PDA

View Full Version : Happy Gotcha Day, Kayleigh!

Glacier
04-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Today marks five years since Kayleigh joined the pack. It was a much smaller pack back then--Kayleigh was dog # 5! I had spent the day helping a friend who's mother had recently passed away. After cleaning out her apartment, we decided to go to the Humane Society. Not sure how that was supposed to cheer us up, but that was our logic! Kayleigh was in the last kennel in the very last row. She jumped up as we walked by and looked me straight in the eye. That probably should have been a clue that she had some issues, but I missed that! All I saw was a big dog in a kennel that was way too small for her. (Kay is a mal-sibe mix) She was already spayed and came home with me that afternoon.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/new%20camera%20dogs/kaytongue.jpg
Kayleigh had been starved by her first owner and needed to gain about 30 pounds. Regular meals were a big hit with her! She's never forgetten that she used to be hungry though. She still keeps something to eat hidden in her doghouse at all times. Currently, she's hiding a bison hoof!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/dogs%2005/kay_chow.jpg
After a brief honeymoon period, Kayleigh decided she was safe here and let all her issues out! This lead to more experience breaking up fights than I ever wanted; a stack of books on dealing with dog aggression; one trip to the ER when she went for Stuart's hand; a few trips to the vet for her and a couple other dogs; one night spent sleeping/crying in the snow with her as I was convinced we were going to have to put her down.

Eventually it lead to the realization that some of her behaviors could not be changed and we would have to change around them. Kayleigh now has her very own pen where she can keep all her toys safe from everyone else, where she never has to worry about her food, and where she has indoor access at will. Kayleigh is a cat killer so bringing her inside was always tough. Now she has access to the heated shop anytime she wants and there's almost always someone out there to pet her.

She's come a long way. She's trustworthy with humans now, even enjoys the occasional supervised visit with our neighbor's 5 year old. She's a happy, goofy dog, the only one in the pack who actually plays fetch!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/new%20camera%20dogs/happyhappy.jpg
Yesterday she had all her toys lined up in a perfectly straight row in the snow! Not sure what she was trying to tell us with that!

I call Kayleigh my problem child, but she's also one of my best teachers!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/new%20camera%20dogs/kaydec.jpg
Happy Gotcha Day big girl!

k9krazee
04-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Happy Gotcha Day Kayleigh!!! :D

luvofallhorses
04-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Happy gotcha day, pretty girl!! :D

Roxyluvsme13
04-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Happy Gotcha Day Kayleigh!!!!!! :):D

buttercup132
04-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Happy Gotcha day keep concoring those issues sweet girl.

chocolatepuppy
04-09-2006, 05:37 PM
Happy Gotcha Day Kayleigh!!! :D

GoldenLuv
04-09-2006, 05:52 PM
She is beauitful

I am glad that you saved her..

Happy Gotcha day cutie pie

Ginger's Mom
04-09-2006, 06:54 PM
Happy Gotcha Day Kayleigh!!! :D Such a pretty name for a very pretty and special girl. I love the first and last pictures. Big Hugs to you Miss Kayleigh, you are very lucky you found someone who was willing to learn the lessons you had to teach. ;)

finn's mom
04-09-2006, 06:55 PM
Yay, Kayleigh! Have a wonderful day!

anna_66
04-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Girl you've come such a long way and I'm glad that you have a home you can call yours forever!
Hope you and mom got to play a little catch today:D

lv4dogs
04-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Happy Gotcha Day Kayleigh!!!! :D I saw the other thread, looks like she had a great fun filled day!

Queen of Poop
04-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Happy Gotcha Day Kayleigh!!! You are a beautiful girl.

Lobodeb
04-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Happy Gotcha Day, Beautiful Kayleigh!

You sure are a pretty girl!

Lori Jordan
04-10-2006, 10:45 AM
Silly Question what is Gotch Ya Day? i have seen numerous post but didnt understand the meaning?

zoomer
04-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Happy Gotcha Day, Kayliegh! You are a gorgeous girl! I'm sure your mommy will give you your best birthday ever.

Sophie and Jupiter
04-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Kayliegh! Look at you! Your gorgeous girlie! Happy Birthday!

Glacier
04-10-2006, 01:00 PM
Silly Question what is Gotch Ya Day? i have seen numerous post but didnt understand the meaning?

It's the day she came to live here. I don't know most of my dogs' actual birthdays so we celebrate their arrival day--their gotcha day!

Lori Jordan
04-10-2006, 01:10 PM
Oh that is cool sorry for asking just wondering what it was ;)