PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Get Your Cat To Go To The Cat Carrier?

Former User
04-29-2002, 10:16 AM
First of all, I'd like to thank Randi for giving me the idea for this thread, so Thank You Randi!

Randi, I hope you will tell your way to get Fister on the carrier here too, I read it on another post, and thought it was brilliant! So, please share it here too!

What comes to Casper and Kitty, we lift the carrier out about 10 minutes before we have to go, they usually go and sniff what's in there, and we can lock one of them there. Then it's just easy to pick the other one, since they don't really combine the idea that going in the carrier means going to the vet. And the cat carrier is out here everyday, they can be there anytime they want to, so I guess they don't think it as something to be afraid of. But I'm sure the time will come when they realise that cat carrier = vet visits. :D

Randi
04-29-2002, 10:43 AM
Thanks Niina! John just said an hour ago. Make a thread about getting cats into a carrier. Well, I thought that it had been done quite a few times already, so ....

Anyway, the very first time Fister had to go in the box was in dec. 1998. We were going to Dom. Rep. for 2 weeks and he was going to a cat pension in the country. We had checked the place out beforehand - it was a farm owned by a woman vet - beautiful place. He had a huge cage and he could walk in and out as he pleased. Great, apart from it was more than an hours drive away and the day we took him there, a storm broke out.

At the time it was even harder to get to lift him than it is now, but John managed with a few scratches.

Since then, we've realized, that if we wanted to make sure he got in the box without too much hazzle, we've had to drug him. We've tried Diazepam, which relaxes him quite well and we've tried Plegicil, which has quite an effect within half an hour. The only problem is to make him eat food with that in (he can smell or taste it) But, we've found that a half of those is enough.

The last couple of times, we have done it this way:
Hours before we have to get Fister in the box we are nervous wrecks - it's always a drama. But, we've found a cunning plan - John goes down to the cellar and get the box while Fister relax as usual. As soon as he become aware of the danger, he immediately rushes under the bed. Then I take the hoover out and start in the bedroom. Fister runs out into the kitchen where John is waiting with the box!! A little easier!

Good luck to everyone who has to do it!

:D

Edwina's Secretary
04-29-2002, 10:57 AM
Oh, oh....Randi! First using the vacuum/hoover to get poor Fister into his carrier and now the picture of a cat pension in the country. I'm picturing a lake with the fjords in the background, green meadows filled with wild flowers, and all these cats in long dresses with cinched waists and top hats and walking sticks -- all strolling about. Too many Merchant/Ivory movies!

Getting Edwina in her carrier requires the element of surprise. Bring it out from the basement, set it on end and at the same time pick her and feet first she goes into the carrier. No time for discussion or histrionics.

We let her out in the car on the way home. It stops the "cat in heat" howling.

Fuzzy317
04-29-2002, 11:26 AM
For the cats, we use a carrier with a front door and a door on the top. Some cats, we simply gently push in the front, but some cats we use the top door to pick them up and set them in.

momoffuzzyfaces
04-29-2002, 12:23 PM
I have trouble getting them OUT of the carrier. They like to sleep in it so when I need to borrow it they get crankie. When we get to the vets, they get scared and don't want to come out either. Leonardo spreads his hind feet out and hangs on the the inside by his toes. We've had to take the carrier apart to get him out. Luckily, it's made to come apart easily.:eek:

Randi
04-29-2002, 02:37 PM
Well, we use a box where he has to go in from the top - the vet recommended that! Before we got that one, I had bought one where he went in from the front - like Casper & Kitty's I think, but John thought I was being very naive thinking he would stay in that, so we actually never used it for transport. I had put it in the corridor with a blanket in, and Fister went in and made himself comfortable. Now, since we've transported Fister several times, I believe he probably would have torn it apart before the first traffic sign!

The first pension he went to was a real pretty place, I have found a link to it, so you can what it looks like: Hope this works!

Fister's first catpension (http://www.lundegaarden.dk/page2.html)

I'm aware that you can't read the text, but it's very spacious with a good view to ducks, goats, horses and other animals - and best of all, the owner is a vet!

There's a another place, we would like to use next time, but unfortunately, that's also 1 and 1/2 hour away. That's really a 5* with heated floors, classical music and - you name it!

Exclusive catpension
(http://www.kameludl.dk/page2.html)

If you click on the bottom link, you'll see pictures from this place.

Edwina's secretary! I fully agree! The best way to handle it, is speed and surprize!!

Former User
04-29-2002, 02:41 PM
Believe it or not, but with my little language skills, I managed to understand quite a lot... and this picture of the place (the more expencive one) is brilliant! Looks so nice over there!

http://www.kameludl.dk/img20.gif

Former User
04-29-2002, 02:44 PM
Here's a pic of our carrier (well sort of), it's open from the front and from the top, very easy and handy!

http://home.pi.be/paddy/kittiecats/pictures/.jpg

Randi
04-29-2002, 03:27 PM
Oh, Niina! They're SO CUTE!!! :) How I would love to hug them! ;)

Yes, the box looks the one I first bought - expensive enough I think, but it wouldn't hold Fister! :D

I found the picture, let's see if this works:

http://www.netSnapShot.com/users/6765/images/hth_PM2sB8CoBQIAAFLRdUY_6765_20.jpeg

AmberLee
04-29-2002, 03:34 PM
I keep the carriers out and open (cat caves) most of the time. Livvy is more apt to use them as retreats than Cassy. Note: I believe she uses them as a retreat FROM Cassy when he's off-the-wall weird, but it's hard to tell with cats...

The tilting it to "face the ceiling" and lowering cat into it is about the only method I've been able to use in quite a while. The 'special treat in the carrier' trick only worked when they were very little kittens.

:o :rolleyes: We occasionally go 'outies' to drive-throughs and get bacon or a plain shreaded beef sandwich (spoiled fur-kids? no!....) which makes the carrier a LITTLE less obnoxious.

Ejecting the kids at the vets is a struggle and I've had cause to bless that the carriers disassemble.

Randi
04-29-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by AmberLee
The tilting it to "face the ceiling" and lowering cat into it is about the only method I've been able to use in quite a while. The 'special treat in the carrier' trick only worked when they were very little kittens.
Ejecting the kids at the vets is a struggle and I've had cause to bless that the carriers disassemble.
LOL! LOL! I bet you're getting used to it! :D

Pam
04-29-2002, 04:26 PM
Our latest method is to pick the cats up one-at-a-time and carry them into the bathroom where the carriers are hiding. :D This is a good room to catch them in because there's nowhere to hide. Once we have one of our 'victims' we do what AmberLee does...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AmberLee
[B]The tilting it to "face the ceiling" and lowering cat into it is about the only method I've been able to use in quite a while.
:o :rolleyes:

The vet had mentioned that some people have reported to him that they use a pillowcase. First kitty goes into the pillowcase and then it is lowered through the up-ended carrier. We haven't had to use that yet fortunately and it does sound like it might be a little traumatic for them.

Once at the vet's they don't want to come out. If we can't successfully 'dump' them onto the table we just take the lid off.

Pam
04-29-2002, 09:51 PM
I posted this once before, but I think it fits in perfectly with this topic! LOL! :D

AmberLee
04-29-2002, 11:12 PM
:eek: :D ;)

Nomilynn
04-30-2002, 12:18 AM
I guess I'm lucky, because both Bassett and Tilly like to go in the carrier. As soon as I open it, they walk right in. Bassett has travelled in the car from a very young age, and I'm trying to get Tilly used to it too because I drive down to Oregon in the Summers. While in the car, I just let them roam around. Bassett usually sleeps in it anyway. However, at the vet, they both have to be dumped out onto the table :rolleyes:

04-30-2002, 02:33 AM
Sydney has never done difficult if we wanted him into that carrier . We let him play with it first , so he sees it as a normal thing !

BUT !!! Last week he had to go in every day to get his daily shot of antibiotics .... . I can tell you now : his attitude to that "cage" has changed !!!! He freakes out now as soon as he spots the darn thing !!! During his last visit at the vet , he refused to get out ; so I had to take the whole box apart !!! I defenitely need another box : larger and with a top opening !!!!:rolleyes:

Former User
04-30-2002, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by lut
larger and with a top opening !!!!

Yeah, that's a good idea. We have the top open too, and without that, I don't think we would get C & K out from there in the vets. Now it is pretty easy just to lift them from the top :D

Lachesis
04-30-2002, 01:48 PM
we've only gone to the vet once but all 3 did very well... we leave both carriers out and they love to nap in them... they think nothing of it when we took them for a ride. I was sure they'd spaz out....

I was petting them and Pepper managed to sneak out while poor dh was driving down the road... at first it was no big deal but then she wanted her paws on the stearing wheel (by the time Milo got out :rolleyes: and Max was trying).
Amazing enough Milo and Pepper were fine. They were mad when we put them back in but didnt fight it at all...

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-30-2002, 05:01 PM
Here's a copy of how I get Peanut into the carrier (from Edwina's Traumatic Time originally)

"Peanut is usually so scared at the vet that she just sits there and lets them do what they need to do. Tubby isn't necessarily scared - I think he just wants to do his own thing and check the place out - but he does put up a fuss when the vet does things that Tubby doesn't like, but is generally pretty good. I just take him on his leash, but I put Peanut in the carrier to make her feel safer, like she's got a place to hide. My trick to getting her in is hours before she needs to go in (the day before if the appointment is early in the morning) I'll bring the carrier up from the basement and just set it out. That way she has plenty of time to check it out, and is generally over the trauma of the carrier before it's time to put her in it. Then (bad mommy) I trick her by giving her a treat, then picking her up and giving her smoochies, as I'm approaching the carrier without her knowing. The only way I can get her in is back end first, so as I'm smooching on her, I'm slowly repositioning her so I can hold her back feet and just slide her in. Before she knows it she's in and the door is closed and she's wondering what happened! And she's also realizing trauma time is here. Not just the vet, but the carrier, the car, the entire experience doesn't thrill her. But once we get home I open the carrier, she comes flying out (because she knows we're home), goes to her usual spot and starts cleaning herself as if she has to get all those stinky vet smells off, then 15 minutes or so later, she's on the chair fast asleep. "

wayne0214
05-01-2002, 07:46 PM
Although I purchased a pet carrier at the pet store, I found that the door is somewhat weak and flimsy. After placing a couple of my furkids in it, they found a way to tear off the door and get out. Ttherefore, I have made 2 pet carriers, out of wood and screen. There is no way they can get out of these home-made ones. Generally all that is necessry is to open the lid and place my cat in it. There may be some initial resistance to the insertion, they soon become acquainted with it and calm down, until I begin the journey in my truck.

When I take my furkids to the vet or to the spay/neuter clinic in town, they feel somewhat safe and secure in them. I usually place the least aggressive, or the smallest, cat in the store-bought one, in this case it was Princess, during their spaying appointment. When it came time for the attendant to pick her up for a preliminary inspection, Princess locked her legs in the carrier , pushing herself up against the top (as she is a long-legged cat), and it was nearly impossible to get her out. The home-made ones are top loaded with a hinged screen-lid/door. Yet, I have had better results with them in the vet's office, not being so afraid, and cantankerous! I suppose what makes them so afraid at the spay/neuter clinic is that people are lined up with cats and dogs, to be operated on in the morning. All of my furkids are afraid of dogs. :)

....wayne

Heather Wallace
05-02-2002, 05:17 PM
i usually get my cats in their carrier by force.

Tatty went to the vets so much last year that the minute he see's any carrier he runs away, he thinks he has to go to the vets again. The thing is, the rabbits are in it and it's not even for him, LOL!:)

tuxluvr
05-02-2002, 08:56 PM
Whenever I see the word "cat carrier" I'm the one who gets nervous - this is more trauma than I like to think about...Ritz's first trip to the vet wasn't too bad because the only other experience with the "cage of doom" was when I brought her home - this wasn't as bad because I sang to her and she actually slept on the hour plus ride.

The first trip to the vet for an overall checkup, she didn't know what was happening so she was a trusting little kitten....but it was evident early on she didn't like this place. She growled and hissed at the vet, something I had never heard from her before. Getting her in and out of the carrier was easy - open door, put favorite rattie and favorite blankie, and in goes Ritzy.

Second trip-midnight emergency UTI...40mile trip to only vet open at time. Now a bit larger, the task of putting her in the carrier was a little more difficult, but an alternate "top loader" door proved beneficial. At the vet, under loud protest, she is extracted, growling, hissing and spitting the entire time (how do the vets hear around all that noise?) The vet had to sedate her to examine, so the ride home was mostly a long nap

Third trip-spay surgery -Cat carrier is placed in kitchen day before the visit with blankie - Ritzy runs off but eventually gets used to the idea and actually takes a little nap inside. Something in that little kitty memory snapped, though, when it came time to "go" she quietly disappeared...was located under a chair between a bunch of magazines. Two humans were required to muscle Ritzy into carrier, and pitiful kitty noises gave mommycat the guilts for weeks to follow. AT this point, it became evident to me that Ritzy had one of those "kitty with a tude" warnings on her chart - the vets and technicians seemed almost relieved that she was going. More pitiful moans on the way home and I swear she milked the "wounded kitty" thing for all the spoiling mommycat could muster!

Fourth trip - annual booster shots, etc. If anyone tells you that cats have only short term memory, don't believe them! I had not had the cat carrier out for a year, and the minute this thing appeared in the kitchen, Ritzy did a disappearing act that would put Houdini to shame. It made me think that there must be a "cat zone" that kitties can zap into when they don't want to be found...it was CLEAR she was going to have no part of this...I'm thinking next time I'm going to have to get a new carrier or soft sider...at the vet, they literally had to "dump" her out onto the exam table...getting her in was easy though, as she would have gone anywhere to get away from that mean man who puts cold things in private places! They weighed the carrier with the cat and the carrier empty to get the "net weight" of the kitty...more growls and hisses and "balled up terror kitty" made me wonder how you ever get a good "reading" with all this fuss.

Now, the cat carrier is in the same room with the "evil hoover" and carries the same disdainful sneer from Ritz. If I open doors, usually Ritzy darts in immediately - not this room....she won't go near it, and If she sees me bringing anything out, she goes into a kitty snit!

Sweet Ritzy, responsibilities of mommycathood aren't always easy, but very much worth it...

AmberLee
05-02-2002, 10:40 PM
Oh what a classic tale!!! Love the way you put words together!

krazyaboutkatz
05-02-2002, 11:58 PM
My cats used to like their cat carriers and they would sleep in them. Now they are much smarter and I have to force them in. I usually put the carrier in a corner with the door open and then push my furbaby in it very fast and then try to close the door as fast as I can. It usually only takes about 5 minutes or less for me to get them in it.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-03-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by tuxluvr
Whenever I see the word "cat carrier" I'm the one who gets nervous - this is more trauma than I like to think about......<snip>

Now, the cat carrier is in the same room with the "evil hoover" and carries the same disdainful sneer from Ritz. If I open doors, usually Ritzy darts in immediately - not this room....she won't go near it, and If she sees me bringing anything out, she goes into a kitty snit!

tuxluvr, you sound like Terry. All I have to do is mention the word vet, and he gets all panicky and stressed out. Tubby doesn't really mind going to the vet, Peanut doesn't like it but takes everything in stride, but Terry is in a "kitty snit" for days beforehand. :rolleyes: I've learned I need to take my two one at a time to the vet so I don't need his "help." :D

But poor Ritzy. It's a shame that a little trip to the vet can turn such a sweetheart into such a demon. It's really surprising to hear about these Jekyll and Hyde kitties (Edwina too). I guess I've been real lucky with my two. They've been completely healthy all their lives....aaahhhhh....I just had an epiphany. Maybe that's why they are so good at the vet, because they don't go real often, the trauma has time to fade away in their memories. Although the cat carrier trauma will never fade for Peanut. :rolleyes: She's been in it more because of me moving than for going to the vet, so she knows that when she gets put into it the next thing will be the big machine that makes a lot of noise and moves (the car), then there will be a strange place at the end of the trip. That she doesn't like. Poor kitties. It's a good thing they get over their trauma quickly.