PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm getting a puppy!

AdoreMyDogs
04-13-2006, 09:50 PM
I've never raised a puppy. Graham was 9-10 months old when I adoped him and Kersey was also 9-10 months old when I adoped her. The time has come for a puppy :) I've had puppy feaver something terrible. It's probablly due to the fact that we've been trying to have a baby since July '05 and have been unsucessful. Graham is 12 years old and really starting to show his age. Kersey is still very much a puppy, with the boundless energy of a puppy and the never-ending stamina of a young'in. For Kersey's sake (she worships Graham) and for Graham's sake (he could use some more excitement in his old age) a puppy should be the right medicine.

I have always been torn between Goldens and GSD's....going back and fourth between them. I actually really wanted one of SunKissed Goldens (Kara's) and we talked about it, my husband and I, and finally decided on a GSD when we found a good breeder who's actually local. Her GSD's are just what we're looking for in a GSD, and she's very reasonablly priced, too. Her dogs are from German bloodlines, have the straight backs (not sloped, which I'm just not fond of) and her GSD's run on the large side, with dad being 110 lbs and mom being 90 lbs. She breeds for temperment, intelligence and health and has a real nice written guarantee. Her dogs are not only friendly, but very intelligent....just what we're looking for :)

I've always done rescue. I wanted a puppy, and wanted one who came from good bloodlines and also came with a health/temperment guarantee. Being that we're trying to have a baby, we want an excellent family dog, and I might also want to compete in tracking/AKC obedience.

We look at the puppies on Wednesday :) I'm so excited. The breeder is about 1.5 hours away. If we pick one out on Wednesday, we won't be bringing him/her home for another week or two. We're getting our hardwood floors done starting this Monday, and I want to give the floors time to cure and harden before we bring home our bundle of fluff.

I'll bring the camera :)

Karen
04-13-2006, 10:09 PM
Wow! Big, exciting news! Congratu-almost-lations!

*LabLoverKEB*
04-13-2006, 10:09 PM
*screeches* I'm soooo excited for you! OMGosh! You are so lucky!! We are getting a Golden Retriever female pup in May. I'm absolutely thrilled! Good luck to you, and can't wait to see pics! Give Kersey and Graham a big his for me! :) :)

sammy101
04-13-2006, 10:47 PM
good luck! :D Cant wait for pictures!

bckrazy
04-14-2006, 12:42 AM
:D How exciting! I'm absolutely supportive of your choice of a German-bred GSD, great decision there. I've seen sooo many GSD's in rescue with such severely sloped toplines/hocks that they are nearly crippled, it's really disgusting what some breeders will put dogs through for conformation trends. I love German type GSD's, I can't wait to see your little baby! ^^ Good luck with everything, I hope it all goes smoothly.

Also, I don't think I've met you or your pups! I'm Erica, my boy is Gonzo, a Border Collie. I was *so* close to getting a German-bred GSD puppy, like days away, when I found out that Gonzo needed a home and fell in love with him. GSD's are great dogs, for sure! I'll be getting a Cardigan Welsh Corgi pup in May, so our pups can grow up (on PT ;)) together.

BC_MoM
04-14-2006, 12:50 AM
I can't wait to hear more!! :D I'm so happy for you. Molly was my first puppy, and I'm going to admit.. a bit more complicated than I expected owning and raising a puppy was going to be like!

cloverfdx
04-14-2006, 01:11 AM
Oh my gosh congratulations & goodluck with the visit :D. And by the way could i please request some new photos of Graham and Kersey ;) *Begs*, i miss those 2 gorgeous dogs.

Alysser
04-14-2006, 07:39 AM
Congratulations! GSD are beautiful beautiful dogs. I can't wait to see pics. :D

Ginger's Mom
04-14-2006, 08:07 AM
Ooooo, Congratulations!!! :D I am so excited for you. I can't wait to see the puppy pictures. :)

Lori Jordan
04-14-2006, 08:35 AM
That is great news always nice having little babies running around!

AdoreMyDogs
04-14-2006, 08:46 AM
Oh my gosh congratulations & goodluck with the visit :D. And by the way could i please request some new photos of Graham and Kersey ;) *Begs*, i miss those 2 gorgeous dogs.

Hehe, ok, but my camera is complete trash now. It's getting worse and worse as it gets older. It's about 6 years old now, and it was cheap to begin with, so it's next to worthless now. These pictures were taken by my friend who was staying with my pets after we left for our honeymoon. Her camera is about a hundred times better then mine :) Lets see if I remember how to do this:
Kersey & Graham
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid204/pf6a1e11af3d0844c8ef97ce893763e7a/ef72599a.jpg

Graham the old man:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid204/p5a88ac372c25faeeb5a800ca57c46274/ef72599b.jpg

Kersey the goofy:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid204/p034680dfaaae5962b29da0b9e3898ed3/ef72599c.jpg

AdoreMyDogs
04-14-2006, 09:15 AM
:D How exciting! I'm absolutely supportive of your choice of a German-bred GSD, great decision there. I've seen sooo many GSD's in rescue with such severely sloped toplines/hocks that they are nearly crippled, it's really disgusting what some breeders will put dogs through for conformation trends. I love German type GSD's, I can't wait to see your little baby! ^^ Good luck with everything, I hope it all goes smoothly.

Also, I don't think I've met you or your pups! I'm Erica, my boy is Gonzo, a Border Collie. I was *so* close to getting a German-bred GSD puppy, like days away, when I found out that Gonzo needed a home and fell in love with him. GSD's are great dogs, for sure! I'll be getting a Cardigan Welsh Corgi pup in May, so our pups can grow up (on PT ;)) together.

Thanks, and nice to meet you, Erica. I have been away from PT for a while, but I have been a member for quite some time. I stopped coming around back a couple years ago, but stop by every so often. My name is Leslie, It's very nice to meet you :)

I agree with you on the sloped backs. It really looks unhealthy as well as uncomfortable to have the trememdous slope. I don't understand it. A strong working and herding breed, yet they breed for such a slant that it pretty much disables them from doing the things they were bred to do.

My husband asked me what happens if we fall in love and HAVE to have our puppy immediately...well, we'll have to sleep in tent with the puppy for the first few nights, as we are camping out in our backyard while our wood floors are being done. They are doing the entire house except the kitchen and the 1/2 bath, so we are stuck outside, with the only access in the house will be in the kitchen where we can eat and stuff.

I worry about Graham and Kersey, how they will handle it. I love them so much and I don't want them thinking I'm trying to replace them. I know when I got Kersey, Graham was extremely heartbroken. He got along with her great, and vice versa, but he still felt bad until he got used to her. He was depressed. I'm really afraid of how Kersey will handle it because she's such a love-sponge ball of sappy love. She truly thinks that her purpose in live is to love on as many people as possible, and sit on as many laps as possible (she's 75 lbs of love). She will take a huge hit by this new bundle coming into her life. I guess I'll just have to work threw it. I made sure that I have "talked" with both dogs and let them know that a puppy will be coming home soon, so they are not overly surprised. I have the new puppy jitters! I really want one but I'm worried...I've never raised a puppy before, nor have I had to housetrain. It will all be new, although I know what to do :)

As for Kersey, I had my heart set on a golden when I got Kersey. I had all but placed a down payment on a puppy from a great breeder I knew when I lived in MI. I had gone to PetsMart with Graham to buy some dog shampoo and they had the Pet Adoption Day that day...I had no idea, I just went to run some errands. I saw Kersey, in an open crate with her young foster kids in the crate with her pulling slimy rawhides out of her mouth and putting them back in. She was being the most patient girl with these little kids and I was immediately impressed. Not only did her appearance attract me, but her temperment with those children was amazing...just what I was looking for in a dog. I adopted her and now I'm very close friends with her foster mom, the lady who saved and fostered Kersey for a month before I found her. So I never did get my golden pup, but I love Kersey more then anything. She's my best girlfriend.

Cincy'sMom
04-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Congratulations Leslie!! I hope you find the perfect pup!!!

Bringing Cincy home has a puppy, was very hard on Sadie at first. That first night and I cried, sure we had made a huge mistake, because Sadie wanted nothing to do with her little sis. It only took about 2 days for that to change, and they have been inseparable for 4 1/2 years!! Be patient, and I'm sure it will be terrific!!

So great to see Graham and Kersey again!! They are both looking happy as always!!!

AdoreMyDogs
04-16-2006, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the well-wishes, those of you who responded. I will be shutting down my pc tonight as we have to rip the carpet out of the office yet, so I'll post info when I get home from meeting the pups on Wednesday. I sure hope I like her dogs as much as I think I'll like them.

Rachel
04-16-2006, 09:06 AM
Oh, Leslie, thank you for sharing this exciting news with us. And thank you too for the pictures of Kersey and Graham. Of course you know there is a special place in my heart (and in Hannah's and Tucker's too) for Graham. It makes me sad to see the white on his muzzle and realize that he is really getting older and all that does imply. I really love that guy. As long as Graham and Kersey have the time and attention they need, I think a puppy will be an added light in both their lives.

Congratulations on your marriage :D and... the hardwood floors. Please plant a big kiss on Graham for us.

Sudilar
04-16-2006, 11:45 AM
Oh Leslie, I am so glad I caught your post today!!!! Congratulations on your future GSD!!!!! You will love him or her!!!
Killi was American GSD with a slope, but he moved oh so elegantly. It was a pleasure to watch him run!
Shiloh was German lines. She did not run gracefully, but could fly like the wind!!
Thor, my foster, is actually my very first "confirmation sized" GSD. He is only 75 lbs. !!! (All my others were in the 100+ range.) He is of German lines and very well built, muscular, powerful.
Can't wait for pictures and the saga of Graham, Kelsey and the new pup!!!
Hugs!!!!