PDA

View Full Version : Good animal books

nsweezie
04-29-2002, 08:07 AM
I just finished reading a book by Caroline Alexander called "Mrs Chippy's Last Expedition", and I LOVED it. It's about the cat that was on Ernest Shakleton's ship that went to the Antarctic. It tells the story from the cat's point of view, and is very interesting, with a sad ending, but still well worth reading.
I'd love to hear about other animal related books that other people have enjoyed.

Ann
04-29-2002, 08:26 AM
Well, I posted this (http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10056) a while back...

Aside from that, well there are TONS really... if you like horses there are the Black Stallion series by Walter Farley, the Silver Brumby series by Elyne Mitchell, War Horse is the sad story about Joey, a horse involved in the first world war, written by Micheal Morpurgo, the Flicka series by Mary O'Hara, The Brumby series by Mary Elwyn Patchett revolves around a boy in Australia and his beloved horse Brumby. Walt Morey has written Sandy And The Popstar (about a popstar who runs away, tired of the pressure and meets Sandy, a puma that is being hunted) and Runaway Stallion which is about Jeff who finds a wild horse and vefriends him, but becomes devastated when the real owner turns up. Jack London's two books White Fang and Call Of The Wild are also great. If you're looking for more books from the animal's perspective (besides Thor, which I posted about in the above link) there is Watership Down by Richard Adams (bout rabbits) and The Cold Moons by Aeron clement (about badgers, very similar to Watership Down). The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford is really touching and great.

...I could go on forever!

delidog
04-30-2002, 04:55 AM
"all creatures great and small", "all things bright and beautiful," "all things wise and wonderful," "the lord god made them all,"....sold as boxed set....and "every living thing"...
all these books are written by the great veterinarian DR.James Herriot....
this is also a PBS weekly t.v. show....
the stories are priceless and will stay in your heart and mind forever

Crikit
05-01-2002, 08:46 PM
Okay let me think about this for a second, I should be able to come up with at least a couple. Well like Delidog said the James Herriot books are fantastic...you'll laugh, you'll cry.. I would also have to recommend a book called "Bark if you love me" I can't remember who it's by however I do remember it starts with a B... then there is a new book out about famous dogs through history I believe it's called "Paws through history" if you're looking for fictional books the Susan Conant series is excellent and I also hear the same is true for the Cat who series and the Rita Mae Brown books.

delidog
05-01-2002, 10:35 PM
oh and lets' not forget "How to be as good as your dog thinks that you are!!!!!!;)

AmberLee
05-02-2002, 12:56 AM
Agree. I adore the Herriot series. I'm blanking out on the author who studied wolves in the wild in northern Canada in the 50s or 60s -- Moffatt, perhaps? "Cry of the Wolf"??? Arrrgghhh! I really liked the book, but don't think you can figure it out from the muddle I'm remembering.

In fiction, I adore G. Stern's "The Ugly Dachund". A Great Dane, raised in a family of dachunds doesn't realize he isn't one too. It's told from the point of view of the GD and it's funny, and sad, and wise, and wonderful and hope-inspiring. I love when he sees visions of DOG dimly in mirrors...

delidog
05-02-2002, 05:05 AM
"The Ugly Dachsund" is also a Disney movie from the sixties...it starred Dean Jones....who also starred in "That Darn Cat"....and another favorite..."The Horse in the Grey Flannel Suit"....all can be rented at blockbuster.....great movies...all rated "G"....great for kids and animal lovers....
p.s.
my friend Robert Ridland did all the riding scenes in the horse in the grey flannel suit.....

momoffuzzyfaces
05-02-2002, 03:47 PM
My favorite is 'The Cat Who...' series by Lilian Jackson Braun. Two Siamese cats, KoKo and YumYum help solve crimes.;)

wolflady
05-02-2002, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by AmberLee
..I'm blanking out on the author who studied wolves in the wild in northern Canada in the 50s or 60s -- Moffatt, perhaps? "Cry of the Wolf"??? Arrrgghhh! I really liked the book, but don't think you can figure it out from the muddle I'm remembering.

Yes!! Farley Mowat is the biologist that went and lived with and studied the arctic wolves about 30 years ago. There is a book (and movie) called Never Cry Wolf that tells his story...

I too am all wrapped up in the Cat Who series and the Sneaky Pie series of mystery books.

Some other animal books that I enjoy are all of the Chicken Soup for the (Pet Lovers, Cat and Dog lovers, Animal lovers) Soul books! A lot like the stories on Pet Warmers...be sure to have a tissue!

delidog
05-05-2002, 05:15 AM
i agree...the chicken soup for the pet lovers' soul....and chicken soup for the cat and dog lovers' soul are fabulous books....also some james herriot stories in them!!!!!!!!