PDA

View Full Version : Beta, tell me this isn't true!!!!

king2005
04-12-2006, 03:30 PM
They really should have tropical temperatures....they can survive and do "well" without them...but it shortens their lifespan.

This better NOT be true!! If it is doo doo is going to hit the fan pretty darn quick!! I LOVE & have great respect for my fish (not beta) & I want them to live happy healthy lives & as long as they should.

I spent 1000.00 on my oscar becasue I was given incorrect info & then I wanted to make it up to her & got her everything she needed. BUT I didn't knowly cause her any pain or shorten her life (saddly it was too late & I put her down). If Beta owners know that not heating the water is shortening their lifespan that is CRULETY in my books!

PLEASE tell me the info I read was wrong PLEASE!!!

My Peanuts
04-12-2006, 04:17 PM
I believe it's true. Bettas can live well in 75-80degree water I've been told. They can live ok without them, but it's not ideal. My betta has a heater, it was like $5 at walmart. Well worth it.

king2005
04-12-2006, 06:21 PM
I believe it's true. Bettas can live well in 75-80degree water I've been told. They can live ok without them, but it's not ideal. My betta has a heater, it was like $5 at walmart. Well worth it.

oooo I didn't want to hear that...

Roxyluvsme13
04-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Sebastian and Two-Tone don't live with a heater, and neither does my cousin;s fish. My cousin's fish is 3-4years old.

Chilli
04-12-2006, 07:08 PM
My three bettas don't have a heater, either. They all appear to be healthy and all three have a big bubblenest. :D I haven't had one live out their full life yet, so I'm unsure if it effects their lifespan or not.

chocolatepuppy
04-12-2006, 07:18 PM
Found this on BETTATALK...

If kept in less than 5 gal tanks you cannot use heaters, they might heat up the water too fast and cook your fish.
My bettas seem to do fine without heaters. They are in my kitchen, the warmest room in the house all year round.My Zackie, who I recently lost was well over 3 and who knows how old when I got him. He was fully grown when I got him. For a fish whose lifespan is an average of 3 years, that's not bad. ;)

Jessika
04-12-2006, 07:41 PM
I had two bettas in bowls without heaters that lived for about four years each soooo lol

king2005
04-12-2006, 07:48 PM
If people are judging lifespan by not using heaters & then whats the real life span?

For a common snapping turtle, their true life span is 50+ years. In captivity the avg lifespan is 25 years. The reason its lower is because people over feed the turtle & then around the age of 20-25 their liver starts to fail & the animal dies.. I feed my guy once every 2 weeks to allow for a more natural life span.

So whats their real lifespan?

binka_nugget
04-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Half of my bettas have their water constantly at 82-83 degrees. The other half have them around 71-73. I haven't noticed any difference at all.

chocolatepuppy
04-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Just googled this...

Lifespan:

Bettas live an average of 3 years, and can live up to 5 years. The ones sold in pet stores are usually adults, so they have the nice long fins, but that also means that they are already a year old when sold. That means that if you have a betta for more than two years after you buy it, it's a nice, long-lived fish.

king2005
04-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Just googled this...

Lifespan:

Bettas live an average of 3 years, and can live up to 5 years. The ones sold in pet stores are usually adults, so they have the nice long fins, but that also means that they are already a year old when sold. That means that if you have a betta for more than two years after you buy it, it's a nice, long-lived fish.

good.

chocolatepuppy
04-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Glad you can relax about this Jess. :) I also have a female that I've had 2 1/2 yrs and a male I've had 2 yrs. The rest are younger.

flamepony12
04-12-2006, 11:12 PM
They should be absolutely fine without a heater as long as the room they're in has a temperature that's fairly steady.

jackie
04-13-2006, 02:12 AM
They should be absolutely fine without a heater as long as the room they're in has a temperature that's fairly steady.

Exactly what I was going to say. :p
I donīt think you have mush to worry about unless you have a very very cold house.

king2005
04-13-2006, 07:59 AM
I just got upset because of what the person on the other board said. She said without the heater their hearts beat faster & then they die younger. In my opinion thats crulety!

IRescue452
04-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Actually, colder water has more oxygen. If you want to have a heater with any fish you must also have something to agitate the water. If you put a strong filter in they might be bothered or injured by it. If you put an airstone in it would be ok, so long as they have plenty of space to get away from the bubbles. I've had bettas live to old age and I don't use a heater. The person on the board is uneducated, its like somebody who says that a dog is aggressive when its growls in play and tells a person to stop playing like that, its best to ignore these people or try to calmly educate them.

king2005
04-13-2006, 09:47 AM
Actually, colder water has more oxygen. If you want to have a heater with any fish you must also have something to agitate the water. If you put a strong filter in they might be bothered or injured by it. If you put an airstone in it would be ok, so long as they have plenty of space to get away from the bubbles. I've had bettas live to old age and I don't use a heater. The person on the board is uneducated, its like somebody who says that a dog is aggressive when its growls in play and tells a person to stop playing like that, its best to ignore these people or try to calmly educate them.

I don't really like the other person (knows too much if you know what I mean), I assumed she knew what she was talking about this time as she breeds her Betas. Now I can relax & enjoy the Beta threads again.

I only got a bit upset as sooooo many people see fish as well, "its just a fish". I hate when people say that, it hurts, I LOVE my big guys dearly & still remember all the fish I had in the past (not too many as most lived 5-7yrs) & their names too.

Speeking of the dogs play growl, my landladies friends said hes being agressive & blah blah blah... So she checked with me first as she trusts me more then her friends & family, as I have REAL dog experience & her dog is ALL over me, so she knows I'm not BSing... I told her there is a big difference in sound... I got Cyrus to growl while I was holding a toy & tickling his nose. I said do you feel scared with this growl, or does it sound like a happy growl. She said thats the only growl that comes out of him. I told her when he's pissed off you'll KNOW the difference as it'll send chills down your spine & he wont look happy at all... I said the only bad thing about Cyrus having a play growl is that hes a pitty & thats the only reason... I told her that the major thing that needs to be stopped is him smiling, as there is no real way to tell a happy smile from a bad smile, & its the bad smiles that are important as they let you know when hes had enough or hes scared or doesn't like something or someone. Its a warning not a trick, so hes no longer allowed to smile (his smile was a real smile his upper lip would tremble, but it sometimes looked like he was showing his teeth, so its still not good).

My Peanuts
04-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Here's some food for thought, my betta RB Drew lived without a heater and when I bought him one he died. The water wasn't too hot and I just think it was his time to go. Btw, my betta lives in a 5 gallon mini bowl.

Lori Jordan
04-13-2006, 12:06 PM
I have 2 bettas they are 3 years old now and have been in a cold water tank since i have gotten them,My other fish tanks has a heater,but i have tropical fish in that tank and most tropics need a heater

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i79/JamieLori/Picture160.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i79/JamieLori/Picture161.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i79/JamieLori/Picture165.jpg

king2005
04-13-2006, 02:37 PM
I have 2 bettas they are 3 years old now and have been in a cold water tank since i have gotten them,My other fish tanks has a heater,but i have tropical fish in that tank and most tropics need a heater

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i79/JamieLori/Picture160.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i79/JamieLori/Picture161.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i79/JamieLori/Picture165.jpg

Nice fish... I use to have those coloured rocks years ago... I've since then learned that rocks are evil & allow for nasty worms to grow (its caused by the type of food I have to use to feed my fish), ewww... I miss Rocks & so do my fish. Mango loved piling all the rocks in 1 spot so I couldn't see him :rolleyes:

bckrazy
04-14-2006, 01:24 AM
It is definitely preferable that Bettas are kept in tanks that are 75-82*... this is the temp of their natural environment, and the temp that they are spawned and reared in. I'm just like Ashley - my bigger tanks (3-10 gallons) are heated, and my 1 gallons are not, but they are always at 70-74*. They are definitely happy, but the Bettas that I'm conditioning and the males that I'm growing out as show Bettas are kept in heated tanks - because, to me, it's obvious that Bettas thrive on the optimum temperature of their natural environment. My boys/girls with heated tanks are much more active and colored up than those in unheated tanks... of course, my Bettas in unheated tanks are still very active, but I see a clear difference. Hopefully, I'll soon have all of them in heated tanks. During the summer, my house is 80* so all of the Bettas are very happy!

Compare tropical temps for Bettas to raw feeding for dogs - both are the most natural for these animals, and they will (much more often than not) thrive on a natural environment. :)