PDA

View Full Version : new indoor "pond"

IRescue452
04-17-2006, 03:38 PM
I got a 28 gallon tote for an indoor pond for my comet. I can't wait for it to be cycled. I might be able to put one or two more fish in it. I'm absolutely in love with my grandma's gorgeous comets, she's got 13 in her pond. Hopefully I'll be able to get one of her's. I've so got multiple tank syndrome :D . I've actually developed a small, minute liking to double tail goldie varieties, no bubble fish though. Maybe, just maybe, I'll splurge on an oranda.

chocolatepuppy
04-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Sounds cool! :cool: Question though...why a pond instead of a tank? You have my wheels spinning here as I have a few little comets and have to look to the future. Hmmm, a pond in my basement. ;)

king2005
04-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Sounds cool! :cool: Question though...why a pond instead of a tank? You have my wheels spinning here as I have a few little comets and have to look to the future. Hmmm, a pond in my basement. ;)

Goldfish outgrow tanks so fast its cheaper to just keep getting larger ponds until you have to give the fish away to someone who can keep a large fish.

IRescue452
04-18-2006, 11:34 AM
The general rule I like to stick to for goldfish is 15 gallons per fish no matter what the size. The release over half their weight in ammonia and waste each day so they very quickly make their water toxic (there is a chart I could find later). I could have gotten a 30 gallon tank, but its cheaper to go for the pond. I plan to breed silver/blue comets when I get my own place and will probably have a large kiddie pool for them.

king2005
04-18-2006, 12:29 PM
The general rule I like to stick to for goldfish is 15 gallons per fish no matter what the size. The release over half their weight in ammonia and waste each day so they very quickly make their water toxic (there is a chart I could find later). I could have gotten a 30 gallon tank, but its cheaper to go for the pond. I plan to breed silver/blue comets when I get my own place and will probably have a large kiddie pool for them.

To keep a goldfish they will need a large pond one day, as they will grow well over a foot long & live about 20 years