me know about that blanket and if anyone else can help -- thanks!!

mruffruff
05-02-2002, 01:31 PM
Last fall I was looking for a way to keep the stray cats warm on my front porch. I found a round disk, made for that purpose, at a local pet store. They cost about $20. I put it in the microwave for 4-1/2 min. to heat them. They last up to 12 hours. I put them under a blanket in a heavy cardboard box. The cats loved it! So I tried it for my cold feet in bed. Worked great! The only problem with using them for humans would be that they aren't flexible.

They're called Snuggle Safe. I thought I saw them in a Foster & Smith catalog, but since it's a seasonal item, they've disappeared.

Mary

Lachesis
05-04-2002, 03:31 PM
I wish I could find something like this. What a great idea...

That poor baby... I hope she is ok today...

Cinder & Smoke
05-04-2002, 05:03 PM
Found the "Snuggle Safe in the Drs Foster & Smith on-line catalog...

"Snuggle Safe: in Drs Foster & Smith (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=12&pCatId=1074)

Use "Snuggle Safe" in a search engine and you'll find several other listing - PetsMart has em, too.

cprince
05-06-2002, 08:55 AM
Thanks, everyone! Zoe is doing very well and her dad now has the web address for a Snuggle Safe.

I knew I could count on you guys - - you're the best!!;)

Former User
05-06-2002, 08:58 AM
Good to hear she's okay! Thanx for the update!

05-06-2002, 10:34 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cprince
The vet, however, has put her on a voltage-free diet.

What the heck is a voltage-free diet ??? :confused: :confused:

cprince
05-06-2002, 10:45 AM
Electricity here comes in voltage (volts). That was my attempt to be funny. Guess it doesn't translate very well.

Thanks again for all the help and your concern for Zoe.

05-07-2002, 07:24 AM
:D thanks for the explainung !!! You really got me there ... hahaha LOL

Karen
05-07-2002, 07:38 AM
Voltage-free diet: The vet just means she shouldn't try to electrocute herself any more!