PDA

View Full Version : Tip of the Hat, Wag of the Finger*

Edwina's Secretary
04-07-2006, 06:43 PM
Tip of the Hat To those of you who, every day or nearly every day, say something nice about the dog, cat, or pet of the day. Thank you. You are wonderful and giving and I wish I could be more like you.

I remember how excited I was when Edwina and Eddie were COTD. I was so thrilled with all the nice comments that were made.

That brings me to Wag of the Finger When I open up and see a photo of a cat outdoors I cringe. And not because of my opinion on inside vs. outside but because I know there will be comments about it.

WHY????

If I were the person whose cat was being honored I would be so hurt. Do you really think you are going to convince that person to change? There are many people who chose to have indoor/outdoor cats. My mother always said...."if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Much as I do not like to discourage people from commenting on the animals of the day I have to ask....is expressing your opinion so much more important than the feelings of the person whose animal is being featured?

* yes, I took this from the Colbert Report

*JTM*Coco*pi*Caramel*
04-07-2006, 06:49 PM
I so agree with you 100%. I choose to keep my cats inside and that is my personal choice. Having a cat/dog/pet choosen for that day is a big thing and anything that would hinder that hapiness I don't think is appropriate in that column. I always thought that it was suppose to be for congratulations. No reason to start a fuss over but just thought I would support Edwina's Secretary comment.

K9soul
04-07-2006, 07:01 PM
I agree with you. I do not believe the comments on the dog, pet, or cat of the day should be used to scold or criticize in any way, but should be only positive comments. I cringe when I see a dog of the day with a greenie or a birdie pet of the day that mentions the bird loves a blow dryer because I know there will be admonishments given. Yes there may be some risks and dangers with those things but the dog/cat/pet of the day comments section should not be used for lecturing in my opinion.

catland
04-07-2006, 07:07 PM
I was about to ask if you got this from the Colbert Report - then I saw your comment at the bottom. ;)

ES - I heartily agree. C/D/POTD is for compliments and congratuations.

If you are so moved to have a discussion about indoor vs. outdoor - create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Lady's Human
04-07-2006, 07:33 PM
ES, now knock it off! You're ruining a hard won reputation!

If someone starts a thread with the pros/cons of inside vs outside dog or cat, fine. Fire away. Otherwise, follow the rule you learned as a child, as ES said, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

moosmom
04-07-2006, 07:41 PM
Sara,

Very well put.

Cataholic
04-07-2006, 07:42 PM
I am right there behind you!

Daisy and Delilah
04-07-2006, 08:49 PM
I have to admit that I sometimes get upset and embarrassed for some of the comments that are listed under those for DOTD, COTD, or, POTD. I see it as strictly a place for praise for the pet and owner. After all, it is a great honor and a very important day in the life of that pet and owner. Comments that judge or criticize are totally out of place and not necessary. Thanks for bringing this up. It needed to be said :)

Killearn Kitties
04-08-2006, 07:20 AM
I totally agree with you. Not only is a negative comment not appropriate when the animal is being honoured, but also because it is not going to change the person's mind about an issue. The only effect it can have is to upset the person who should be having an exciting day.

chocolatepuppy
04-08-2006, 07:47 AM
.."if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

I agree. Especially for our DOTD, COTD, and POTD! :)

moosmom
04-08-2006, 08:24 AM
Daisy and Delilah,

I have very often gotten a bit upset by some of things said in COTD. But I'd rather start a thread on it than put a damper on the honor of being COTD.

anna_66
04-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Sara I'm very glad you've said this. It happens all too much and I hope that the same ones doing this, see this post.

Also if I may add...
I've been quite discouraged here lately when people are posting happy things such as picture threads and things like that, when other members have negative comments. If you have a problem with something that memeber is doing please be courteous and pm them.

Randi
04-08-2006, 01:11 PM
I totally agree with you. Not only is a negative comment not appropriate when the animal is being honoured, but also because it is not going to change the person's mind about an issue. The only effect it can have is to upset the person who should be having an exciting day.
I couldn't agree more!! I remember when Fister was COTD and I would certainly have been disappointed had I got any negative responses! C/P/D of the day is a day to celebrate! :)

BC_MoM
04-08-2006, 01:17 PM
People were criticizing someone's COTD because it's an outdoor cat? Oh, my.. I'm ashamed, PT! :(

What about barn cats? They live happy happy lives running around the stables, chasing mice, running around outside.. sounds great to me! :)

But if ever do have a cat, it WOULD be an indoor one.. I wouldn't want it to run off or anything.. unless I knew it would come back or if I lived in the country.