PDA

View Full Version : Too thin?

dab_20
04-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Since Sam got his haircut I was wondering if he's too thin. I have been feeding him the same amount since he was like 4 months old. He eats 3/4 C twice a day. (unless my mom feeds him, she gives him more :rolleyes: ) Should I increase how much a feed him?

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22/dab_20/2groom2.jpg

k9krazee
04-17-2006, 04:43 PM
Its hard to tell from the picture but I think he looks fine. You shouldn't really be able to see his ribs (which I can't...), but you should be able to easily feel them...

But people tend to tell me a couple of my dogs are too thin :rolleyes: So, maybe I'm the wrong person to answer, lol.

luvofallhorses
04-17-2006, 04:45 PM
Yeah, it is hard to tell, but he looks fine IMO.

Kfamr
04-17-2006, 04:53 PM
He looks fine.

Ki gets 2-3 cups a day (depending on how active/how much we played that day)
Nala gets 2 1/2 cups a day.
Simba get 1 1/2-2 cups

Plus way too many treats for all three.

The average person thinks Kiara & Nala are too thin but our vet thinks they are perfect condition. I just took some pictures and they even look incredibly skinny.... they are just right IMO and our vet's opinion.

Tralee
04-17-2006, 04:55 PM
He looks fine to me
I prefer my dogs to be thin it is IMO much healthier and better on their joints
Lady gets 1 cup a day
Toby 4 cups a day
Lady 42 lbs
Toby 41 lbs

Jessika
04-17-2006, 05:00 PM
Here's a good guide to go by. I found this on another forum I post on, so I do not take credit for the picture or for finding the picture:

http://www.dont-stay.com/off/proplanc.jpg

Kfamr
04-17-2006, 05:03 PM
I guess according to Purina they are underfed. :p

I believe my vets more than them, though.

k9krazee
04-17-2006, 05:04 PM

Yup, I guess my dogs (well at least Jack and Kyra) are underfed too ;)

dab_20
04-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Thanks very much for the replies. I think I will keep feeding him 1 1/2 cups a day.

Jessika
04-17-2006, 05:22 PM
Just saying, its a basic guideline to follow and go by and a good starting point

dab_20
04-17-2006, 05:25 PM
Just saying, its a basic guideline to follow and go by and a good starting point

huh? lol

Flatcoatluver
04-17-2006, 05:25 PM

I believe my vets more than them, though.
t.j is too thin too I guess, but that's the breed hes, not much of a eater and he's very active. The vet finds him perfect too

Jessika
04-17-2006, 05:27 PM
huh? lol
..the image I posted lol

dab_20
04-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Yeah, it shows my dogs are underfed, too. lol

Tralee
04-17-2006, 09:27 PM
IMO the ideal dog in that picture is over weight

Giselle
04-17-2006, 09:32 PM
I don't really like weight guidelines because they mostly work for field-bred Labradors and Golden Retrievers, LOL. They DON'T work for sighthounds, naturally "bulky" breeds like Bulldogs/Pekingeses, certain show-bred Labradors and similar breeds, etc. The day Giselle has the "ideal body condition" according to the chart is the day my neighbors are going to call Animal Control on me :p

It 100% depends on your breed. There is no universal weight chart because certain breeds like the Greyhound are *supposed* to have 2-3 ribs and about 4-5 backbones clearly visible. Of course, there are some Greys in which you cannot clearly see these bones, but that is the ideal weight. Point being, your dog looks fine. I don't, however, like to judge dogs from the top because that can be a little misleading. If you look at your dog from the side, you should see a well-defined tuck up, no visible ribs, but when you run your hand across his chest, you should feel the slight bumps of his ribs.

dab_20
04-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Ok. Here is the only pic of his side that I've taken since he was groomed. In this pic he looks at the perfect weight.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22/dab_20/sgroom3.jpg

jesse_3
04-17-2006, 09:57 PM
I think that he looks fine! I agree with Giselle, you should feed your dog based upon the breed...

I love Sam! He is just too adorable!:D
Steph, Jes, and Jemi'

king2005
04-18-2006, 12:04 AM
neighbours use to complain that we didn't feed our dog. He was just sooo active that he was very muscular & slim. We offered him 3cups in the summer & he would only eat about 2 cups. Every once in awhile he would ask for more & we gave it to him.. but he was still a very slim dog & he was able to out run younger dogs when he was 9.5 & had a sore back.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
04-18-2006, 12:19 AM
The average person thinks Kiara & Nala are too thin but our vet thinks they are perfect condition. I just took some pictures and they even look incredibly skinny.... they are just right IMO and our vet's opinion.

Bailey looks almost the same, but his waist is a bit bigger. When I take him out, people think he is underfed and I have even been called cruel! I feed him 6-9 cups of food a day, plus reward treats. He is gaining weight in his bones and muscles, but not in his tummy. :p

.sarah
04-18-2006, 12:28 AM
I don't really like weight guidelines because they mostly work for field-bred Labradors
Yep, and my field-bred Labs look just like the "ideal" weight! :)

Sam looks good to me. :)

dab_20
04-18-2006, 07:42 AM
I love Sam! He is just too adorable!:D
Steph, Jes, and Jemi'

Thanks Steph!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I too agree that it's based upon the breed. Like a Staffie would look MUCH different then a gray hound, so you kind of have to go on your own opinion.

pitc9
04-18-2006, 09:27 AM
I think with so many dogs in the world today being overweight we tend to see dogs that are at a perfect weight and think they are skinny becuase we're so used to seeing fat dogs everywhere! :D
How old is Sam?

ParNone
04-18-2006, 10:51 AM
pitc writes:
I think with so many dogs in the world today being overweight we tend to see dogs that are at a perfect weight and think they are skinny becuase we're so used to seeing fat dogs everywhere!

I catch myself doing that, even though I know better. I'd been thinking lately that Gull looks a lil' too thin, but thought Oz looked perfect. They were at the vet yesterday and Gull weighed in around 80 lbs, which is a real good weight for him and Oz at 74 lbs, which is about 4 lbs too heavy.

The images of dogs on Animal Planet starving to death, always get to me, so I know I have a tendency to overcompensate sometimes and then have to reel myself back in, cuz too heavy isn't good either.

Par...

My Peanuts
04-18-2006, 11:27 AM
Don't ask me, I'm the owner of a fat Pug! I've been working on the problem though and I think she's finally losing weight. I'm not sure if Morty put on a few. I thought he did but I think it was just his winter coat. Harley and Jimmy are slim and trim and never gain a pound (accept when we first got them, but they both needed it)

I think your pup looks fine, but the pic is a little dark.

dab_20
04-18-2006, 04:00 PM
I think with so many dogs in the world today being overweight we tend to see dogs that are at a perfect weight and think they are skinny becuase we're so used to seeing fat dogs everywhere! :D
How old is Sam?

I completely agree. My mom keeps feeding Sam too much because she thinks he's too skinny. She won't listen to me. Sam is 9 months old.