PDA

View Full Version : A couple questions about BC pups..

CaliGirl
04-14-2006, 01:03 PM
Okay, so Cali has been chewing on her tail lately. Not a lot, but just nibbling every now and then you know? Is that a or going to become a problem later on?

And how fast on average do bc puppies grow?

zoomer
04-14-2006, 01:21 PM
Have you checked for fleas in that area? Is the skin in that area inflamed? If they nibbles with her front teeth it is a show of affection.

CaliGirl
04-14-2006, 01:52 PM
Aww she was doing that nibble with her front teeth earlier :)

and yeah, I just checkes and her skin is fine.. it's not dry or anything. :confused:

zoomer
04-14-2006, 01:55 PM
Sounds like she is just showing affection :)

BC_MoM
04-14-2006, 03:48 PM
She could just be itching.. but if she's doing it out of play, don't let her. It can become a serious problem. Some dogs will chew their tails right off! And Border Collies, being as compulsive as some come, would be likely to do that. Redirect her play on a toy if she's playing with her tail.

Once BC pups hit 6 months, they really start to grow.... and FAST. :D

CaliGirl
04-15-2006, 10:20 PM
Alright, thanks!! :)

bckrazy
04-16-2006, 02:30 AM
I wouldn't encourage the chewing behavior in a puppy... you could spritz her tail with bitter apple spray once, and see if that discourages it! She should also have tons of safe chewies to keep her distracted.

As far as Gonzo, he didn't grow too quickly. At about 5-6 months, they hit a gawky leggy stage which is very cute! They're usually (ideally) very lean until 1 year, when they start to fill out. You should keep her nice and lean (you should be able to feel her ribs, not protruding but with a thin fat covering) because slow, steady growth is much more healthy for her! ^^ Also, we definitely need adorable Cali pics!

Lori Jordan
04-16-2006, 09:29 AM
At there age everything is a toy to them,now this happend to my Maggy she chewed the hair off her tail onece,she got into the burrs and i guess i missed one little prick and she ripped her tail appart,im sure it is just the playing thing my hundred pound Newf still chews on her feet,it will pass im sure.