PDA

View Full Version : DUCK question....

Toby's my baby
04-17-2006, 11:48 AM
I know there are a few of you out there, that also have ducks, so I need some help, because I'm too lazy to google this....

Ok, I'm PRETTY sure that are ducks are mating, but I'm not positive. If they were/ are, how long will it be before she lays eggs? How can I tell if she is going to lay eggs, will I be able to?

The ducks are not in a fenced in area, but they have a huge pond, and are able to walk wherever they want to. They have lived this way thier WHOLE lives, and have never wanderd off. Should I put the female in our barn, just in case she decides to wonder off to lay eggs. Or what if the dogs find the eggs, and eat them or something? If I put her in the barn, should I put the males in there too, or leave them alone, out in the pond? Ugg...so many decisions...thanks everyone!

dab_20
04-17-2006, 11:59 AM
I would put her in the barn if the dogs are going to get into the eggs. They don't mind males around normally. I don't know how long it takes for them to lay eggs, we have so many ducks we don't know whos eggs are whos. We incubate ours, but since you don't have a whole bunch of ducks, I would leave it up to the momma.

The duck may wander into a private spot where she won't get bothered, but she won't wander too far. What breed are the ducks? It's really hard to know, because your situation is very different then mine... good luck!

Toby's my baby
04-17-2006, 01:28 PM
The female is a Swedish duck. The dad (if she is going to lay) is either another Swedish, or a Malard...i hope its a Swedish...

dab_20
04-17-2006, 01:38 PM
The female is a Swedish duck. The dad (if she is going to lay) is either another Swedish, or a Malard...i hope its a Swedish...

Ok, I was going to saw if the mom's a mallard she might lay her eggs farther away. I wish you the best of luck. Having little ducklings around is so fun!

Flatcoatluver
04-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Ok, I was going to saw if the mom's a mallard she might lay her eggs farther away. I wish you the best of luck. Having little ducklings around is so fun!
yep they are fun. But they require a lot more care then adult ducks!!! lol

dab_20
04-17-2006, 03:28 PM
yep they are fun. But they require a lot more care then adult ducks!!! lol

lol true!

Toby's my baby
04-17-2006, 06:39 PM
If I do move them into the barn (where they stay in the winter) do you think it will agitate her, when being in a different place then where she has been, even though she spent like 4 months in there?

dab_20
04-17-2006, 06:44 PM
If I do move them into the barn (where they stay in the winter) do you think it will agitate her, when being in a different place then where she has been, even though she spent like 4 months in there?

It might, it might not. I would start moving some food in there, so she gets used to feeding in there at least.

Toby's my baby
04-17-2006, 06:46 PM
nope. The barn is across the yard (which our yard is like 45 acres across). They could if they wanted to, but they dont....

MAYBE I could get my dad to help me make a little fenced in area, where they already are, so she would be in a 'little' different environment, but not a lot different.

Flatcoatluver
04-17-2006, 07:10 PM
you could, and I don't think that will get her aggressive because she is laying. But if she wasn't laying it would make her aggresive.

dab_20
04-17-2006, 07:45 PM
MAYBE I could get my dad to help me make a little fenced in area, where they already are, so she would be in a 'little' different environment, but not a lot different.

That's a good idea.

Toby's my baby
04-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Just bumping this up to see if anybody knows how long it will take her to lay....??

Flatcoatluver
04-20-2006, 12:22 AM
I was told that females don't lay untill they have a certain about of eggs.

Toby's my baby
04-20-2006, 06:37 PM
I was told that females don't lay untill they have a certain about of eggs.

You mean a certain "amount" of eggs?? Wow, thats weird...I'm so impatient, I know they arent going to be 'born' tomorrow, but it sure feels like its been forever. :p

dab_20
04-20-2006, 07:08 PM
You mean a certain "amount" of eggs?? Wow, thats weird...I'm so impatient, I know they arent going to be 'born' tomorrow, but it sure feels like its been forever. :p

hehe I know your anticipation. But don't get too excited... even though they are breeding, you may not get any ducklings.