PDA

View Full Version : How much do you feed your dog(s)

k9krazee
04-17-2006, 05:01 PM
I'm bored :o And I thought that this would be interesting! :D

So how much do you feed your dog(s), are you trying to get them/do they need to: gain, maintain or lose weight. And probably what you feed because some foods you need more of and others less, etc.

------
Shadow - 1.5 cups - sometimes a bit less (2x a day for a total of 3 cups) - Maintain

Micki - Generous .5 cup (2x a day) -- Needs to lose weight

Mini - Just over .5 cup (2x a day) - Maintain

Jack - Heaping 1 cup (2x a day) - Maintain

Kyra - As much as she'll eat :o -- Should gain!
-----
And we feed Nutro Nat. Choice - Lamb and rice

Your turn :D :rolleyes:

Kfamr
04-17-2006, 05:10 PM
Kiara: 2-3 cups a day (More depending on how active she is that day. Since she and I are lazy today she gets fed less.) - maintain

Nala: 2 1/2 - 3 cups a day. - maintain

Simba: 1 1/2 - 2 cups a day. - lose about 5 lbs.

They get fed 2x's a day which equal the amount given previously.
Their portions consist of:
3/4ths TimberWolf Organics Ocean Blue
&
1/4th Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice Small Bites

On occassion I switch out the Nutro with a sample from the Holistic/Organic dog food store.

dab_20
04-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Molli: Iams- also as much as she'll eat (on average 1 1/4 C)- It'd be nice for her to gain a pound, she's 9 inches tall and only 5 pounds

Sam: Iams puppy food- 1/2 cups a day- He's at a pretty good weight

-They are both fed 2xs a day

IRescue452
04-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Autumn gets a 1.5 a day when I feed her, and about 2 from my mother when I'm gone. I wish she'd lose a few pounds but it won't happen while I'm away at school.

Jessika
04-17-2006, 05:22 PM
Jamie and Charlie each get 2 cups of Nutro NC a day; one in the morning and one at night.

Double-Oh gets 1/4 cup of Natural Balance in the morning and 1/4 at night!

Pembroke_Corgi
04-17-2006, 05:22 PM
Marta gets 1 cup per day, she needs to lose about 1-2 pounds, so I should cut it slightly...

Adele gets 2 cups per day.

Vallis gets almost 1.5 cups per day, he needs to gain a few pounds.

They all eat Canidae.

Tollers-n-Dobes
04-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Edit: June 13th, 2006 (Things have changed since the thread started and I just felt like updating).

Tango is fed Nutro Ultra Adult at the moment, I'd like to switch her to a higher quality food but for now this is atleast better than the Natural Choice for her. The others all eat Nutro Natural Choice Chicken meal, Rice, and Oatmeal formula.

Winston (81lbs): 1 1/4 cups, twice daily. - lose a tiny bit

Morgan (62lbs): 2 1/2 cups, twice daily. - maintain

Tango (35.5lbs): 1 - 1.5 cup/s, twice daily. People say she should eat more, but she won't eat any more than 1.5 cups most days and she's at a perfect weight. - maintain

Tia (7lbs): 1/4 to 1/2 a cup, twice daily. Usually she doesn't even eat all of that, she's not a big eater when it comes to anything. - maintain
-----------

Forgot to add earlier, they also either get cheese, yogurt, egg, meat etc. added to their dinner every night.

Lori Jordan
04-17-2006, 05:27 PM
My guys Lacy and Maggy get 2 cups a day and Molly eats about 4-5 cups a day.

Flatcoatluver
04-17-2006, 05:28 PM
T.j and Zoey both get 2 cups a day. They both need to maintain their weight.

Kfamr
04-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Tia: 1/4 to 1/2 a cup, twice daily. Usually she doesn't even eat all of that, she's not a big eater when it comes to anything.

Speaking of... I can't even remember the last time we saw some pictures of her.... It's time! We need a Winston & Tia picture thread. ;)

Glacier
04-17-2006, 06:00 PM
On average 2 cups once a day when they get kibble and about a pound each of meat when they get that. They usually have bones laying around to chew on at will too.

Heyoka & Kayleigh get about half a cup extra each as they are much bigger. Mac & Ozzy need more food than the others due to the hound mixed into them so they get extra too.

Earle gets one cup of kibble, one cup of green beans or carrots--vet's orders, until he looses some weight. He's substantially overweight due to all his health troubles a couple months ago. Fortunately he thinks green beans are a treat!

Preacher and Sleet get slightly less as they are old and less active. They get a lower calorie kibble too.

Most of them are at a good weight. Earle is the only one who needs to loose any. Preacher probably should, but it's not going to happen. Paxil is a hard keeper. She's a fussy eater and has health issues(recurring cancer) that causes her to loose her appetite. Plus she's prone to pancreatitis so I can't give her fat to help her keep weight on.

poofy
04-17-2006, 06:03 PM
I free feed all my dogs,
Sammyj eats one time in the evening and
Yollie n Bear eat in the moring n evening..

sammy101
04-17-2006, 06:03 PM
Kodie- 4 cups with half a can.
Lucy-2- 2 1/2 cups with half a can.
They're fed once a day,but get a good amount of food during the day. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
04-17-2006, 06:39 PM
Buster- 1/2 cup, in the evening
Charlie- 1/2 cup, in the evening
Bitsy- 1/2 cup, in the evening
Nova- 3/4 cup, in the evening
Nacey- 1 cup, in the evening

Crazy-Cat-Lover
04-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Bailey is currently eating Fromm Puppy Gold...

He get's 2-3 cups, three times a day. So he eats 6-9 cups daily. :p

gemini9961
04-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Grant: 2 - 2 1/2 cups in the evening.

Sadie: 1/2 - 1 cup in the evening.

Maggie: 1/2 cup in the evening.

I sometimes feed them RAW only for their meals. They get a lot of variety and various extras in their kibble such as cheese, treats, eggs, etc.

wolfsoul
04-17-2006, 07:00 PM
I don't measure lol. Just a bowl in the morning, and a bowl at night, more or less depending on where her weight's at.

BCollie_Kelly
04-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Both Riley and Rebel get 2 cups a day. 1 in the morning and 1 at night.

They both eat Canidae

Suki Wingy
04-17-2006, 08:04 PM
about 1 cup twice daily so about 2.5 cups a day

AllAmericanPUP
04-17-2006, 08:13 PM
i'm maintaining all of my dogs weight

Maggie-2 cups
Shadow-2 cups
Barkley-2.5 cups
Sheeba-2 cups
Elijah-3 cups
Ozzy-2 cups

they all eat diamond beef meal and rice

lute
04-17-2006, 08:14 PM
Gracie: 1 1/2 cups 2x a day

Beanie: i just fill his bowl. he eats whenever he wants.

wolf_Q
04-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Nebo gets 2 cups per day--maintain

My mom free feeds Reggie and Sydney, I have no idea how much they eat.

At the moment I don't think any of them need to lose or gain weight they are all fine.

elizabethann
04-17-2006, 08:37 PM
Fenway gets a bowl of soft food morning and night and his bowl is always filled with dry food - he can eat that when he wants. Fenway get fed a lot, but he's very skinny. People always tell me he's skinny and ask if I feed him.

He is very active and I think he has a high matabolism.

:D

kimboe
04-17-2006, 08:59 PM
Camen gets 5 cups a day, And he is on Authority Lamb and Rice.

Tralee
04-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Lady - 43 lbs
1/2 cup am
1/2 cup pm
Toby- 42 lbs
2 cups am
2 cups pm

Plus they both get a half of a glucose pill am and pm

.sarah
04-17-2006, 11:55 PM
I don't measure, but on average ...

Mandy - 1 lb / day, sometimes less. Trying to lose 3 lbs.

Nova - 1 lb / day. Trying to lose 2 lbs to take stress of her joints, she's at a pretty good weight, but I want her to lose some.

Luka - 1 1/2 lbs / day. Maintain.

Buck - 1 - 1 1/2 lbs / day. Growing puppy :)

(They eat raw food.)

cloverfdx
04-18-2006, 07:35 AM
All of our dogs are fed on a BARF diet so i dont exactly know how i will explain this lol.

Clover:Gets either a chicken frame w/ the organs or homemade BARF mince/ vegie/ fish combo (About 2 cups of the combo) or some other sort of fully edible bone. Plus their vitamin supplements which include Flaxseed, Molases, and various vitamins. Clover gets overfed on chicken frame night ;). *Needs to lose a little more then she will be on maintaining condition rations*

Elvis: Same as Clover but about another half cup of the mince combo (So about 2 - 3 cups depending on what his weight is like at the time). *Needs to lose about half a kilo*

Tinny: Same as Elvis but i have to cut her chicken frames in half and she has half for dinner and half for breakfast the next day. She also gets a small ammount of working dog dry food mixed in her dinner on mince combo night. *Maintain*

Penny & Theo:They get about half a cup of raw meet/ steak a day, usually at night. They also get RMBs to munch on during the day, or a chicken leg or wing. And they have access to an organic dry dog food at all times during the day. *Theo maintain* *Penny could do with losing half a kilo*

lvpets2002
04-18-2006, 07:51 AM
:) I have never restricked amount levels for my babies.. They have a big pan that I keep full all day/night & they do very well & dont over eat.. Then of course they get their treats each evening (meaty bones or pig ear each)..

lv4dogs
04-18-2006, 08:50 AM
Nanook, 2-3 cups/day (1-1.5 cups twice daily) Nutro NC Senior, maintain

Raustyk, 3-4 cups/day (1.5-2 cups twice daily) Nutro NC Senior, maintain

Kaige, 2-3ish cups/day 1-1.5 cups twice daily) can contain one or more of the following as sometimes I mix his food (he's pretty picky about dog food & loves variety for some reason) Innova, Innova Evo, Canidae, Merrick, Chicken Soup DLS, Nutro NC. The amount is just averaged for him, he's still growing & due to his pickiness & attention span he sometimes doesn't finish his meals, other times I will add a little more because he's so hungry. Still growing a little bit

I do feed raw sometimes still though, not as often as I like to though. The amount is still about the same as what I listed above.

Forgot to add that the cats are free fed, (always have food in their bowls). They should gain a little bit of weight, they've been so active the last month or so. Their food consits of one or more of the following: Innova feline, Innova Evo feline, Chicken Soup CLS, Felidae.
They also get raw sometimes, when they do it's about half a cup to a cup.

cyber-sibes
04-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Once a day, plus something at night - like peanut butter on bread or biscuits. Once a week they get to split a piece of pepperoni pizza (they're not spoiled, are they? ;) )

Star gets 1 1/2 cups kibble
Sherman gets 2 cups kibble

During the summer they eat less. During the winter, I add fish, chicken & meat scraps, plus switching their food to an active dog formula (with a little extra fat.)

zoomer
04-18-2006, 10:09 AM
Interesting posts, everyone!

------------------
Buddy - 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening
Georgia - 1 1/2 cup in the morning and 1 1/2 cup in the evening
Alaska - 3 cup in the morning and 3 cup in the evening

DogLover9501
04-18-2006, 01:18 PM
Jasper - 2 cups twice a day(4 cups) - Maintain

He eats Fromm Duck & Sweet Potato. He's doing great on it so far :)