PDA

View Full Version : More Melafix Questions

Roxyluvsme13
04-15-2006, 09:48 AM
Ok, so they didnt have bettafix, so we got Melafix. Read on fish forum... .5Ml per gallon, and on the bottle of course it is referring to 10G aquariums. So do you do a 25% water change like it says or what? I have 3 one gallons, and I'm going to give them all some, but I wanted to make sure on the whole water change. Oh, and if there's anything else to know about Melafix, it would be appreciated! Thanksss!

IRescue452
04-15-2006, 10:00 AM
Sounds good. When you change the water you'll either work the medicine out over time or add a little more if the fish still needs it. Don't worry about 100% water changes while medicating, they'll be ok for a little while with 25% changes. You could always do them twice as often. As said before its best not to go with betta specific meds because they are just regular meds that are diluted.

Roxyluvsme13
04-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Sounds good. When you change the water you'll either work the medicine out over time or add a little more if the fish still needs it. Don't worry about 100% water changes while medicating, they'll be ok for a little while with 25% changes. You could always do them twice as often. As said before its best not to go with betta specific meds because they are just regular meds that are diluted.
Okay! I was just worried that the water would get really gross since they're only in one gallons.

IRescue452
04-15-2006, 10:16 AM
Do you clean the gravel when you do changes?

Roxyluvsme13
04-15-2006, 10:17 AM
Do you clean the gravel when you do changes?
Errr...sorta. I change the gravel, and then let the old gravel sundry.

bckrazy
04-16-2006, 03:03 AM
Honestly, IMHO, frequent water changes, salt and IAL if you can get ahold of it has worked *much* better for me than any medication! With torn fins, I change 1 gals every 3 days (100%) and add a large piece of Indian Almond Leaf and a pinch of salt. Small tears heal within a week, more severe ripping/missing scales (like on your girl) heal completely in less than a month. I've had bad experiences with Melafix, even with a tiny dose! =) but do what works for you. No matter what, the most important issue you deal with is avoiding fin rot on torn fins - fin rot is caused almost solely by dirty water, so keep the water sparkling clean, and salt will help with preventing infections.

Roxyluvsme13
04-16-2006, 07:37 AM
Honestly, IMHO, frequent water changes, salt and IAL if you can get ahold of it has worked *much* better for me than any medication! With torn fins, I change 1 gals every 3 days (100%) and add a large piece of Indian Almond Leaf and a pinch of salt. Small tears heal within a week, more severe ripping/missing scales (like on your girl) heal completely in less than a month. I've had bad experiences with Melafix, even with a tiny dose! =) but do what works for you. No matter what, the most important issue you deal with is avoiding fin rot on torn fins - fin rot is caused almost solely by dirty water, so keep the water sparkling clean, and salt will help with preventing infections.
Okay, so I SHOULD change it more than the bottle says...?