PDA

View Full Version : Star is the smartest little bird!

Alysser
04-17-2006, 06:48 PM
Star, ALMOST opened the door of her cage today! :eek: It's the kind of door that you just pull up. Well, I saw her pulling it up and stopped her! How do I stop her from doing this? I would hate to come home and find her gone.:( Any suggestions?

~Ginny~
04-17-2006, 07:07 PM
My friend's budgie always tries that too, she's hyper at times.. Anyway you could put really strong tape on or get a new cage... I have a few more suggestions, let me know if you want to hear them!

Chilli
04-17-2006, 07:07 PM
Wow, she is quite the little Einstein! :D
I hear of alot of birds learning how to open that kind of cage. Norri's old cage had the same kind of doors, and since I knew Norri wouldn't chew on it, I used a bent paper clip (with the extra/point parts outside of the cage), and it kept it good and secure.
Now his cage has latches on it, so I don't have to worry.
I admit that I'm unsure if that is safe, and now that I think back, I don't think it was very wise of me. :o Though I do know Norri's personality, and he's not one to chew on things and such.
If I was you, I'd wait for someone else's reply, they're more reliable than I am! :D
Good luck. :)

king2005
04-17-2006, 07:12 PM
get a lock that is too heavy for Star to lict.. attach it to the bar that slids up & down & Star will no longer to move it, as its too heavy

Alysser
04-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Thank you all! Norri, is an enstien to! :) I don't want to put tape as Star is a chewer. If I see her trying this agian I'm doing that.

Chilli
04-17-2006, 07:19 PM
I think that the lock-thing is a great idea! :D I wish I would have thought of that instead of the little paperclip stunt I pulled. :o

king2005
04-17-2006, 07:48 PM
I think that the lock-thing is a great idea! :D I wish I would have thought of that instead of the little paperclip stunt I pulled. :o

I'm good at solving annoying pet things hehe

lute
04-17-2006, 08:52 PM
that's cute, but you would hate to have your bird actually get out and get hurt or die. put a lock or tie a twisty tie around it.

Chilli
04-17-2006, 08:53 PM
...put a lock or tie a twisty tie around it.

I heard twisty ties aren't reccomended... I'm unsure why, though.

k9krazee
04-17-2006, 09:06 PM
I heard twisty ties aren't reccomended... I'm unsure why, though.

Hmm...really? Thats what I would've suggested :o

Chilli
04-17-2006, 09:08 PM
Hmm.... maybe I've gotten it confused with something else.....maybe I'm thinking about rat cages... that would make more sense. :o
I'll go try to find out which one it is! :D

king2005
04-17-2006, 09:42 PM
you don't use twist ties as the ends are sharp & will cut a bird open or poke it in the eye. The lock as a weight is impossible for the bird to get out & its harmless to the bird

Chilli
04-17-2006, 09:44 PM
So I didn't have it confused!! :D I couldn't find the thread on a different forum that stated that, so thanks for clearing it up. :)

king2005
04-17-2006, 09:56 PM
I only know twist ties are sharp because I don't know how many of them I have gotten stuck in my hands & feet. So if they can stab me with ease, then they'll have no problem stabbing a poor bird's thin skin. Twist ties are banned from my home.. as having to pull out one with a hooked end out from under my finger nail is PAINFUL!!!

Alysser
04-17-2006, 10:35 PM
I would never use twist ties. Star eats everything or at least chews on it! Her and Sunny ate away at their old wooden letter until it broke! :eek: Star has also eaten metal, broken a bell of her toy, ALMOST ATE THE thingy that makes the bell ring, eats paper, and now its the cage door. She is soooo bad sometimes. :rolleyes:

cali
04-17-2006, 10:56 PM
stick a cloths pin at the top of the door, that way she cant lift it. one of the biggest reasons I chose the cage I did for Taru is that it was the ONLY cage that did not have guillition style doors, the problem is that budgies lift the door, and they get it stuck on their necks.

cali
04-17-2006, 11:04 PM
I made this to show what I mean, the blue are the bars of the cage and the arched rectangle is the door, the pink dot is where your place the cloths pin