PDA

View Full Version : HELP... bad gift.

catnapper
04-10-2006, 08:58 PM
I came home this afternoon and there was a box on my doorstep addressed to me --- Oh goody! Presents! For ME!

Wait a minute, its from SIL.... ut-oh, what did I get? You have to know, my SIL has a heart as big as all outdoors, but her taste is just awful. I know its the thought that counts but I have no idea what thought was behind this one.... she sent me a plastic cat with a sandbag bottom, dressed in purple and red, all decked out in her "red hat society" finest. Complete with a red feather boa. It makes me wonder if SIL thinks that since I'm going to be a grandma that I'm now old enough to join the red hat society? :eek:

Jen Luckenbach was over for a visit this afternoon - she saw it with her very own eyes.... in all its tacky glory. She couldn't even put words to express its unique appeal :p

NOW, what do I DO with this? I can't have it sitting around.... perhaps I can tell her the red feather boa prooved to be too much a distraction for the cats and they destroyed this marvel of red and purple satin?

I love my SIL, and have "proudly displayed" her unusual gifts before, but this one..... there are no words for how I feel about this. I cannot bring myself to pretend I love it. She was very excited about sending this (I know because she asked me several times if we got her package) and she's coming to spend the summer here with us.... and I want to be polite, but if I continue to pretend I love it, I KNOW more just like it will follow.

Ok, I found something online thats from the same general series.... OMG, if I pretend to love it, I'll end up with the whole series :eek: Hubby was just in here laughing at me about it, because he KNOWS how much I hate this gift, and how much she'll buy the whole series if I pretend I love it. :(

Here's some of the series:
http://warmreflectionsgifts.homestead.com/CATNIP4-1.jpg

AbbyMom
04-10-2006, 09:25 PM
{mmrphf}} [[tee hee]] {mmrphf} Oh, excuse me. I'm so sorry, but I couldn't help but giggle. ;)

Could you tell her that the cats couldn't resist the boa and hat and bows and ate it immediately? :D

Or maybe they went insanely jealous because you adored it so much and they ripped it to shreds?

:D

Seriously, can you graciously accept it and put it out only when she visits? I have a coworker who does this with gifts from her MIL that the cats will destroy. If she gives you more, then perhaps some day you can sell them as a collection on e-bay.

Alysser
04-10-2006, 09:27 PM
:eek: is all I have to say!
Pretend your allergic to feathers? :p :confused:

animal_rescue
04-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Awww I think it's kinda cute! :D

Craftlady
04-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Sorry, I think they are cute.

G535
04-10-2006, 10:27 PM

Haha, me too!

Just put it out when she's there and pretend you like it, not much else you can do without offending her. :)

*JTM*Coco*pi*Caramel*
04-10-2006, 11:39 PM
I saw the series of cats at bowering in the mall the other day! It's so funny to see them here cause I stood there at the mall for awhile and looked at them! I can't imagine what they would ever match but I just like the cat faces haha. I almost bought one (because it had to do with cats lol) but then I was like, " No Marie, honestly where would you put that and where would it ever look good!" Just tell her that you liked the gift but don't go on about it so she feels that she needs to buy the whole collection lol! Then say the cats were constantly attacking the boas so you had to put it away cause you didnt want them to choak on the feathers and you didnt want it to get damaged! Thats what I would do!

Pam
04-11-2006, 05:10 AM

I do too. :) In my house the feathers would never make it. My boys would have it ruined in five minutes tops and if yours are anything like mine they would too. For that reason you wouldn't even need to tell a *white lie* about why it has been put away. Good luck!

jenluckenbach
04-11-2006, 05:23 AM
I told Kim that it was not something I would buy, but it wasn't that bad. :rolleyes: (she wasn't convinced).

So, what I personally would do is say "Thank you. I appreciate the gift, but it is not cat safe with that feather boa. I may not be able to find a spot to display it safely enough." I constantly tell people that I can't get "this" or buy "that" because there is no way the cats would leave it alone or it's not cat safe.

and by the way............snicker, snicker, snicker.........LOL

moosmom
04-11-2006, 06:14 AM
I'd thank her for it and then put it away. If she asks about it, just tell her that the feathers were a BIG attraction to the cats (which I'm SURE isn't a lie since my cats would be attracted to it) and you didn't want it ruined by them chewing on it. If she's any kind of a nice person, she'll understand.

It IS kinda cute. But like you, I've been given MANY cat things, some that just aren't my style either.

Any way Ashley will let you put it in the baby's room, high up on a shelf???

Barbara
04-11-2006, 07:14 AM
Kim, I know that you have a very good taste - and it shows in everything you do. And these kitties definitely are kitsch :D
On the other hand I think they are far over the top - so kitschy that they are cute again- and I could live with displaying them for some time and then re-decorate.

There are so many people thinking I need every cat kitsch because I like cats and usually I keep them for some time and then you'll never see them again.

BTW- I am sure someone who really loves them would be grateful for the gift in a year's time or so ;)

moosmom
04-11-2006, 07:19 AM
There are so many people thinking I need every cat kitsch because I like cats and usually I keep them for some time and then you'll never see them again

I do the same thing. MOST of the time, I get figurines that I absolutely love. But every once in a while, there's a "tacky" one in the bunch. My daughter is famous for doing that. I display it for a VERY short time, then I donate it to a local shelter for their annual tag sale. When she asks where it is, I make up a little white lie (the cats knocked it off and broke it). :rolleyes:

elizabethann
04-11-2006, 07:41 AM
ME TOO!!

sirrahbed
04-11-2006, 07:54 AM
This post sure gave me the giggles this morning :D :D

The kitties are cute...in a somewhat funny way but I would not buy them. hmmmm.... I think I would put the thing out and let the kitties destroy it and then put it away. It would mysteriously disappear in about a year :p Maybe you could display it in the room where SIL will sleep?? ;)

Maybe she is welcoming you to grandma age - that occurred to me also. I just don't GET this red hat stuff :D

kimboe
04-11-2006, 07:58 AM
Hehehe...they are kinda cute. BUt I don't think I would buy them.
They are Funny to look at.

christa
04-11-2006, 08:03 AM
Kim . . . LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I really needed that laugh this morning . . . I'm just so sorry that it was at your expense hon. ;)

Okay, now what to do with the red hat society kitten? Really I don't have a clue.

I was just thinking about the *meeting* I saw at the Texas Roadhouse last Monday when I was there at lunch with a friend . . . I seriously don't think there was anyone there under the age of 60. I really don't think you would qualify for that. If your SIL is dropping hints, she is crazy. Then again, you know how in-laws are. They know how to hit a nerve, even when they don't do it intentionally! :eek:

Good luck with getting rid of that gift! I with I had an answer for you! I understand why you're so upset though . . . it may be cute in an old lady, red hat society sort of way (no offense anyone) . . . but it's not an age appropriate gift. :rolleyes:

catnapper
04-11-2006, 08:06 AM
Kim, I know that you have a very good taste - and it shows in everything you do. And these kitties definitely are kitsch :D
On the other hand I think they are far over the top - so kitschy that they are cute again- and I could live with displaying them for some time and then re-decorate.

There are so many people thinking I need every cat kitsch because I like cats and usually I keep them for some time and then you'll never see them again.

BTW- I am sure someone who really loves them would be grateful for the gift in a year's time or so ;)
LOL....I saw them in white, all dressed as a victorian lady and they weren't that bad, because they were kinda silly but cute at the same time. In white I would have definately been able to display them somewhere and been ok with it.... but the red hat society?!?!? I have grey hair, and am going to be a grandma in June. Maybe she touched on a nerve I didn't realize I felt so sensitive about (being old before I AM old! :eek: ) I just see it and think "old woman!" and cringe.

I don't know if it'll survive the year... but if it does, I'd be thrilled to send it your way. I woke up this morning and it was way across the room from where I'd left it and the feathers are looking a little gnawed upon :p

Edit: Just saw Christa's response and she said basically what I was trying to say! :D Thanks Christa, you said it better than I did! :D

Cataholic
04-11-2006, 09:07 AM
WAH! I think they are adorable! Really!

Pawsitive Thinking
04-11-2006, 09:08 AM
That's what Ebay is for............

either that or invest in some new outfits for them!!!

BitsyNaceyDog
04-11-2006, 09:10 AM
If I saw it in a store I may think "oh, that's kind of cute", but I wouldn't want it in my house, no way. Christa is right, it's not an age appropriate gift, Red Hat ladies are all over 50.

I have a box of things that Justin's grandma gave me. I keep them in the box and I can get them out and display them before she comes over (she lives in West Virginia, so I don't have to worry about her just dropping by).

I don't really like nicknacks and most people know that and don't buy me things to display. If my mom wants to buy me something she usually asks me before she buys it, one because I don't like a lot of things and two because she wants to be sure it's cat safe.

Karen
04-11-2006, 09:13 AM
For people not familiar with the source of all the "red hat" stuff, I figured I'd post this:

Warning by Jenny Joseph

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandels, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

K9soul
04-11-2006, 09:33 AM
Everyone has different tastes, there's a lot of truth to the old adage "One man's junk is another man's treasure." As far as advice goes, I think you've already received the advice I would give.

I mainly wanted to post about the "age-appropriate" comments. I really don't see how it has anything to do with age :confused:. My mother-in-law used to collect baby dolls but that didn't mean she was a little girl. I've known a person who collected figurines of a grandma and grandpa set and she wasn't elderly or a grandma. I don't think giving "little old lady" cats means she considers you an old lady now or that it's meant as a jab at your age, I just think she thought they were adorable and that you would love it since you are a cat person. Some people who love cats/dogs/horses/babies or whatever like ANYTHING to do with the thing they love, and others only like a certain style or taste.

I just think it's taking it a bit personal to see it as an older person's gift. Someone over 50 doesn't suddenly just get gifts that reflect that and vice versa in my opinion ;).

sirrahbed
04-11-2006, 10:57 AM
For people not familiar with the source of all the "red hat" stuff, I figured I'd post this:

Warning by Jenny Joseph

Thanks Karen - I had planned to search for the source of this and here you posted it - I vaguely remember this poem and wondered if this red hat stuff was related and guess it is :D It is all for fun sounds like and also a funny look at our attitudes and what is meant by getting older.

I have to agree with K9soul - that the things we buy and think are cute are personal and nothing to do with age really. The more I look at these kitties - the more I think they are cute. It is an endearing thought that kitties are also "into" this red hat society interest :D :D The gist was most certainly NOT a jab at aging - just a gift. You may be grandma - but you are awfully young!!

Still, for your sake, I hope your cats enjoy it and it has a temporary lifespan. :D

from Red Hat Society Official Home Page (http://www.redhatsociety.com/info/howitstarted.html)
"The Red Hat Society began as a result of a few women deciding to greet middle age with verve, humor and elan. We believe silliness is the comedy relief of life, and since we are all in it together, we might as well join red-gloved hands and go for the gusto together. Underneath the frivolity, we share a bond of affection, forged by common life experiences and a genuine enthusiasm for wherever life takes us next."

Donnaj4962
04-11-2006, 10:59 AM
:::heh heh heh::: :::LOL LOL LOL::: ahem.... well, they are sorta cute, if you are into cats AND are a red hatter! They look just like something my oldest sister would have since she is into the red hat thing, which I just cannot get my head around, no matter the age! I love the poem (thanks Karen!) and I work with seniors all day, so I get that some are into it, just not me!

But it was very nice of your SIL to think of you, and I am sure she mainly saw the cats and knew that you would like them. She maybe had no idea about the other meaning (purple and red).

I would agree with the majority that you should display them for a while, and then maybe something will happen to them... I mean, you DO have cats after all! :D ;)