PDA

View Full Version : Paid research...

moosmom
04-11-2006, 10:17 AM
I was walking down the hall of the Radiology Therapy Center at Yale New Haven Hospital when I noticed a sign on the bulletin board.

They're looking for healthy people to participate in Pheresis program. They'll pay me $20 for a sample of my blood to be screened for HIV and Hepititis C. Once that's done, they'll set up an appointment to, at which time I'll be connected to two IV's. One takes blood out and separates platelets and the other IV puts the blood back in. Sort of like Dialysis. I'll get paid $200 for my time!!!

Can't wait!! What a way to make some easy money!!

JenBKR
04-11-2006, 10:23 AM
woo hoo I need to find something like that!

Fender963
04-11-2006, 12:09 PM
Easy way to make money if needles and stuff like that don't make you nauseate! I for one could never do that just for money.

catnapper
04-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Woohoo! Where do I sign up? :D ;)

carole
04-11-2006, 05:15 PM
:eek: you wouldn't get me signing up , hate needles at the best of time, still good money, i prefer the focus groups i attend, i have one coming up on online auctions soon, it pays fifty dollars for 90 mins chatting and some refreshments, but i would sooner do that than have myself prodded and poked, but hey girl good on you, you are way braver than me. :)

moosmom
04-11-2006, 05:18 PM
I used to be terrified of needles as a kid, because I was in and out of the hospital with kidney problems. Now, it doesn't bother me at all. I just don't look. And for $200 I can look the other way!!! :p

Suki Wingy
04-11-2006, 09:27 PM
I wish I was old enough!

smokey the elder
04-12-2006, 08:33 AM
I've heard that you can watch a movie at some of the donation centers, to keep your mind off the process. I tried one-arm apheresis about 10 years ago and had such an attack of claustrophobia I had to stop. I can do regular blood donations, but apheresis just takes too long for me.

Good luck! You can do this a lot more often than whole blood donations.

king2005
04-12-2006, 08:47 AM
hmmmm I wonder if they need any test subjects around here. I could use the 200.00 & the 20.00!

jackie
04-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Here is a little warning about ¨easy money¨ research. It sounds like what moosmom is doing is different (not drug testing), but just for others who are considering this sort of thing.

drug trial victims (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4866974.stm)

lv4dogs
04-12-2006, 01:54 PM
I wish they had that near me, I already donate my blood for free I'd love to get paid for it even if it means it is a little more detailed. :p

king2005
04-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Here is a little warning about ¨easy money¨ research. It sounds like what moosmom is doing is different (not drug testing), but just for others who are considering this sort of thing.

drug trial victims (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4866974.stm)

I'd never do the drug testing or makeup testing, as I've seen the hell some have gone through on TV, no thank you!!

Taking blood, or trying out new hair product or tasting foods is all good with me :) even hooking me up to a comp to see how I sleep would be cool.

moosmom
04-13-2006, 11:53 AM
Jackie,

The research I'm doing is nothing like the testing you've described. I don't take any drugs, they simply take out my blood, remove the platelets and put the blood back in. Sort of like dialysis.

jackie
04-13-2006, 03:07 PM
Jackie,

The research I'm doing is nothing like the testing you've described. I don't take any drugs, they simply take out my blood, remove the platelets and put the blood back in. Sort of like dialysis.

Yep, I thought as much. I just added it there for a bit of info about drug testing, sorry to hi-jack the thread.

Uabassoon
04-13-2006, 03:20 PM
I have a few friends that will donate plasma because they get paid for it. Why it's called donating if you get paid I'm not sure! However I can't stand needles so I could never do it. I'll stick to my online surverys for my extra cash.

moosmom
04-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Uabassoon,

I tried doing surveys and all I kept getting were spam emails. How do I get started??

moosmom
04-20-2006, 05:59 PM
WOOHOO!!! There's another research program listed in the Yale School of Medicine Bulletin. They're asking for women, 35 to 68 who are menopausal to participate in a program (I forgot what for - will post it later). They're paying $1250!! I left a message to have someone call me back.

There's one for women 21 to 33 who are willing to donate their eggs for Invetro. That pays $8,000!!

Unfortunately, I'm WAAAAAAAAY past the age group, and the egg farm is SO closed!!! *sigh* :rolleyes:

Russian Blue
04-20-2006, 06:17 PM
There's one for women 21 to 33 who are willing to donate their eggs for Invetro. That pays $8,000!!

Unfortunately, I'm WAAAAAAAAY past the age group, and the egg farm is SO closed!!! *sigh* :rolleyes:

You're so funny with your comments! :D

I can't believe the amount of money being offered. I'd be interested to know what you have to do for the $1250.

I've seen local ads here for experimental drugs for menopause, PMS etc. But they only pay for your transit and supply you with the drugs.

Uabassoon
04-20-2006, 06:52 PM

I don't think it's worth it for only $8,000. I have a friend who has done it twice the first time I think she got $30,000 and the second time around $50,000. You have to take fertility drugs for several months which aren't exactly easy on the body or mind. Then the procedure to retrieve the eggs isn't very fun.

Pembroke_Corgi
04-21-2006, 07:38 AM
The U of Iowa hospitals does a lot of research, so I see a lot of offers at work all the time, but I have never been involved in a study, I hate going to the doctor as it is (although getting paid to see one might be a bit different... :p ). Last year they were offering free liposuction if you were involved in that study- I swear they have offered every procedure at some point!

moosmom
04-21-2006, 07:43 AM
This new program is a 10 week study on hormone replacement therapy and brain imaging. Well, I don't have much to image, but I sure do have the hormones!!! :p