PDA

View Full Version : Truck-Chasing

Daisy's Mom
07-31-2000, 08:07 PM
My family and I and our 1 year old Basset Daisy live in a big field and all our neighbors are family who love Daisy. We don't tie her up because she likes to trot around from house to house, playing with the kids and sniffing around. She never leaves the field.... unless a UPS, Fed Ex,or other truck visits my house. Then she chases the trucks out of the field and down the road. It is very scary and she has almost been hit a few times. I yell at her every time but she doesn't stop. I would hate to tie her up, that would be my last resort. Does anyone have any ways to stop dogs from chasing trucks!?

blue_heeler
08-03-2000, 11:07 PM
First of all, you don't need to yell at her when she comes back. That will make her not wan't to came back. When she comes back (if she comes back when told) then praise her. SHe will eventually get used to the method. Daisy obviously thinks that the UPS truck is some kind of predator. She is simply protecting the property. If possible, next time the UPS, Fed-Ex, or any other truck that comes by, give them a few dog treats so the next time they come by so that every time they come they can stop and give her a treat and some praise. This method will teach her that trucks are not a bad thing. I hope I have helped.

http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/tongue.gifRachel http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif

Daisy's Mom
10-12-2000, 08:01 PM
Thanks for your help, she has begun to like a few of the UPS men because of the treat-giving idea... but she still chases trucks and even cars now, I can't beleive how lucky she is that she hasn't been hit yet, you should see her fly at them. It's so scary! She even does it at night when people can't see a low-to-the-ground Basset very easily. Help, anyone! How can I stop this!?

Sudilar
10-12-2000, 10:56 PM
If you don't want her killed, you will keep her in a fenced yard. I don't want to sound harsh, but that is the truth. For her safety, DO NOT let her run loose!! Truck vs. dog: Guess who the winner will be? I hope I made you think.
Su

teena
10-13-2000, 07:56 AM
I agree Su! Would never let my dogs run loose - I love them too much to think about them getting hit. My dogs love to visit the neighbors too, but only when I'm with them. Please, fence in your basset so she has many more years with you.

carrie
10-13-2000, 01:04 PM
Hi,
I agree that letting a dog who has a strong chase instinct is asking for trouble. It is a good idea for Daisy to make friends with delivery drivers but you have to see it from her point of view - it's not the people she is chasing off but strange smelling noisy things that run away very fast when she has a go at them. How satisfying is that? Mega! And it works every time! Add to that the pack leader rushing out every time it happens and adding their voice to the onslaught and Daisy probably thinks she is part of an unbeatable team!
I must admit this is a tough one to cure because her behaviour is rewarded by the truck leaving every time but it can be done. The best solution has got to be building her a safe enclosure for when you can't be with her and especially at night. The alternative is serious injury or worse for your dog and possibly heavy legal fees and enormous guilt for you.

1_girl_and_her_dog
10-29-2000, 07:30 AM
I know of someone that had a dog problem like yours and it was overcome simply by a sit command. They would let the dog go then tell while it was running around she would shout sit and stay. Just improve your dogs siting and staying and the problem should soon sort itself out in the meantime tie the dog up when theres a lorry.

carrie
10-29-2000, 11:49 AM
Your friend has been very good at training her dog but to get a dog to this there has to be lot of solid obedience work as well as a high level of respect. It is of course the ideal that every owner can down their dog from a distance, whatever the distraction. This is not something that can be taught to a dog overnight (or to an owner!). It is also assuming that the owner is with the dog every time a truck is around. Tying a dog with such an ingrained habit of chasing could cause the dog quite serious injury as the chase instinct will almost certainly over-ride the knowledge of the tether. An enclosure, or keeping the dog in the house is really the safest way of dealing with Daisy, at least until you are confident that her remote down is trustworthy in the face of such a distraction.

Doxiedoxie
10-30-2000, 08:30 AM
I agree this dog should not be allowed to run loose. Actually, NO dog should be allowed to run loose. I'm surprised she doesnt take off after squirrels, rabbits and the like,too, being a hound. Either way you are endangering your dog's life by letting this continue, nevermind possibly breaking laws, if she is straying onto other people's property. They may like your dog but that doesnt give you the right to let her roam on their property, possibly defecating on their lawn, etc. Also consider what would happen if a truck was in an accident while trying to avoid your dog and the driver is injured or worse.
Take her out on a lead only , and spend some money on a nice fenced enclosure.