PDA

View Full Version : OOOO SO MAD!!!!! Breedism!!!!

king2005
04-10-2006, 10:35 AM
As many of you know I was trying to adopt/foster problem dogs. Luna1 was a no go, Luna2 found a home on the weekend & then today I was offered a 1yr old Walker Hound that needed a ferm hand as hes testing his ranking. I was excited about it & the lady asked how large it the other dog in the house. I said about 60-70 pounds & she asked his breed & I said a staffy.

WELL her nose litterly went up & ON she went saying how all pit bulls are dog agressive & they will fight to the death & blah blah blah.

She said all that even after I told her that he plays with dogs at the off leash dog park & has not once harmed or even looked angry at another dog. ALL Cyrus wants to do is play & give kisses.

I didn't say anything on the phone as I'm at work (she looked up my job & called me, NOT GOOD!!) & I'm beside HR & don't want to get in doo doo.

So I sent her an email.
=====
I'm very againt breedism, & I feel your organization is guilty of this!! I no longer want anything to do with your organization & all contact must come to a halt !!
=====

I have never seen a shelter/rescue group do this before! OOOOO I'm so mad at the Mississauga humane society!!! I'll just go to the Toronto Shelter instead (well not any time soon as I cannot drive & its pretty far away 2-3hr on the bus/train, then with no way to bring the dog home). I just wanted a friend for Cyrus & aid a dog in need. I'm gonna hold off on adopting a dog for a bit, I'm really really pissed off!

Lori Jordan
04-10-2006, 10:43 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this that is not fair to judge you like that it is very unprofessional and rediculous,I'm sure you will find yourself a great dog.Have you ever heard of the ISELL? it is a magazine kinda like the Auto Trader.I seen that they had a Boxer/Pit mix to be given away to a good home,and there are many more let me know if i can help you in any way.

I'm sorry you have been treated like that no one deserves that GOOD LUCK!!

Miss Z
04-10-2006, 10:44 AM
I never thought that a shelter would think that! You would presume that they'd be against that kind of attitude.

Good thing you e-mailed her and told her straight!

king2005
04-10-2006, 10:52 AM
It also hurt, as my old dog was part pit bull. I used him to aid in training dog killers to be normal dogs. used him to train a super hyper collie mix basic commands. used him in aiding young kids on how to properly pet a dog (a parents request). took him to nursing homes, the RRC (crazy people ward) & used him to help teach a mentaly dissabled friend not to fear all dogs & tought her dog body parts & how to tell a male from a female (her dad was pretty neglectful, as shes not a stupid person, shes just a slower learner).

I know how to handle a dog & I'm pretty darn good at reading dogs. Like I've said before the only dog that felt horrible for accidently bitting me was a pit bull, all the other family breed dogs wanted more or had no darn reason to bite me.

Alysser
04-10-2006, 11:28 AM
King2005, I am sorry this happened to you! That women is a real piece of work! :mad: Her organization is wrong about pits! I REALLY am glad you e-mailed her a nasty comment. Good Job!

king2005
04-10-2006, 12:08 PM
I know several members on here who have either more then 1 pit or other breeds of dogs with their pit. So I know they can't all be killers & Cyrus use to run unmuzzled(before the pit ban) in the dog park playing with other dogs for hours at a time & he not once nipped in play or showed aggression.

I understand with the BS going on with this stupid pit bull ban that the breed makes them uneasy. However there is a nicer way to get around it. She could have offered to come & meet Cyrus in his home enviroment & run some tests on him & I would be all for that as its a polite way of making sure the current dog is dog/people friendly. Its just the way her tone changed wen I said staffy... This is gonna bug me for a while & I don't know what to say to Rose, as she kinda expecting a dog for a weekend trial (the 2 dog MUST get along, thats why I wanted a weekend trial & then see how a monday goes with me at work & so on)

Tollers-n-Dobes
04-10-2006, 12:20 PM
That's awful! I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been having much luck finding a dog of your own. It sounds like you do have a ton of experience with dogs. I hope you'll be able to find the perfect dog soon. I did want to say though, could part of her problem have been that Cyrus and this other dog are both males? Obviously a large part was his breed though. I'm just asking because I know I and a lot of other people would prefer not to keep two male dogs in the same house, especially with one being a working breed/Terrier. That is just my opinion of course and lots of people are fine with 2 males together. After having Comet and Winston together I will never again have 2 males in the same house and Winston isn't even the least bit aggressive normally but after a while he couldn't stand Comet and Comet couldn't stand him.

king2005
04-10-2006, 12:34 PM
That's awful! I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been having much luck finding a dog of your own. It sounds like you do have a ton of experience with dogs. I hope you'll be able to find the perfect dog soon. I did want to say though, could part of her problem have been that Cyrus and this other dog are both males? Obviously a large part was his breed though. I'm just asking because I know I and a lot of other people would prefer not to keep two male dogs in the same house, especially with one being a working breed/Terrier. That is just my opinion of course and lots of people are fine with 2 males together. After having Comet and Winston together I will never again have 2 males in the same house and Winston isn't even the least bit aggressive normally but after a while he couldn't stand Comet and Comet couldn't stand him.

I didn't tell her what sex Cyrus was, I just said the other dog in the house. I only used his name after she put her nose up to him being a staffy trying to defend him.

& do you want to know what STUPID question she asked me.
Is he atleast fixed?
Sorry but that is a stupid question in this Province. ALL Pit Bulls are fixed. Like I said he goes to the dog park all the time & I'm sure the cops would have been called long ago if someone saw a couple of nads hanging between his legs. (sorry bad mood)

king2005
04-10-2006, 02:03 PM
I love this pic just need to change Peta to MHS :D

Kfamr
04-10-2006, 02:29 PM
I love this pic just need to change Peta to MHS :D

May I ask what shop you got that from.. I'd love a shirt with that on it!

king2005
04-10-2006, 02:32 PM
May I ask what shop you got that from.. I'd love a shirt with that on it!

I went to cafepress & went to dog & then to Pit Bulls.. I accidently closed it, if you give me a few I'll try to find it again

there you go
Pee on PETA (http://www.cafepress.com/buy/pit+bulls/pitbull/-/pv_design_details/pg_6/id_5191388/opt_/fpt_/c_/hlv_t)

There are SOOO many great Pit Bull shops!!
Cafepress Pit Bull Search (http://www.cafepress.com/cp/search/search.aspx?cfpt2=&copt=&source=searchBox&cfpt=&q=pit+bulls)

Kfamr
04-10-2006, 02:36 PM
Thanks! I've got it in my shopping cart. ;) I've been looking for the perfect anti-BSL shirt for a while ( I search Cafepress' Pittie sites all the time since they are advertised on a APBT forum I'm on)

This is perfect.. anti-PETA and anti-BSL at the same time. ;)

I was going to order this but, I don't like how it shows up on the shirt.

king2005
04-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Thanks! I've got it in my shopping cart. ;) I've been looking for the perfect anti-BSL shirt for a while ( I search Cafepress' Pittie sites all the time since they are advertised on a APBT forum I'm on)

This is perfect.. anti-PETA and anti-BSL at the same time. ;)

I was going to order this but, I don't like how it shows up on the shirt.

You'd have to get the shirt in black. Keep going through the search link I made, as there are just soooooo many great ones! I'd post more phots, but its too much work for my crappy work computer.

Kfamr
04-10-2006, 03:05 PM
I just ordered the one you posts (thank again) as well as one I made a while ago and have been meaning to buy (cafepress.com/pawsforquality.)

They have it available in black (the pittie/bush one) but, the image is brown so it looks funny. I may just make one similar but with black.

king2005
04-10-2006, 03:11 PM
I just ordered the one you posts (thank again) as well as one I made a while ago and have been meaning to buy (cafepress.com/pawsforquality.)

They have it available in black (the pittie/bush one) but, the image is brown so it looks funny. I may just make one similar but with black.

Another good one is the racism one.. it has different human races & then a pit bull. I think its only a few pages in on the search.

Suki Wingy
04-10-2006, 10:05 PM
I really like this one but my mom spotted a few spelling errors.
http://www.cafepress.com/ratemypitbull.22437431
I was going to make one that said "Lovin' Pits for all the right reasons!" with a happy looking pittie on it.

Chilli
04-10-2006, 10:25 PM
Its hard to believe that a shetler would do such a thing!! If you run a shelter you should be doing it for ALL dogs, not for all dogs except pit bulls! I'm extremely glad you stood up for pit bulls and didn't just brush it off. :)
Good luck when you are able to adopt a dog again! :D

mina'smomma
04-11-2006, 10:41 AM
That is such a crock!!! I had a pit bull when I was younger, and she was the gentlest thing around. The only time she got vicious was when my ex boyfriend was beating me. Then she bit him in the butt. They are protective of their family true, but the only time a dog is mean is when it is taught to be mean. That is the owner's fault not the pups. That lady really needs to wake up and smell the coffee. Any dog can be mean and aggressive it raised that way.

king2005
04-11-2006, 10:56 AM
That is such a crock!!! I had a pit bull when I was younger, and she was the gentlest thing around. The only time she got vicious was when my ex boyfriend was beating me. Then she bit him in the butt. They are protective of their family true, but the only time a dog is mean is when it is taught to be mean. That is the owner's fault not the pups. That lady really needs to wake up and smell the coffee. Any dog can be mean and aggressive it raised that way.

Thats what I tried to explain to her. She made comments on how good my old dog was & blah blah blah & how he was a great tool, blah blah blah & then he disslikes Pit Bulls... How can she LOVE my old dog & hate him at the same time? oh thats right, I didn't tell her what breed he was :rolleyes: