PDA

View Full Version : Does your cat like being groomed with a brush?

Kirsten
04-09-2006, 08:36 AM
It's shedding season, so grooming and brushing may help our cats to avoid nasty hairballs. But does your cat like being brushed?

(Multiple answers possible)

Kirsten
04-09-2006, 08:41 AM
My Luna loves being brushed! I only need to ask her if she wants to, or show the brush to her, and she comes running. She's usually in my lap when I brush her, and all the time, she's purring and gives lots of headbumpies. Sometimes, our grooming sessions lasts half an hour, or even more. :)

Lily tolerates it, but she doesn't like it as much as Luna. She's also purring, but would walk away after a couple of minutes.

Kirsten

catmandu
04-09-2006, 09:43 AM
I have the Found Cats at least tolerating the Shredder,and I am teaching the Kitten Trio early that grooming can be Fun.
With Treats,all things are possible.

lady_zana
04-09-2006, 10:13 AM
Of my four girls, only Grey Girl *really* loves it. Pull out the brush and she's ready to go! Her purr-motor starts at the sight of the brush. Crazy lady, though, she likes to sniff and try to eat the loose hair before I can throw it outside. Silly Grey Girl doesn't realize that there is no point in brushing to prevent hairballs if you're just going to eat the hair anyway! :p

kb2yjx
04-09-2006, 10:34 AM
There is an understanding in the Campbell house, you live here, you get brushed and combed at least 3 times a week(or more depends on my work schedule). It ABSOLUTELY makes a BIG difference in the amount of fur balls I am cleaning up during shedding season!!!

moosmom
04-09-2006, 10:36 AM
My oldest, Mollie Rose, was groomed from the time she was a baby and absolutely LOVES it!! All I have to do is tap the comb and she comes running. Shortie also loves to get in on the action.

The others can take it or leave it.

Edwina's Secretary
04-09-2006, 10:48 AM
You need a choice of "positively hates it and whines the whole time"....

That would be my two....

Miss Z
04-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Zsa-Zsa tolerates it. If it's a normal soft grooming brush to just keep her fur smooth, she doesn't mind so much. It's only when we use the comb, in case she has and lugs and knots, that she gets angry after a while. She never raises a paw, and we only use it very gently, but she doesn't half growl and hiss!:rolleyes:

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Oops, didn't see it was "multiple answers possible" :rolleyes:
Maya: tolerates it, but keep it short please....
Inka: HATES it!! Watch her nails :eek:
Zazou: loves it and switches on her "pur-engine" on full speed!
Snoopy: she is gone before you have the chance to pick up your brush :rolleyes: :D

He he, 4 cats, 4 times different!!

Uabassoon
04-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Tibby loves it, but Corkscrew won't let me get anywhere near him when I have a brush in my hand.

DrNiblik
04-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Dille has pretty long hair, and is insanely vain so she LOVES it! Especially in the warm weather

Felix
04-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Felix HATES being brushed,he bites and claws at me everytime I try to.I get the job done,I wear heavy gloves. :rolleyes:

*JTM*Coco*pi*Caramel*
04-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Caramel tolerates being brushed for awhile but then he thinks it's a game haha! He tries to bite the brush and he beats it lol! Then he wraps his paws around my forearm and "brushes himself" he guides my hand and brushes his cheeks haha! He is so cute when he does that he looks like a little human! Coco on the other hand hisses and growels and will have none of the brush! She will tolerate being brushed though while im blow drying her hair after a bath though!

jenluckenbach
04-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Rutherford ADORES being brushed!! More than any of the others.

Amber barely tolerates it. (and she is the one who needs it the most).

Calvin says "No way, Jose' !!"

catnapper
04-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Depends on who I'm brushing. Allen LOOOOOOVEEES to be brushed. Harry tolerates it for half a second. Abby won't let you brush her unless she's completely blissfully happy on your lap and you replace your petting hand with a brush - then she doesn't mind :rolleyes: Though that move can be triucky because if you jostle her just the slightest bit, she's off the lap and brushing is a no-go.

Pouncer generlally doesn't like to be brushed either. Flutter is ok with it, but like Abby, you have to approach her just right.

Gin
04-09-2006, 05:07 PM
You need a choice of "positively hates it and whines the whole time"....

That would be my two....

I agree with Edwina's Secretary, and maybe you could add "hates it and screams like a banshee." That would be Sassy. The other two are OK with it. Now that shedding season is here, I've been trying to corner Sassy and brush him, but I am sadly unequal to the task. It's time to take Sassy to the grooming wizards at Petco!

catland
04-09-2006, 05:52 PM
Sidney and Joxer both love it. Strauss is coming around. Not so for little girl. Jan doesn't care for it at all.

btw - the favorite brush is my green handled brush that I bought 20 years ago for Lucy and Suds - my kitties at that time. Suds liked being brushed so much that I just had to sit on the living room floor, run my fingers through the metal bristles on the brush, and she would come running up to be brushed. :D

Lori Jordan
04-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Mine crave it!!!

G535
04-09-2006, 10:15 PM
Felix HATES being brushed,he bites and claws at me everytime I try to.I get the job done,I wear heavy gloves. :rolleyes:

He looks like such a little angel too!

Finnigan loves being brushed, he's always hanging around with the brush in his paw. :)

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-10-2006, 05:34 AM
Tinky and Jupiter LOOOVE it.. I hate the brush I have now though.. it just kind of masages them I guess.. It does absolutley nothing to help with shedding...

Kirsten
04-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Thanks for all your replies, I'm really surprised how many kitties enjoy brushing!

"positively hates it and whines the whole time"

LOL, I should have known that Lady Edwina and Eddie are so special that a standard answer won't match their lifestyle! ;)

Kirsten

aki
04-11-2006, 11:25 AM
Chuck HATES it and bites and scratches me and attacks the brush.

I just take him to the groomer and let them deal with his 20 lbs of catitude! LOL

They always tell me he is a perfect angel for his bath and brushout.

Reminds me of confrences when my daughter was little! I was all, who's kid are you talking about! LMAO~

~Aki

Randi
04-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Fister loves being brushed, he actually calls several times a day to come and brush him. Years ago, I couldn't come near him with a brush. I bought a rubber brush that he really likes. He wants me to start on his chin and along his jaw, then along the sides and back, and lastly his tail - all sides. Also, he likes it wet.

Kirsten
04-11-2006, 11:51 AM
I use a soft baby brush for Luna, and she really loves it! :)

Kirsten

Sonia59
04-11-2006, 12:05 PM
you could add "hates it and screams like a banshee."

That's Peppito! With him, better wear metal gloves if you want to try, or if you want to keep your hand! :D

Jasmine likes it. Once you've caught her (she loves escaping when you try to catch her) she's very cooperative, starts purring, lays on one side, and when it's finished, she turns on the other side! :) She's a princess!

Don Juan's mom
04-11-2006, 12:19 PM
I had no luck using a brush on Don Juan. Then, I got a Love Glove (tm), a canvas mitt with a rubber groomer on the palm. HE LOVES IT! He will go in the kitchen, look at the cupboard where I keep it (with toys etc.), and meow until I get it out and sit down to brush him. I think it reminds him of his mama licking him when he was a kitten. :) This is good, as I think he may be developing a sensitive tummy in middle age. :rolleyes:

Zerlina does not like being brushed, but I'm making a little progress with a similar grooming mitt with smaller "bristles." She will let me hold her and gently pet her with the mitt.

Liz

Vermontcat
04-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Samantha loves being brushed, she gets all purry and gives out lots of headbumpies when my daughter or I brush her. :)