PDA

View Full Version : Does your pet like to travel?

Former User
04-29-2002, 02:17 AM
Casper and Kitty travel only when going to the vet, and they don't like it. They keep meowing all the way there, and back.

Fuzzy317
04-29-2002, 02:33 AM
We just took our puppy, Ginger, with us on a trip to work at some motorcycle races. It was about a 2 hour trip, and Ginger was kept in a large carrier so there would be no "accidents" in the almost new car. :(

We camped Friday and Saturday nights, and Ginger slept in the carrier in our tent. At first she complained about being in the carrier, but after a short time she became quite and dozed off. :)

Pam
04-29-2002, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Casper & Kitty
Casper and Kitty travel only when going to the vet, and they don't like it. They keep meowing all the way there, and back.

Yep that's how it is with Trevor and Andy. Their only car trips are to the vet's and they are so LOUD in the car!! Trevor in particular sounds like a mountain lion!!! :D

Bella likes to get in the car but I think she might feel a little woozy from the motion of the car. She used to stand on the seat and look out the window and that made her drool. From a past experience with another dog of mine who got car sick, I thought she might also be suffering from carsickness. She seems to have solved her own problem though by laying down immediately on the seat, and now there is no drooling. I think she probably has mixed feelings about riding in the car. She enjoys the idea of going for a ride, but I think the motion of the car might still be bothering her.

Logan
04-29-2002, 08:53 AM
My dogs, Honey and Lilly, are great travelers and usually lie down immediately in the back of the SUV and go to sleep. The longest drive they have been on was 7 hours, with two potty/water breaks. And it was worth it because they got to spend 4 days at the beach.

The cats....no way! Mimi is quiet, and she has traveled much longer distances than Butter, who has only gone to the vet. Mimi used to travel to my parent's house with me quite often. But they rarely travel anywhere in the car, except to the vet's office now. They like it that way! :D

My neighbor did tell me yesterday that one of Butter's favorite sleeping spots is the front seat of her car, when she leaves the window down! He visits there (two doors down) often because they give him better treats than I buy! :o

gini
04-29-2002, 11:38 AM
Rascal has only been in the car and carrier to go to the Vets. But he is pretty good about it.

Years ago, we drove to the mountains to a cabin and brought our two cats in carriers with us. Patches (R/B) made sounds as though we were killing her. Finally, because the sounds were so pitiful, I took her out of the carrier. That is exactly what she wanted......from that point on she sat on my lap and looked out the window and didn't make a sound.

momoffuzzyfaces
04-29-2002, 12:16 PM
Oh, the screaming, and the crying! Then add the cat's Yelling on top of mine!
They only go to the vets so do not like car rides. Seems like they grow extra feet, and use them to grab on to the sides, of the carrier when I'm trying to stuff them in it. It would be easier to put toothpaste back in the tube!:D

Edwina's Secretary
04-29-2002, 12:20 PM
My parent's dogs have always been great car riders. I particularly remember two -- Matt - big ole coon hound type and I think it was Heidi -- a mostly Skiperke. They loved the car sooo much they would would beg to go sit in it -- even if it wasn't going anywhere. In the garage or on the driveway -- they would sit in it for hours -- taking turns "driving." They would sit, sleep, change seats -- very content.

We would say the dogs were "going to Cleveland."

Cincy'sMom
04-29-2002, 05:23 PM
My dogs love to go anywhere in the car...the vets, dayschool, my parents, Ralph's parents, the store, does not matter, just let me ride in the car!!!! You ask them do you want to go..and it doesn't matter how you finish, you just say go and they both run for their leashes and are whining to get out the door!

sasvermont
04-29-2002, 06:16 PM
For some reason I have always had cats that were willing to travel with me. Only one was a pain in the neck, but all the others were fine. I usually keep them confined in carriers (two fastened together) and they don't mind it. Last summer I took my two on vacation (8 hours each way) and not a peep out of them. OF COURSE, THE ACCOMODATIONS IN THE CARRIERS ARE SUPERB! I put the litter box in one large container and the cats in the other...they move back and forth...lots of room....It usually takes up the entire back seat of the car. When they were kitten-ittens, as I call them, they were 4 hours away from me...and they rode home with me just as quiet as could be.... I am lucky!

;) ;) :cool:

C.C.'s Mom
05-24-2002, 03:36 AM
Cookie is the perfect traveller and joins me whenever I go for a carride (except when I do the weekly shoppings because I don't want her to stay behind in the car.
Cook simply jumps in the back, lays down on her pillow and sleeps. I take her with me when I visit my parents. One time there was a terrible traffic jam with stop and go for 4 hours and she couldn't go out for a break until I was home again. That were 6 hours altogether and no complaining.

The cats don't like it. Rudie makes a very big fuzz and screams all the way to the vet. Eddy isn't happy, but accepts it for 20 minutes max.

My RB cat Pishi was fine with carrides. I always took her along to Holland. Those 3 to 4 hours were fine with her. Perfect cat.

AdoreMyDogs
05-24-2002, 06:41 AM
Graham loves it...as a matter of fact, I bought a mini van for him so he'd have alot of room. Kersey does NOT like going for a car ride because she has motion sickness :( But I go to the dog park 4 or so times a week, plus obedience school plus general errands that I make and she goes with me. Hopefully she'll get better and eventually like car rides.

06-05-2002, 02:50 AM
Sydney HATES being in the car !! May be it is because his only trips are to the vet and back home ......... ! He meouws all the way ......... poor thing:(