PDA

View Full Version : The Northern Lights

BC_MoM
04-14-2006, 12:15 AM
You should SEE them here tonight! It's absolutely amazing. On my drive home from babysitting, I saw something in the sky and thought it was just a spotlight. When I got home I took the dogs out into the back to do their business and OH MY GOD..

They were BEAUTIFUL! I have NEVER EVER seen them so big and wild in my LIFE! And in the city!!!

They were dancing in circles.. mostly green, but at the bottoms, when they were really dancing, you could see red....

My Dad said he can't remember the last time HE even saw them like that.

It's times like these I wish I could sit out all night and watch them.

I've just added a new goal. Go up North one year to see the Northern Lights. :)

luvofallhorses
04-14-2006, 12:17 AM
how I wish I could see them! The only time I have 'seen' them is on the movie "Balto"..you should take pics next time! :)

kuhio98
04-14-2006, 12:55 AM
You lucky duck! It's 10:00 P.M. here and it's still light out. I wish it would get dark enough so we could see some lights. They usually aren't very bright over Anchorage due to all the light "pollution".

BC_MoM
04-14-2006, 01:01 AM
I know what you mean.. we rarely see them here!

But tonight was just a weird night.. usually you hear all the night critters out in the forest and ditches, but they were silent tonight. It's 8C out (beautiful) with a warm silent southbound wind, a full moon.. stars, and the Northern Lights.

I feel like grabbing a blanket or two and heading into the backyards for the night with the dogs!

I'd be too afraid of a werewolf, though.. :o I love full moons, but my mind plays tricks on me a lot.

catnapper
04-14-2006, 07:48 AM
I know you're just trying to make me jealous! I want to see them soooo bad! Its on my list of things I have to experience in life.

Alysser
04-14-2006, 07:51 AM
I never saw them in my life. But of course I would love to! Your so lucky Jess. :)

pitc9
04-14-2006, 08:16 AM
I hope one day in my life I get to see the northern lights.
You are SO lucky!! :D

Ginger's Mom
04-14-2006, 08:22 AM
Yep, I am also very jealous. What a wonderful thing for you to experience. I just may have to come up and visit you.

trayi52
04-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Sounds absolutely beautiful! Wish I could see them. Maybe someday!

You should post some pictures, so we can all see them.

Willie :)

elizabethann
04-14-2006, 09:00 AM
Can you take pictures?

BC_MoM
04-14-2006, 11:03 AM
If they're back tonight, I'll try and get some. :)

lvpets2002
04-14-2006, 11:37 AM
:) Well now I want to see them.. It sounds so pretty & neat.. Pictures on if they return please..

king2005
04-14-2006, 11:41 AM
I've never seen them *pouts* I think I live too far south to see them *kicks toronto*

kimboe
04-14-2006, 06:03 PM
Wow, It amazing to realize how such an everyday thing to see can be somethimg most people never have seen. I seen them all the time where i grew up. Here in the city I don't see them too often. But everytime I go back home, Love watching them dance.
I kinda miss seeing them, they are so pretty to look at :)

Glacier
04-14-2006, 07:07 PM
They are spectacular aren't they? A couple years ago, we had a spell where they were flaming red. It was amazing! We see them frequently here--not today cuz it's snowing like crazy!

They are difficult to photograph. You need a tripod or something to stabilize your camera and a long exposure time.

There's a musher's legend that when a sled dog dies it gets a silver harness on the other side. The Northern Lights are a reflection off those harnessess when the Bridge sled team is running. Every time I see them I stop and talk to my Hoodoo who is part of that team now.

BC_MoM
04-14-2006, 08:25 PM
There's a musher's legend that when a sled dog dies it gets a silver harness on the other side. The Northern Lights are a reflection off those harnessess when the Bridge sled team is running. Every time I see them I stop and talk to my Hoodoo who is part of that team now.

That's beautiful.. I love that. :)

Jessika
04-14-2006, 08:45 PM
I am so jealous.

WHY DID YOU NOT GET PICTURES?

Vette
04-14-2006, 08:47 PM
I never saw them in my life. But of course I would love to! Your so lucky Jess. :)

Ditto!!