PDA

View Full Version : Getting A Betta - Have Some Questions

BC_MoM
04-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Well, I have some money right now and I'm going to get a Betta.

But I'm stuck between getting a large tank, and a small one. My Grandma had a common male Betta for 4 years and she just had him in a vase with flowers. He was perfectly healthy.

From lurking around in the Betta threads, you guys seem to be against this and say they need actual tanks.

I have a couple questions..

1) What starting supplies (besides the tank and fish) do I need for my Betta?
2) Briana (Roxyluvsme13) was telling me something about floating? What is this?
3) Well.. I just basically need more information on how to get started once I bring him home!

My Peanuts
04-14-2006, 04:40 PM
I have a 5 gallon mini bowl, with under gravel filtration w/ air pump, a small heater (50 watts I believe), thermometer, gravel and decoration in the form of a rock that he can swim in and out of.

I use Doc fishwell's fresh water aquarium salt and a water conditioner. You'll need betta food (small pellets) and they also love frozen blood worms.

That's pretty much the works. You can do it smaller and cheaper, but that's what I have.

Chilli
04-14-2006, 06:14 PM
And about the floating question...
I believe that she means if you get the betta in a plastic-like bag, you let the bag with the betta in it float ontop of the water in the tank before you actually release him, so the temp. in the bag evens out with the temp. in the tank water.
If you get your betta in a cup (like most do), I find it terribly difficult to float a cup. I just let the cup sit in the room where the tank is for a few minutes, so it sorta-becomes room-temp. Then I just dump the whole cup into the tank.
I'm unsure how others do it, though.
Good luck with your new betta!! :D

Roxyluvsme13
04-14-2006, 07:42 PM
I believe that she means if you get the betta in a plastic-like bag, you let the bag with the betta in it float ontop of the water in the tank before you actually release him, so the temp. in the bag evens out with the temp. in the tank water.
If you get your betta in a cup (like most do), I find it terribly difficult to float a cup. I just let the cup sit in the room where the tank is for a few minutes, so it sorta-becomes room-temp. Then I just dump the whole cup into the tank.
I do something along the lines of that :D. I let their tank set, well I try to get the water accurate to the boys, and then..yeah. Dump most of the old water out, and gently let them swim into their tanks. Those critter carrier things work great as tanks. Ariel LOVES hers! :) Good Luck!

Chilli
04-14-2006, 07:49 PM
...gently let them swim into their tanks.

Yeh, I didn't mean I actually dumped them in there! :o I put the cup down into the water and let them swim out. :D Dumping makes it sound a little harsh! ;)

Roxyluvsme13
04-14-2006, 07:54 PM
Yeh, I didn't mean I actually dumped them in there! :o I put the cup down into the water and let them swim out. :D Dumping makes it sound a little harsh! ;)
Didnt think you meant actually dumped lol. I did that to Sebastian by accident :o.

Tralee
04-14-2006, 07:56 PM
For my betta I have a one gallon bowl and some rocks at the bottom. i use store bought fresh water and once a week take the betta out and put him in a cup with some of his water. I dump and rise all the rocks off and wipe the sides, make sure you don't use soap or any chemicals when cleaning. I fill the bowl with room temperature spring water and put in 1/2 tsp water conditionar for good measure. I feed my betta flakes but there is also the pellets. My betta is extremely happy and lively and i don't have any filters or light, pumps, or heaters. I actually lucked out and at a yard sale they had three betta bowls, rocks and plants, and a net for $0.75.

The one thing I would reconmend is using spring water because we have well water and it isn't entirely clean, so the water killed several of my bettas and my brothers.

Jessika
04-14-2006, 08:01 PM
The others have answered your questions pretty well, but I will add that the bigger the tank, the better. I would suggest no less than a 2.5 or 5 gallon tank. The more room they have the more active they will be.

Also try to avoid filters - the water disturbance can stress them out. Though the water disturbance is not as noticable in larger tanks, so if that is the case then you can experiement and observe him a few days just to see.

Also if you DO decide to get a larger tank, bettas DO make wonderful tank mates with other types of fish, contrary to popular belief. They just do not get along with other aggressive type fish, any other bettas, fin-nipping fish, or any colorful fish that could be mistaken as another male betta.

bckrazy
04-15-2006, 02:56 AM
First off, the reason Betta people dislike Betta vases, is the fact that the surface area is covered with roots, and many people neglect feeding the Betta ANYTHING - they let it rely on eating the plant roots. Bettas are carnivores, and only eat plants out of desperation. The plant on the top also blocks the air supply. If the vase is over 1 gallon, is changed weekly, has plenty of surface room and the Betta is fed appropriate food daily, I have no problem with vases! 2.5 or 5 gallon Minibows are really great for starters! They have a great amount of room for the Betta, and they include a filter, light and base... just buy the gravel/marbles/sand (if you want it!), plants and caves, dechlorinator and food. Here's just a basic list of what I recommend for starters. Preferably, you'd be able to buy a Betta from a local breeder (ask Ashley about this) or an aquarium store with healthy Bettas.

*2.5 or 5g Minibow (comes in black, red, purple, teal, or blue)

*Silk plant or low mainanence live plants (such as Java Ferns, Java Moss, or Water Sprite)

*Small terra cotta pot (very small, at any garden store) OR cave/rock/faux driftwood at aquarium store

*Any gravel that you like and fits your color scheme!

*StressCoat OR Amquel & Novaqua

*Hikara Bio-Gold Betta OR Betta Bites

*Hikara/SF Bay/etc frozen Bloodworms and/or Brine Shrimp

*Net (if you plan to use a net)

*Extra meds you might want to have on hand: Bettafix, Maracyn & Maracyn 2, Aquarium Salt (you can add a pinch at each water change)

IRescue452
04-15-2006, 10:26 AM
Be careful with gravel. My friend gave me her tank with shiny coloured gravel. Its made for aquariums but the paint comes off in tiny pieces in the water. I took the gravel out after a week because the fish looked lethargic. They were much better after that. I think I know why her fish were always droopy and lethargic. For somebody who loved her fish she sure wasn't too quick to notice this.

GoldenLuv
04-15-2006, 11:27 AM
is it true that you can only have one betta in a tank cause if you were to have several in a tank they would kill each other

I too have also been thinking about getting some fish

Roxyluvsme13
04-15-2006, 11:32 AM
is it true that you can only have one betta in a tank cause if you were to have several in a tank they would kill each other

Yes. They have ot be separated. Unless you plan on a sorority of females.

IRescue452
04-15-2006, 01:56 PM
Males must be alone, no other males or females. Occasionally, breeders can house two docile males together that have been together since birth. Females can live together, but not with males. Once again you come across the occasional over aggressive female who must be alone.

Jessika
04-15-2006, 04:10 PM

Males can NOT live together, but they can live in unison with other types of fish. It is a rumor that they can not be tanked with any other fish. They do make wonderful tank mates for goldfish, some tetras, danios, etc.

critter crazy
04-15-2006, 04:14 PM

From my understanding with my own fish(no bettas tho) that you are not supposed to put any store bought water into your tank! I have never put any store bought water into my tank, and all of my fish are very healty. Store bought water can have bacteria and disease in it!

IRescue452
04-15-2006, 08:47 PM
What bacteria and disease is in the water is going to come with the fish either way when you put it in the new tank. Thats why you quarentine new fish. I add the store water to my tanks without any problems.

Jessika
04-16-2006, 12:56 AM
From my understanding with my own fish(no bettas tho) that you are not supposed to put any store bought water into your tank! I have never put any store bought water into my tank, and all of my fish are very healty. Store bought water can have bacteria and disease in it!
That's true; its called cross-contamination. Though if a fish is diseased to begin with, it will transfer to the tank regardless.

Tralee
04-16-2006, 06:55 AM
That's true; its called cross-contamination. Though if a fish is diseased to begin with, it will transfer to the tank regardless.

Soo i shouldn't be using store water, i do put the water purifier in it. Our water is well water the has some copper in it that has killed several betta fish. I have had my betta fish two weeks with the store spring water and it is very healthy!

Roxyluvsme13
04-16-2006, 07:42 AM
I use the water from the store, but since the bettas arent from tanks, if they are healthy, that's not really going to affect anything. Plus, there's not much water at all in the cups..so...

Jessika
04-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Soo i shouldn't be using store water, i do put the water purifier in it. Our water is well water the has some copper in it that has killed several betta fish. I have had my betta fish two weeks with the store spring water and it is very healthy!
What I've been told to do while working at PetCo and we got a shipment in, was to strain the fish into a net over a sink, then transferring the fish to the tank ;)

They do have water treatment, so it is safe to use tap water so long as you treat it properly first

Tralee
04-16-2006, 10:03 AM
i used the treatment and my brother and I lost 5 bettas right after another, i fed completely different food from my brother

IRescue452
04-16-2006, 10:27 AM
Copper shouldn't kill the fish, unless it is high enough to be toxic levels, since copper is used as a medication. I'll bet it was something else.