PDA

View Full Version : One handed K9Karen....

K9karen
04-11-2006, 11:25 PM
Hey, guys...
This will take me forever, as John is asleep, but I thought you'd like an update.
Met with Animal Control officer on Sat. morn. He took my statement as much as I could remember-which was about 3 minutes from start to end as I went into shock. He took more pics of additional finger, calf, ear and head injuries. He's going to make an appointment to interview my brother next week. as he'll be in court most of this week on other cases. He said my injuries were the worse he's seen in ages. I'm lucky to be alive.
The neighbor,according to neighbors and the hospital was looking for me. HE had been at the hospital that day but spelt my name wrong so they sent him away. I saw him outside on Sat afternoon and he quickly asked how my hand was and I told him awful..blah blah.. and suggested we don't speak. I don't want to get talkative or say something I'll regret as I have an appt. with a lawyer on Monday.He was 'fixing' his fence-adding layers of wood at the bottom. I saw 1 dog with him. Today I saw 2, neither with a required muzzle or leash.
Everyone I know has been awesome. New neighbors across the street offered help, as did some I rarely see and of course the puppy's owners have been either calling or over everyday. Ofcourse all of you have been so sweet and kind.
Have Dr appt on Friday. I know i need one more surgery, but maybe as many as 3-4. The sling turns my fingers black so I have to rest mt entire arm on 2-3 pillowsto keep my arn vertical and constantly wiggle, stretch, bend my fingers. They are less swollen but still discolored and wrinkly. John and I have had dinner out every night since, thanks to loving friends. Tomorrow i will go to a Passover dinner and Sunday, to an Easter dinner, so I'll be spiritually covered! :D My brother has been a gem. His girlfriend of 6 yrs broke up with him2 weeks ago, and our relationship improved dramatically since and evenmore now. John is my savior-I thinks he loves caring for me anyway and hates my independent ways! I feel like I'm a changed person, emotionally, mentally, spiritually.
Big secret revealed... i stopped smoking as of 4P April 5. I love my hand and fingers better than the Marlboro Man. I'm using an inhaler. My fab dentist gives me all the freebies I want now .Maybe this was also an omen.
Sorry to yak away. I was missing you all. I have so many threads to catch up on, sorry-spend a lot of time sleeping.
Puppy, Boots is fine except for a deep puncture wound on his little butt. My darling Klo is loving and attentive. I'm so relieved she wasn't hurt.
I love you all.....Karen

wolf_Q
04-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Oh my gosh Karen, I didn't even see anything about this. Is there a thread about exactly what happened? I'm so sorry to hear about all of it, it sounds very painful. I hope you get feeling better soon!!

Karen
04-11-2006, 11:44 PM
Oh, sweetie - I am sooo proud of you that, in the midst of all this, you quit smoking!!!!! Big hugs to you, and thanks for the update! One-handed skritchies to K-Lo from me!

gini
04-11-2006, 11:49 PM
Karen, I just saw this post and wanted to respond right away.

What an amazing spirit you have - even through all of this. The most important thing is that you came out of this alive - as did the poor puppy.
Over and over again, I will say, bless your heart for protecting that puppy at all costs - your HAND.

In some ways this reminds me of the incident that happened on our block several years ago when a neighbor's dog attacked another dog that was being walked (on a leash) by its owner. She is a writer and in trying to protect her older golden - was attacked herself. Her wrist was broken.

The owners of the dog came over with a box of apples and a dozen roses and said they were so sorry. And they truly felt that this would be enough.

The woman that was injured and her husband did not want money - even the medical bills paid for - they wanted something done about the dog because it was the sixth attack - and the owners did nothing. They finally had to go to court over it because the dog was always loose - running free.

Fixing that spot in the fence is not enough - if they could dig out there - they will only find another spot - another victim.

I wish you the very best in all of this - and I am just so sorry that it had to happen at all - you really have had your plate full recently.

shais_mom
04-11-2006, 11:54 PM
continued hugs sent your way Karen!

shais_mom
04-11-2006, 11:55 PM
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=102428 here Amy :)

Kfamr
04-12-2006, 12:01 AM
{{{{{hugs}}}

Alysser
04-12-2006, 12:42 AM
I can't believe that your neighbor fixed the fence!! :mad: What a jerk. ((hugs)) Sorry you need another surgery :(

captain
04-12-2006, 12:50 AM
Ok - can I just say, you typed ALL that with ONE HAND!!!!! :eek: :D

What a legend - giving up smoking! You GO GIRL!!!!!

I truly hope you feel better really soon.
Love across the miles

Michelle and the Spotties

jackie
04-12-2006, 02:16 AM
I canīt believe I missed the first thread.

Iīd like to start out by saying you are amazing for saving the puppy without a thought for yourself, thank goodness your brother was there to saving you.

Here is to you have speedy recovery, and good luck with quitting smoking! Iwll be hecking back on your progress often, so please post an update when you are feeling better.

(((hugs)))

Barbara
04-12-2006, 02:47 AM
Karen, I am so glad you and the puppy survived all this. It sounds horrible what you have to go through.

Filou and Tigris send healing purrs (you know that they say cat purr frequencies are good for the growth of bones ;) )

Killearn Kitties
04-12-2006, 03:22 AM
you know that they say cat purr frequencies are good for the growth of bones ;)
In that case, my three girls will add their loudest purrs!
Wiggle those fingers now!

chocolatepuppy
04-12-2006, 05:09 AM
Good to hear from you Karen, I was wondering how you were doing. You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. {hugs}

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-12-2006, 05:23 AM
I missed the original thread about the attack.

I am sooo sorry. But glad that you are o.k... (well for the most part i guess).. !!!! You will be in my prayers.

CONGRATULATIONS on quitting smoking!!! You go girl!! :D

Pam
04-12-2006, 06:30 AM
Karen you type better with one hand than I usually do with two! I didn't realize you had quit smoking as a result of all of this. You may have mentioned it before but somehow it didn't *sink in.* Life is strange isn't it? Who would have thought that something like this could have a *little bit of positive* thrown into the mix. My fingers are crossed that you can stay away from those things.

I can imagine the fear you have every time you let Klo out to go potty. I hope that there is a better solution to this mess than just a quickie fence repair.

moosmom
04-12-2006, 07:15 AM
Karen,

I'm glad you've got animal control involved and are seeing lawyer. Your neighbor sounds like a real piece of work with very LARGE brass ones, having his dogs out with no protection (muzzle or leash). I'm praying for you girl. Congrats on quitting smoking.

Love and hugs,

Donna

Daisy and Delilah
04-12-2006, 07:30 AM
You sound like such an amazing lady Karen. Of course, you're still my hero, and many others here I'm sure. Such an unbelievable gesture you made to save this little one, not even thinking of what would be in your future. Your words inspire me to no end. I hope you will recover as fast as possible and big congratulations for quitting the cigarettes. Sorry your neighbor seems to have a terminal case of the stupids. Please take care and keep us posted when you feel up to it. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers:)

zippy-kat
04-12-2006, 08:31 AM
Good morning, Karen!

Your spirit amazes me! Bless you again for all that you've done and I pray that the status of "non-smoker" will come easily for you. (That sounded funny lol... rephrased: I hope quitting cold-turkey is easy for you. ;) ) Good on ya for giving it up (even if it was unwillingly ;) ).

Thank you for taking the time to paw-out uppiedates - we sure do care about ya!

Continued thoughts and prayers,
Zip 'n furcrew

king2005
04-12-2006, 08:46 AM
Your still in my thoughts up here. I wish you a speedy recovery & the best on quiting smoking!!

catnapper
04-12-2006, 09:46 AM
OMG! Karen! :eek: I missed the first thread completely!

I am so sorry this all happened. What an awful nightmare. If there's anything you need, let me know. Genlte (((Hugs))) to you and your wonderful family who's helping you so much.

Vela
04-12-2006, 10:24 AM
I am glad you are at least alive, and even with those horrid surgeries and the pain you are still here so that is a blessing in itself! I am so glad your neighbors and everyone is helping out and that you weren't hurt worse. It was a very brave thing you did to sacrifice yourself for the puppy's life. Glad to hear you quit smoking too! You will feel so much better about that in the future, I know beause I smoked for eight years and quit 15 years ago. I LOVE not smoking and you will too. Lots of prayers headed your way for a full recovery in the shortest amount of time possible.

jazzcat
04-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Wow Karen, you did great to type all that by yourself.

I think it's great you've stopped smoking and are so positive about it all. I think I would fall very short on the attitude part.

Lots of gentle ((hugs)).

Dixieland Dancer
04-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Dear Friend, My heart sank reading that you were attacked trying to save a puppy. You are a true hero! I'm still trying to piece in exactly what happened. I remember a while ago you posted about Logan getting new neighbors (3 Rotties). Are these the dogs that attacked you?

You will be in my thoughts and prayers. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Karen, you are so fortunate that your brother was home. Please tell him your friends are very grateful for his quick and decisive action. I would give him a big hug for being there for you if I could.

Love,
Candy

lizbud
04-12-2006, 11:16 AM
It's good to hear from you Karen.Hopefully the pain can be managed
and you heal up completely soon.What a terrible ordeal to be going through.
You will stay in my prayers for a full recovery. Gentle ((HUGS))). Liz.

king2005
04-12-2006, 11:27 AM
Dear Friend, My heart sank reading that you were attacked trying to save a puppy. You are a true hero! I'm still trying to piece in exactly what happened. I remember a while ago you posted about Logan getting new neighbors (3 Rotties). Are these the dogs that attacked you?

You will be in my thoughts and prayers. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Karen, you are so fortunate that your brother was home. Please tell him your friends are very grateful for his quick and decisive action. I would give him a big hug for being there for you if I could.

Love,
Candy

I'm assuming it was them. I remember her saying that 2 of the 3 were not so friendly. But regardless, breed means nothing, as any med-large breed dog could have done that. Its 100% the owners fault for not training the dogs properly & not taking proper percautions if the dog(s) were dog aggressive Like muzzling them when they went outside or building a special fence that goes underground & out to prevent digging holes (if I recall these dogs were digging before). It owners like that that make ANY breed look bad :mad:

ramanth
04-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Karen, you are far more stronger and braver person than I could ever hope to be.

I'm so sorry you have to go thru this. I hope your wounds heal quickly and I hope justice is delivered to you. *HUGS*

Rachel
04-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Oh, you know I'm so happy to hear from you, and to know that you are making some progress in your recovery. (Heal, Karen, Heal!)

Most of all I am so proud that you have continued with your intended Quit Smoking project. Last weekend I saw the Tanya Tucker show *Tuckerville*. She was trying to quit smoking, went to a hypnotist and lit one up on the way home. :rolleyes: All I could think of was how much I hoped your determination was stronger than that.

Thank you for taking the time (and effort) to paw out the one paw uppydate. You know how we all need to hear from you.

Logan
04-12-2006, 03:25 PM
I'm so glad I came over here to check and see if you had posted, Karen! Of course, I thought your secretary would have been the one to type it out! ;) Good for you, one hand and all!!!! :D

Now that I've read your update, I won't call today, as I had intended, since we hadn't heard from you in a couple of days. I will save that call for another time.

Hang in there and keep wiggling those fingers! :) I'm so proud of you for stopping the smoking, too. You are going to feel so much better, and just think of all the money you will save!!!! :D

anna_66
04-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Karen I never really realized just how badly you were attacked, gosh you are so lucky you were hurt even more than you were. And all of it to save a puppy...again, your my hero:)

I can't say I know the pain you are in, but after seeing my mom in such pain with her arm I can just imagine. The slightest bump puts you in agony.
Just remember to keep that arm elevated and keep those fingers working. My mom finally has full use of her arm so know that it will get better.

I'm so happy to hear that you've stopped smoking and I'm still am in amazement that you were able to sit here and type out this whole post with one hand! You go girl:D

Sending lots of prayers and hugs your way.

*LabLoverKEB*
04-12-2006, 06:49 PM
I hope all the pain goes away real quick, Karen. That's sound extremley painful... [[[[[HUGS]]]]]

Toby's my baby
04-12-2006, 07:00 PM
I'm glad your feeling a little better, or at least good enough to stop in!! I hope you heal fast, and dont require too many surgeries!! Good luck with the healing process!

Glacier
04-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Sending many healing thoughts! Take care of yourself!

K9karen
04-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Thx one and all.
I'd like to add one thing I purposely omitted before.
Yes. it was 2 of the 3 Rotties that attacked me. Coco was always the barker and the one by the fence all the time and the one the owner smacked on the butt, Her mom, Sheba, the sweetest, tho outside, did not go under the fence. But, baby daughter, Angel, who's rarely out and also very sweet, followed her sister and therefore must also eventually pay the price, :(
Please note I do not in any way consider this an 'awful' breed issue. I didn't want to start any problems or arguments. People who know me are shocked at the incident since I am the world's most avid dog lover, period. I've been around Rotties, Pits..all those 'Dangerous' breeds. I've been drenched in kisses by them.
They happened to be Rotties. They could have been any other breed. I put full blame on the owner. Remember I was dog sitting a baby pit. So. please, do not think I'm mad at the Rotties. People have a tendency to react to this story in horror, more than if I had said 'Poodles' ..sorry Pam... :rolleyes:
All blame on the owner. He knew the back fence wasn't stable and did a makeshift fix up job.

Fingers all wrinkly like I'm 90. Less swollen. In constant wiggle..people think I'm waving at them. Sure is a conversation starter. The 'Boys' are still treating me like a queen-which of course I deserve ;)

Terrible moments of temptation but still NO ciggies. Saved $35 already. Puffing on the inhaler-it's pretty good. Go thru 1 a day. Normal is 4-5 for a pack a day smoker..so I'm determined. No weight gain yet. Thx for your loving encouragement. You're the best friends ever!

pnance
04-13-2006, 12:22 AM
I'm glad to here your hands at least getting a little better. I can't even imagine how difficult it must be for you. Congrats on the ciggies, going through all this and giving those up is amazing. Prayers to you for a speedy recovery.

ramanth
04-13-2006, 09:44 AM
Of course you deserved to be treated like a queen!

I can sympathize. When Logan bit me, anytime I explained what happened, the persons first response would be, "So are you going to have the cat put down?" or "Do you hate cats now?"

People that are not animal lovers just don't understand.... :(

*HUGS*

king2005
04-13-2006, 10:04 AM
Of course you deserved to be treated like a queen!

I can sympathize. When Logan bit me, anytime I explained what happened, the persons first response would be, "So are you going to have the cat put down?" or "Do you hate cats now?"

People that are not animal lovers just don't understand.... :(

*HUGS*

I hate when people say that.
I've been bitten, chased & stitched due to dogs. I don't hate them at all, however I do get scared when they charge me while barking or snarling & I will back up & then kick them if they get in my face while barking & snarling.. then I yell at the owners & give them a piece of my mind (any size of dog bigger then 10 pounds scare me, a tea cup poodle just doesn't have the strength to hurt me baddly, but a JRT does)... I'm fine if a dog runs up to me quite as its more the snarling & barking that scares me.

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-13-2006, 10:07 AM
Aw Karen, you admire you so much for how you are handling this!!! You are the best! Thank you so much for keeping us all update!!
I am including you in my daily prayers!!!

.sarah
04-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Hey Karen, it's so good to hear from you! :) Glad to hear you're doing good. And how awesome that you've quit smoking!!! Good for you!

pitc9
04-13-2006, 07:09 PM
Oh Karen... I know many others have said this before me.. but you are my hero! I wish you the speediest recovery and I wish you all the luck in the world with the no smoking!
Keep moving those fingers!! ;)

ChrisH
04-14-2006, 08:40 AM
Aw, Karen, thanks for updating us. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/Miscellaneous/Smilies/Hugs2.gif Prayers and good thoughts continuing.

anna_66
04-14-2006, 02:15 PM
I was wondering what kind of dogs they were Karen, so sad they have to pay the price for their owners mistake.

YIPPEE for no ciggies!!! You go girl:D

Still sending healing thoughts your way!

RobiLee
04-14-2006, 04:56 PM
Wow, no cigs! You are AWESOME! Protecting that puppy and putting yourself at risk, not smoking and typing with one hand means you are a hero to me, girl!! Hang in there, Karen. I'm sending tons of positive thoughts your way and wiggling my fingers right back at ya;)

{{HUGS}}

dukedogsmom
04-14-2006, 06:08 PM
Sorry for not checking in sooner. I hope you're doing a little better by now. Congrats on the not smoking thing! I wish you much success with that as I know it's hard to quit. May you continue to get better and I'm so glad that you're being taken care of so well. I'll check back in with you this weekend. Got to work tonight and sleep tomorrow. Glad to hear from you, friend! Duke sends his love and kisses to his girl, Klo.