PDA

View Full Version : Grass eating, throwing up and malt paste

Kirsten
04-11-2006, 02:28 PM
I think it's the shedding season that's to blame, but there's a lot of vomiting around here lately. I think it's Luna. Almost every day, I find clear liquid with a lot of green grass - but no hair balls!

I bought Petromalt, a malt past, at the vet's, and tried to give it to the girls. They don't eat it, and when I apply it to their paws or fur, I would have to clean up the paste from everywhere, but it would NOT end up in my girls' stomach, so I put it directly into their mouths - or at least I tried.

It's working quite well with Luna actually, she's a good girl with meds, anyway. But it's almost impossible with Lily. She's keeping her mouth shut - impossible to open it - and when you try, she's walking backwards, and as she's a small cat with a very smooth fur, it's impossible to hold her when she doesn't want to. And she's screaming as if you want to kill her!!

So in the end, I put the paste to her lips, hoping she would lick it up from there, but it ended up on the floor, where Luna licked it off - silly girls!! LOL

Kirsten

catland
04-11-2006, 07:29 PM
aww - I feel your pain - Strauss and Joxer have delicate tummies also. (or they eat too fast. ;) ).

Have you tried wrapping Lily up in a towel? We recently had to give Strauss some meds and would get the clamped mouth routine - and at least when he's wrapped in a towel its harder for him to escape.

catmandu
04-11-2006, 07:43 PM
THE MEEZERS TOO HAVE TOUCHY TUMMIES.
I WOULDNT MIND EXCEPT THEY LOSE THIER DINNERS AT THE EXACT POINT WHERE I HAVE TO STEP!!
puuu!!!!

Catty1
04-11-2006, 10:23 PM
Do these two get wet food?

You might try mixing a wee bit of olive oil in it...might help the digestion, and will help their coats(not that they need it!)

Just a thought.

Catty1

Sevaede
04-12-2006, 01:44 AM
aww - I feel your pain - Strauss and Joxer have delicate tummies also. (or they eat too fast. ;) ).

Have you tried wrapping Lily up in a towel? We recently had to give Strauss some meds and would get the clamped mouth routine - and at least when he's wrapped in a towel its harder for him to escape.

That's how it is with Soni and Isis. We usually wrap them in a blanket and go from there.

Where in the Pacific Northwest? My husband and I just moved from there. Boy, I miss it. Well, except for where we were living. We were living in that little craphole called Pendleton. I really miss Eugene, though. And the coast!

Sonia59
04-12-2006, 02:29 AM
Kirsten, it seems that Luna is a "grass eater", like Peppito. When he goes outside, he can't help, just run and eat as much grass as possible (which usually shortens his outside walks very quickly!) and then he vomits, of course. Most of the time there is no hair ball. I think he is grass-addicted. Before we had a garden I was growing grass for him in the appartment, I could not give him before it was fully grown, otherwise within one hour there was nothing left! And when I gave him, he was pulling all of the grass out of the pot and eating, eating...
I am not sure it is a real need of grass in this case, he really looks mad when he smells grass...

G535
04-12-2006, 02:42 AM
My Finnigan is the same with grass, he just has to eat it!

Maybe it's a tabby thing! :D

icedtea
04-12-2006, 03:27 AM
My cats eat the odd bit of grass, but not very much, they just chomp on it because it moves, along with everything else.

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-12-2006, 05:48 AM

Jupiter has a weak tummy like that too... :(

I bought some hairball paste from Dr.s Foster and Smith.. a few years back that Tinky and Jupiter LOOOVED. I can't remember what flavor it was but they licked that stuff up like crazy...

catfamily
04-12-2006, 06:03 AM
My BooBoo was the only cat I let outside.I would walk in the yard with him for a few minutes a day.He loved eating the grass.And of course he'd throw it up.The same with liquid and just grass.No hairballs. :rolleyes: But he enjoyed those outing sessions(just me and him).He'd stay very close to my feet :)

Kirsten
04-12-2006, 01:55 PM
Oh well, poor Luna just threw up again - only liquid and a bit of hair. My poor girl! :(

Kirsten

Edwina's Secretary
04-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Just cleaned up after Edwina....she is outside with me. Eats grass...barfs...eats grass...barfs.... :rolleyes: At least it is outside today so I just hose it off...