PDA

View Full Version : Why do small dogs get privileges?

Aspen and Misty
04-15-2006, 10:20 PM
My sisters Pomeranian, Honey, came over tonight. She is a very sweet dog expect in a few cases. For instance all the dogs were playing with a tennis ball tonight. Honey would not have the ball but Nova (my Lab mix) was jumping on Konner (my GSD/Golden mix). Honey would then growl VERY meanly and attack Nova. I would then yell "NOVA!" because Nova is our Alpha female and she has been known to attack dogs in her own house before. Since Honey is so small compared to Nova, under no circumstance can Nova attack Honey. So Nova gets yelled at for doing nothing, but do you know what Honey gets for acctually being aggressive? NOTHING. My sister just laughed. and said "Oh honey is a small dog." this to me is no excuss! Honey is also toy aggressive. She will drop the tennis ball just to attack Konner and my sister just says "Oh Honey is a small dog." My sister babies Honey so bad. Like tonight I wanted to put Honey outside for 5 minutes so Nova and Konor could have a break and she was just like "Honey is to small to go outside! Why can't they go outside! It's not fare she will think we are mad at her." and blah blah blah! My dogs spent alot of time outside tonight so my sister could bring honey over. Not only that but this is THERE house, NOT Honey's! I just wish my sister could see how much she babies Honey and how it isn't good for Honey to be babied.

So why are small dog's treated differently? Why can they get away with being aggressive or not being house trained? I have met alot more mean small dogs then large dogs because large dogs can't get away with these things. However a biteing, agressive small dog is OK, cause they are small. I don't understand this. A dog is a dog and they need to learn manners no matter if they are big or small!

Ashley

ps: I know not all small dogs are like this and not all owners are like this. I have met plenty of sweet and loving small dogs and I'm sure every Pet Talk small dog is an example of how a small doggie should be; loving, kind and sweet.

BC_MoM
04-15-2006, 10:24 PM
I know what you mean.. my Uncle has a small dog and when we go for dinners at my Nana's she puts a bowl on the table and fills it with dog-friendly food and let's her eat at the table...

If one of mine even stuck their NOSES on the table they would booted outside.

I don't get it. I think it's unfair.

(No offense to the small dog owners out there)

animal_rescue
04-15-2006, 10:26 PM
I know what you mean. It really pisses me off when Maggie gets in trouble when one of the small dogs gets aggressive with her. My mom will be like but Maggie is bigger and can hurt them. I try to make her realize that we need to stop the bad behavior not try and stop other dogs from attacking for it(because if we stop the behavior then they won't get attacked).

Grr it makes me angry to, sorry I don't know how to get your sister to realize because I'm trying to make my mom realize herself.

Another thing is the little dogs get away with jumping on people and I'm sorry but when I go to give them food and water and their jumping on me, I get mad, now Maggie gets into the habit of jumping on people too which is awful since she's near 100 lbs. No one is allowed to let the little dogs jump on them anymore because I don't want Maggie thinking it's ok.

Alysser
04-15-2006, 10:53 PM
Even though, I myself own a small dog I have to agree. Celeberties and Stars have turned toy dogs into spoiled brats and pampered princesses. and frankly I don't like it. It annoys me greatly when I see Paris Hilton on TV with her pom dressed up in clothes and such. No, I am NOT agianst dogs wearing clothing. BUT NOT ALL THE TIME! I hear she put the poor dog in PJs for bed. Small dogs have gotten the reputation for being "spoiled" or "pampered. For example, Malteses were bred for hunting and were twice the size of modern day malties. Now, they are carried around in purses by a bunch of clear-headed teens who think they are accessories. Zara posted not to long ago of seeing JRT's in a magazine as the lastest accessorie! :mad:

I think just because small dogs are getting the rep for being accessories and being owned by stars doesn't mean they should get the right to be treated differently. Many toy breeds weren't bred for this kind of life that they live now. Their ancestors were proud proud hunters.

jesse_3
04-15-2006, 11:21 PM
That is so true! Small dogs are often more privaleged than big dogs. At this household, the first night Jemi' came home, she bit Jesse, and Jemi' was punished (we tap her nose and tell her no..) We are working on her jumping on other people. She is treated just like Jesse is, and there are no exceptions to any behaviors (biting, growling, etc.)

It really isn't fair to any of the dogs. The big dogs don't understand what is going on when they see a little dog jumping on someone, but they can't. Also, the little dogs might want to actually walk instead of sitting in a purse all day!

Steph, Jes, and Jemi'

Aspen and Misty
04-16-2006, 09:16 AM
Thanks guys! I'm glad I'm not the only one who is bothered by this!

BC_Mom - Now that is just crazy! I can't imagine someone placing a dish on the table for there dogs. It's true, my dogs may not even place there nose on the table! Much less eat off it.

animal_rescue - When I enter a play yard at work I always tell that dogs I have two rules. No Jumping and No Biteing. No matter if they are big or small I hate when dogs jump on me!

Ashley

dab_20
04-16-2006, 09:24 AM
This also bothers me alot. Many small dogs turn out that way. It's the fact that they are small and people think of them as human children or babies. Molli is punished just like any other dog would be... people really ruin their dogs by babying them like that. A dog is a dog no matter if they are 2 pounds or 200.

IRescue452
04-16-2006, 10:36 AM
How true it is. When I dogsit my grandma's dogs we have major training sessions and I make sure they are treated like real dogs, no matter what the size. Helps a little in the long run. When I go visit they always remember to sit and wait rather than jump up on me to be pet.

cloverfdx
04-16-2006, 10:50 AM
So realy what everyone one is "saying" is they have a problem with small dog owners and the way the dog is raised. It always comes back to the people who raise the dog.

We always have people calling our 2 small dogs (JRTx & Chihuahua) ankle biters, giant rats etc, not knowing and caring that they are actually obedience trained, and they do get "Time out" when they think its fine to attack the big dogs for no reason (JRTx vision is starting fail, thats the only time she gets away with it).

It annoys the $#@& out of me when people assume all little dogs are spoilt brats.

dab_20
04-16-2006, 11:00 AM
It annoys the $#@& out of me when people assume all little dogs are spoilt brats.

ME TOO!! Because they aren't if the owner acctually raises them right!

Aspen and Misty
04-16-2006, 11:14 AM

Agreed! We have so many sweet and adorable little dogs who come into my work. You can always tell if the little dog lives in family who spoils it rotten and one that lives with people who acctually try to teach the dog manners. I can't imagine having a dog who bites people just for touching it. No big dog would get away with this, why can little dogs?

LKPike - I was shopping the other day in our mall and a women had a little dog in a purse. I would never be able to bring my big dog in with me so why can she bring her little dog? It just annoys me so much.

Ashley

Roxyluvsme13
04-16-2006, 11:18 AM
Agreed! We have so many sweet and adorable little dogs who come into my work. You can always tell if the little dog lives in family who spoils it rotten and one that lives with people who acctually try to teach the dog manners. I can't imagine having a dog who bites people just for touching it. No big dog would get away with this, why can little dogs?

LKPike - I was shopping the other day in our mall and a women had a little dog in a purse. I would never be able to bring my big dog in with me so why can she bring her little dog? It just annoys me so much.

Ashley
Well, dogs really arent SUPPOSED to be in malls....Whether they be small or large..I think this is totally unfair to big dogs..>.<

animal_rescue
04-16-2006, 11:24 AM
So realy what everyone one is "saying" is they have a problem with small dog owners and the way the dog is raised. It always comes back to the people who raise the dog.

We always have people calling our 2 small dogs (JRTx & Chihuahua) ankle biters, giant rats etc, not knowing and caring that they are actually obedience trained, and they do get "Time out" when they think its fine to attack the big dogs for no reason (JRTx vision is starting fail, thats the only time she gets away with it).

No I own 3 small dogs and yes it does annoy me when people call my Roxie a rat, usually I reply OH I have rats too, they are so cute and total momma's boys, I love them!! But that doesn't mean I think all dogs are spoiled just some of the owners can get annoying with them. I go on a small dog forum and I see all those dogs well trained and all around great dogs.

dab_20
04-16-2006, 11:25 AM

Ashley

Which is very unfair, I agree. But I know why people think that it's because when little dogs bite, apparently they can't do as much damage. But it still hurts... I know when Molli bites, it still breaks the skin.

Aspen and Misty
04-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Which is very unfair, I agree. But I know why people think that it's because when little dogs bite, apparently they can't do as much damage. But it still hurts... I know when Molli bites, it still breaks the skin.

There have been more reported dog bites that have broken the skin from small dogs at my work then large dogs. Doesn't matter if they dog is big or small, there is NO excuses for a biting dog. It also makes the dog unpredictable and un-manageable. One of my worries would be if the house caught on fire. Would a mean, vicious small dog even let a fire fighter near it? Probably not. Or what if the owner has to go out of town? Who wants to care for a small dog that can't even be handled?

Roxyluvsme13 - Exactly my point. Dog's (besides service dogs) are not supposed to be in malls. So why can this lady bring in her small dog? You know if I walked in there with my large dog I would get shown the way out! Totally unfair!!

On a Happier Note - I got the small dog play yard tonight at work. 20 small dogs in one room for 4 hours. It was alot of fun! This was a great group of small dogs who were very loving, loved to be held and loved to play. I really enjoyed myself! It was nice to meet 20 small dogs who were well mannered and well trained!

Ashley

dab_20
04-16-2006, 07:30 PM
There have been more reported dog bites that have broken the skin from small dogs at my work then large dogs. Doesn't matter if they dog is big or small, there is NO excuses for a biting dog. It also makes the dog unpredictable and un-manageable. One of my worries would be if the house caught on fire. Would a mean, vicious small dog even let a fire fighter near it? Probably not. Or what if the owner has to go out of town? Who wants to care for a small dog that can't even be handled?

That's why I said apparently. (I should have said supposedly, lol) I completely agree w/ you.

zoomer
04-16-2006, 07:56 PM
I know exactly what you mean! It is so not fair.