PDA

View Full Version : Dog Walking

zoomer
04-06-2006, 09:38 PM
I was wondering what a good charge was for dog walking? :D I am going to do dog walking when the sun starts up, but have no idea how much to charge, I was hoping to experienced walkers or some people who know about it could help me. Thanks.

BC_MoM
04-06-2006, 09:56 PM
I would say for an hourly walk, $5 is good.. maybe that's even a bargain. That's what I'm planning on charging when I start dog walking.

Are you saving up for some obedience classes for Buddy?

zoomer
04-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Thank you! Do you think people think kids are responsible enough to walk their dogs :confused: It never seems they trust kids...

I was thinking of a harness but since the new collar is working well I think I will save up for classes :)

BC_MoM
04-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Harness is a good idea.

I think most people will trust you..

But so they know you're serious and that they know they can trust you, you should question them, and ask to meet the dog before you walk.

Ask them the dislikes and likes of the dog, ask if he is good with children, other dogs.. that way you avoid hazards. Meeting the dog allows you and the dog to get to know each other.. which is always a good idea in case he gets away on you on your first walk. (Not saying he will, but I said the same thing to myself!) not a lot of dogs would like to come back to a person they have no liking for.

zoomer
04-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Okay, thank you.

jackie
04-07-2006, 12:40 PM
I think 5 bucks an hour is cheap, but i suppose it is all relative to where you live. In a big city, I think 10 per hour is fair.

Vela
04-07-2006, 01:42 PM
You also have to take into account that if something were to happen to someone's dog while you had it in your possession, while walking it, and incurred either vet bills or death that you/your parents could end up being responsible for it. You may want to think about having a contract written up that must be signed by the owners in case something were to happen, that would absolve you of any responsibility as long as you took proper care and precautions to prevent an incident. You may think nothing could happen like that but it does, all the time.

CathyBogart
04-07-2006, 01:45 PM
I charge $15 a walk, and it's anywhere from 40mins to 1 1/2hours. Then again, I live in a ridiculously expensive part of the country. $5 of that is to cover my gas expenses. :rolleyes:

Miss Z
04-07-2006, 01:49 PM
I do dog walking sometimes in spring and summer, but I don't charge. Luckily I have parents who spoil me:p :rolleyes: ! I know a couple of people who do charge and they usually want about £3 an hour, not sure what that is in $s but it's probably 5 like the others have said. Guess my freebies put the chargers out of business.......:rolleyes: then again I only do it when I have time and that's not always that often;)

Flatcoatluver
04-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Luckily I have parents who spoil me:p :rolleyes: !
my parent were like that to but once i turn 15 I have to pay for everything!!

You also have to take into account that if something were to happen to someone's dog while you had it in your possession, while walking it, and incurred either vet bills or death that you/your parents could end up being responsible for it. You may want to think about having a contract written up that must be signed by the owners in case something were to happen, that would absolve you of any responsibility as long as you took proper care and precautions to prevent an incident. You may think nothing could happen like that but it does, all the time.
I think thats a really good idea for a contract. Like I always say better safe then sorry! :)

lute
04-07-2006, 02:31 PM
i think about $5 a hour. when i lived in Nashville i walked a neighbor's dog for $20 a week. i walked her about 20 mins a day.

BOBS DAD
04-07-2006, 02:34 PM
This is a very good post... and you've gotten some really good responses to it. It "is" hard to know what to charge and decipher your responses, as many parts of the country live in differing economic conditions (as mentioned by a few). I would say you should try and compare it to a similar job in your area - say maybe babysitting. Or how much does your local McDonalds pay someone to flip a hamburger??? You can always ask those that you intend to work for what they feel is an honest wage. Most decent, dog loving folks will be square with you.

And finally, I must say that I admire you young folks and your ambition(s). And you are all so bright and articulate as well - I enjoy reading your posts!!! :D :D :D

zoomer
04-08-2006, 01:13 PM
This is a very good post... and you've gotten some really good responses to it. It "is" hard to know what to charge and decipher your responses, as many parts of the country live in differing economic conditions (as mentioned by a few). I would say you should try and compare it to a similar job in your area - say maybe babysitting. Or how much does your local McDonalds pay someone to flip a hamburger??? You can always ask those that you intend to work for what they feel is an honest wage. Most decent, dog loving folks will be square with you.

And finally, I must say that I admire you young folks and your ambition(s). And you are all so bright and articulate as well - I enjoy reading your posts!!! :D :D :D

Thank you!

Like what kind of contract :confused: What should it say :confused:

Vela
04-08-2006, 03:05 PM
Something to the effect that you will exercise proper precuations to prevent any accident or injury to the dog you are walking, but that sometimes unforseen things happen and you and you parents will not be held responsible for any vet bills or loss should injury or accident happen. Most of this time this would not be necessary but sometimes things happen and I have seen quite a few cases like this go to court and it can get expensive. I would just hate to see something like that happen when you are just trying to earn some extra spending money. Things didn't used to be that way, but anymore lots of people are sue happy and it's hard to tell who it will end up being unless something happened. It's just a precation to protect yourself and your parents but it's up to you.

lisahumphreys882
04-10-2006, 06:29 PM
My friend dog walks, I help her sometimes, and she gets $5(canadian) for each dog and its about an hour walk. I think $5-$10 is good.

zoomer
04-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks Vela, you've been an awesome help with this.