PDA

View Full Version : Now that is one fat dog!!

ChrisH
04-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Poor boy. :(
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/Miscellaneous/ashleyTK_405x450.jpg

The fat hound of the Baskervilles
By DAVID WILKES, Daily Mail 08:42am 10th April 2006

As spaniels go, he is hardly a springer. In fact, weighing nearly seven stones, Ashley is at best a sloucher.

Given his girth, walkies can be only a short waddle for the dog whose life was in danger after he was fed huge amounts of sausages, bacon and roast dinners. He ballooned to twice the size he should be, his waist measured 39 inches and he developed bed sores from spending most of his time lying down. The situation became so bad his owners asked a vet to put him down. But he refused and now there is hope for the hound - thanks to a lady called Baskerville.

Brenda Baskerville, who runs a dog grooming studio in Frodsham, Cheshire, has put Ashley on a strict diet. And while it could take a year for him to get back to normal, he's already making progress.

Ashley ended up at Miss Baskerville's after Chester vet John Isaacson refused his original owners' request to put him down and instead contacted English Springer Spaniel Rescue, a charity which rehomes neglected members of the breed. Mr Isaacson said: "Some people cannot resist overfeeding their pets, and this dog was given a fried breakfast and roast dinners until it came to a standstill. We offered to take it on and rehome it, because we knew that he was good natured. His family were happy with that."

Now, thanks to low-fat dog food and no treats between meals, eight-year-old Ashley has already shed a few pounds.

Miss Baskerville, 62, said: "It's impossible to take him for walks. He will go for a potter in the garden on his own now, but he pants all the time from the effort of moving. He is enormous, the fattest dog I've ever seen. But he is a lovely dog and will hopefully get much, much slimmer."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=382591&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=&ct=5

Pembroke_Corgi
04-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Poor thing!! I'm glad he's losing weight.

k9krazee
04-10-2006, 05:06 PM
*sigh* Obese dogs...one of my biggest pet peeves :( I am SO glad hes been rehomed and starting to lose the weight!

Muddy4paws
04-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Personally I think getting any animal that big comes under abuse and cruelty, You can show a dog love but not in a way that can cause a early death and that is certainly not a way to show it .. Just sad :(

critter crazy
04-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Poor doggie!! wow is he huge!!! hope he looses enough weight!! :D

Miss Z
04-10-2006, 05:18 PM
Oh dear, that can't be good. Poor doggie. I hope that he manages to lose some weight before the strain becomes too great on his heart:(

jackie
04-10-2006, 05:43 PM
That is horrible.

Thank goodness someone is helping him.

Ginger's Mom
04-10-2006, 06:26 PM
Ginger is overweight, but not that overweight! I have started her on a lower calorie dog food and we are walking longer. My point is, why would the original owners wait so long and then ask to have the dog put down instead of taking steps to make the dog healthier? It would actually have been easier for them to give him nutritionally balanced meals than cooking so much extra food. I don't understand that. I am glad Ashley found someone to take care of him.

dab_20
04-10-2006, 06:30 PM
That is so sad. :( I hope he gets back to normal... so glad someone is finally helping him.

lizbud
04-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Personally I think getting any animal that big comes under abuse and cruelty, You can show a dog love but not in a way that can cause a early death and that is certainly not a way to show it .. Just sad :(

I agree. Poor dog. :( I hope the owners learned a lesson here & don't treat
another dog this way.

Chilli
04-10-2006, 07:03 PM
Poor dog. :( Atleast he has a chance! Its wonderful that he's now getting a proper diet and is making improvement. :)
And people say Frisk is really fat! :o I know he's overweight, but not quite that bad! :D

zoomer
04-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Poor little guy :( I hope his losing weight goes well

Alysser
04-10-2006, 07:15 PM
Aw! He's thats really sad.:(I agree with Muddy4paws. That is abuse. I'm glad he is losing weight.