PDA

View Full Version : Poor Kitty...

elizabethann
04-17-2006, 11:10 AM
Police: Angry neighbor has cat euthanized

Monday, April 17, 2006; Posted: 9:27 a.m. EDT (13:27 GMT)

WEST ISLIP, New York (AP) -- A man who didn't get along with his neighbor trapped her cat in his back yard and then took it to an animal shelter to be euthanized, police said.

Regina Fagone searched the neighborhood for two days earlier this month after her cat disappeared, and then went to the Town of Islip Animal Shelter.

Employees there broke the news to her: Her cat, a Russian blue, had been euthanized that day.

Richard DeSantis, 56, was arrested Saturday and was charged with criminal mischief, criminal possession of stolen property and making a punishable false written statement, police said. He was issued a desk appearance ticket and will be arraigned June 5.

DeSantis, reached by telephone at his home Sunday, said there are two sides to every story and then hung up.

Police said an investigation found DeSantis had captured the cat and dropped it off at the shelter to be killed.

kuhio98
04-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Even though my neighbor wasn't being malicious, the result was the same. Kuhio was put to sleep at the shelter before we found evidence that she was there (the shelter denied they had her the day before she was put to sleep -- even though my husband searched where he was told to search -- they had her in a secluded room.

Everyone! Please microchip your pets. The chances of being reunited are so much greater if they are chipped. And if your baby ever escapes the house or yard go to every shelter in your area and fill out a lost pet form. Bring photos to leave there. And tear the shelter apart. Look in every room. Cats are sometimes found with dogs. Demand to look in the clinic. That's where Kuhio was being kept. We didn't even know that room existed and were not directed to search that room.

elizabethann
04-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Even though my neighbor wasn't being malicious, the result was the same. Kuhio was put to sleep at the shelter before we found evidence that she was there (the shelter denied they had her the day before she was put to sleep -- even though my husband searched where he was told to search -- they had her in a secluded room.

Everyone! Please microchip your pets. The chances of being reunited are so much greater if they are chipped. And if your baby ever escapes the house or yard go to every shelter in your area and fill out a lost pet form. Bring photos to leave there. And tear the shelter apart. Look in every room. Cats are sometimes found with dogs. Demand to look in the clinic. That's where Kuhio was being kept. We didn't even know that room existed and were not directed to search that room.

That's so sad. Poor Kuhio. RIP Kuhio. You made a very good point about micro-chipping.

moosmom
04-17-2006, 11:49 AM
I IMMEDIATELY thought of Kuhio when I read that story. :( I hope that neighbor gets the book thrown at him. Piece of garbage!!! :mad:

king2005
04-17-2006, 02:11 PM
The chip only works if the vets or shelters even care to check.. I got the chip for Max & look what happened to him! He was brought intot he vet & PTS without my permission!! The distance between the vets office & where I lived was 70-80km!!!

I was scolded by the vets office because I didn't tell them he was chipped! Ya like I'm able to call all the vets in Canada to let them know I chipped my dog :mad:

elizabethann
04-17-2006, 02:15 PM
The chip only works if the vets or shelters even care to check.. I got the chip for Max & look what happened to him! He was brought intot he vet & PTS without my permission!! The distance between the vets office & where I lived was 70-80km!!!

I was scolded by the vets office because I didn't tell them he was chipped! Ya like I'm able to call all the vets in Canada to let them know I chipped my dog :mad:

OMG...that is awful. I'm sorry that happened to you...and poor Max.

king2005
04-17-2006, 02:44 PM
OMG...that is awful. I'm sorry that happened to you...and poor Max.

It was a very dark time for me. Ask the old timers on here (old as in old members), ya I got pretty darn nasty to the point everyone hated me & I had to leave PT for a couple years (tried to come back a few times, but I was still pretty nasty so I had to leave again)... I've been ok for about a good year now (had 2yrs of living hell), I try really hard to behave.

AvaJoy
04-19-2006, 08:23 PM
I read that article in my newspaper the other day. I was saddened AND angry, simultaneously. How awful. No matter what their dispute, to take the life of an animal is reprehensible. :mad:

I believe I read somewhere that microchipping is not yet universal, so a shelter or vet clinic could scan a pet and if their scanning device did not happen to match the manufacturer of the chip imbedded, it would not register. If this is true, some law needs to be passed so that all microchips and scanners can recognize each other and are compatible, or else . . . what is the point???! :confused:

Catty1
04-21-2006, 11:06 AM
At the kennel where I work, we have a "Top Secret Code Word" for owners to use - or to give to caregivers - in order to pick up their cat.

One reason is that there are some purebreds, and on the odd tour we give, people might say "Oh, that looks like my dear old Fluffy," - since we have the cat's names on the windows, anyone could come and steal a cat. Sometimes, we have had to change the name on the glass for safety.

We have had couples bring their cats - and then only one person shows up and says, "Under NO circumstances is that other person allowed to retrieve this cat."

It hasn't happened to us - but we have heard stories about a divorced or separated partner finding out where the ex's cat is being boarded, picking it up, and having it PTS.

It just makes me sick. It's like using helpless kids as weapons. Stupid, stupid, stupid, people.

Catty1

king2005
04-21-2006, 11:15 AM
At the kennel where I work, we have a "Top Secret Code Word" for owners to use - or to give to caregivers - in order to pick up their cat.

One reason is that there are some purebreds, and on the odd tour we give, people might say "Oh, that looks like my dear old Fluffy," - since we have the cat's names on the windows, anyone could come and steal a cat. Sometimes, we have had to change the name on the glass for safety.

We have had couples bring their cats - and then only one person shows up and says, "Under NO circumstances is that other person allowed to retrieve this cat."

It hasn't happened to us - but we have heard stories about a divorced or separated partner finding out where the ex's cat is being boarded, picking it up, and having it PTS.

It just makes me sick. It's like using helpless kids as weapons. Stupid, stupid, stupid, people.

Catty1

damn! I didn't know it was that bad!

Catty1
04-21-2006, 09:00 PM
King - it is not an everyday thing - but we started the code word to weed out the few idiots out there. Even customers who we know and know us cheerfully give the Top Secret Code Word.

I hope more vets than not are aware of how happily their clients are - or are not - attached!

DJFyrewolf36
04-22-2006, 08:44 PM
There would be no end to the wrath I would rain down upon ANYONE who did that to any one of my critters. :mad:

The police would have to be quicker than me is all I'll say.

Alysser
04-23-2006, 08:15 PM
:mad: It's one thing to ruin a persons replacable property but to kill an innocent animal! WHAT AN A$$ UGH! That poor owner. To all the owners whom have lost their pets this way I am so sorry.:(

Coals_Angel
10-30-2006, 03:39 PM
My name is Samantha Fagone and Coal was my cat. i just want to thank you all for supporting us ....I may just be 13 but i know what its like to lose many things. Also in this year i lost my grandpa and my Great uncle so this really means alot to me thank you all